Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So whatcha gonna do?

• Stick with iOS

Votes: 273 68.6%
  • Switch to Android

Votes: 92 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 33 8.3%

• Total voters

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
..Who here is switching over to Android now? Or any other operating system?

I sure as hell am.

Tired of this small screen, and the interface has been boring as hell lately.

The HTC One X, Galaxy S3, or Galaxy Journal (Note) is what I plan to get this coming November, if Verizon gets em, hopefully they do.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
..Who here is switching over to Android now? Or any other operating system?

I sure as hell am.

Tired of this small screen, and the interface has been boring as hell lately.

The HTC One X, Galaxy S3, or Galaxy Journal (Note) is what I plan to get this coming November, if Verizon gets em, hopefully they do.

We don't know it will be 3.5 yet.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
iPhone - I am able to upgrade every year and make money off my previous generation iPhone.

PS - If I lost moneyi would still stay with iOS.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If it is staying at 3.5, I'm glad. Why? Because a phone is a phone. If I wanted something larger, I'd get the iPad 3... Which I did. And if I wanted something even bigger, I'd get the Macbook Air 13'... Which I did. I like that the iPhone is compact, battery lasts forever, and it does what I need it to do in a very mobile fashion. I came from an HTC Thunderbolt (huge screen) last year and with 4 hours of battery life with screen on usage, I can't stay I miss it. The thing was a brick...

Phones are supposed to be mobile!

And anyone saying going to Android ... yeah... I came from 3.5 years of Android and I'll NEVER go back. Yes, I rooted, rom'ed every week, and overclocked! I'm glad I don't have to spend 10 hours as week rom'ing my phone to get it to work right. The hardware difference alone makes it worth it.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I just switched from a 4.3" Android to an iPhone 4 last week. Although the iPhone screen is woefully too small, the OS is superior enough for me to overlook, at least in the short run, what I gave up in screen estate. I would certainly be disappointed if the next iPhone still had a tiny screen, but not sure it would be enough to make me switch back to Android.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
With 3.5" screen, I can reach everything with one hand. That's a big plus for me, since when I'm out doors, I'm usually holding an umbrella in the other hand.

4" screen definitely looks better to the eye, but I have to really stretch to reach with one hand.

With 4.3" screen, all of the current phones are too big for my pocket and require 2 hands to use.

Bottom line, I don't think the newest iphone will be enough for me to upgrade. I'm either sticking with my current iphone 4 or trying something else 4" screen or less.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
well right now im using an Android , its an magnificent device but its battery life is terrible. So I'll be switching to the iPhone 4S this upcoming week thus I wouldn't need to upgrade to the iPhone 5. If i decided to skip the iPhone 5 , I'll then get the one after that one. Its as simple as that. =)

Shanekarpi251

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
MN
I just switched from android to an iPhone 4 cause I couldn't stand how glitchy android operating system is and I've been wanting to try an iPhone for a while. Anyways the small screen size has bothered me after using a 4" screen for almost 2 years but it's so clear & responsive I can look passed it. I really hope the next iPhone has at least a 4" screen otherwise I really might have to think about upgrading to it. Love iOS overall especially for speed & efficiency but I know it can be even better.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Until another company can blow my mind with top notch hardware and a silky smooth UI... I'm an iPhone user... regardless of screen size.

Aztec Fight

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Having had a 4+" phone with the Htc evo they are very overrated. 3.5 inches is perfect for a "phone"

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I think I'm going to try out different screen sizes and see which one suits me the best once my contract ends, because the 4S was my first top-of-the-line smartphone experience. I also want to try out WP7/8 and Android ICS. I'm thinking HTC One X/S, Galaxy S3, or Lumia 900, and of course the 6th gen iPhone.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Other than resolution and PPI issues, if a company like Meizu can make a 4" device nearly the size of a 3gs (perfectly fine "1 handed" device), I don't see why Apple couldn't do better after 2+ years without a redesign.

http://www.thephonedatabase.com/Meizu_MX_857_vs_Apple_iPhone_3GS_132_Compare_Phones

And anyone saying going to Android ... yeah... I came from 3.5 years of Android and I'll NEVER go back. Yes, I rooted, rom'ed every week, and overclocked! I'm glad I don't have to spend 10 hours as week rom'ing my phone to get it to work right. The hardware difference alone makes it worth it.

