Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Can you use an iPad charger to charge an iPhone?

I ask because I just noticed that the smaller USB charger for the iPhone is 5W, whereas the larger USB charger for the iPad is 10W.

Thank you

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Can you use an iPad charger to charge an iPhone?

I ask because I just noticed that the smaller USB charger for the iPhone is 5W, whereas the larger USB charger for the iPad is 10W.

Thank you

Lots of different people asking the same questions on this forum. Just saying

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Lots of different people asking the same questions on this forum. Just saying

I did a qucik search 1 page and must have missed it. I just did another search and looked back a couple of pages and found the answer.

Your point is well taken, However, it would have been just as easy to add in yes or no; just saying

Last edited:

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I did a qucik search and must have missed it. Would have been just as easy to say yes or no; just saying

Yeah I don't think the search feature on here is very good. If you read some of the other threads you will see that yes it will charge but it could cause future problems.

That's why I didn't just say yes or no.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I also had the same question, good to know that it will work.

I find it funny that folks will chastise other posters for not using the search function. 99% of the time, just giving the answer to the