I don't think everyone has the same Android experience. Not everyone is going to need to root/rom/tweak just like jailbreaking. Android is definitely more stable than it used to be and continues to improve.

ICS is quite nice, but I still prefer jailbroken iOS5 at the end of the day. If there is no screen bump, I'd be really tempted to switch. I've been really impressed with the HTC One S, which seems like the perfect dimensions for me. But I'd hate to burn my upgrade (from a iphone 4) before the next iphone comes out. Another dilemma is waiting around for a jailbreak which seems to be getting tougher and taking longer with each device/OS release.

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
Obviously it's still a rumor at this point, but a probable one. I, for one, hope that it does stay at the current size. Also, the iPhone is truly a beautiful, functional, solid, and quality piece of kit, all-around, with an excellent OS to boot, so I'm staying put regardless.

There are some good (even excellent) aspects to some of the Android-based smartphones out there, but they're just not my thing--often, the hardware is shoddy looking/feeling, or the OS requires a commited process of tinkering, tweaking, and maintaining for optimal utility. That's not my idea of fun, but I get that some people enjoy it.

So, a bigger screen?
On the iPhone, no way thanks. IMO it looks downright silly to see people holding these oversized slabs of kit up to their heads to talk on, or to see them trying to stuff them into their pockets. Not my thing. At all.

Also, I'm really not that interested in trying to make my smartphone into more of a home entertainment system on the go than it already is....if I want to watch videos, movies, or play games--and really enjoy it--that's what my luscious iPad and its exceptional display is for!

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
So many people are forgetting the actual phone can stay the same physical size they just need to make the screen a little bigger. So much wasted space on the bezel up top and even below. Remove the home button, make it gesture based, make it a bit thinner and increase the screen size to 4 inches.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If it is staying at 3.5, I'm glad. Why? Because a phone is a phone. If I wanted something larger, I'd get the iPad 3... Which I did. And if I wanted something even bigger, I'd get the Macbook Air 13'... Which I did. I like that the iPhone is compact, battery lasts forever, and it does what I need it to do in a very mobile fashion. I came from an HTC Thunderbolt (huge screen) last year and with 4 hours of battery life with screen on usage, I can't stay I miss it. The thing was a brick...

Phones are supposed to be mobile!

So your solution to people wanting a phone with a bigger screen is to get an iPad (not a phone)?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Well according to iMore its a forgone conclusion, a fact, an absolute since they have people in the know. Honestly the only guarantee in life is death and taxes, you know death and taxes.

So I am optimistic that Tim is Cook(ing) things up in the lab doing things better and bigger.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
This is what we call a hit and run. One post, meant to cause rage, confusion, and arguing among MacRumors users, and then we never see the OP again!

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Nobody knows what Apple will do till they release info themselves, which is going to be months to come. I seriously doubt they will stick with 3.5" though, there is way to much pressure and demand for a larger phone, no not Note sized or anything like that, but obviously majority want at least a 4" screen. Look at every poll on ever forum, 4" always wins and Apple monitors this and other boards, hell like any company they monitor forums in general (that even have nothing to do with Mac's) when they pick up any chatter like this.

I'd bet cold hard cash that if Apple were to send out a mailer to every single iphone user and gave them multiple choice of what screen size they would prefer, 4" would win over the 3.5"

It's not like the phone would be massive or anything, hell my GSII has a 4.3" screen yet in a form that's barely larger then the 4/4S case. If other's can do, Apple can do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.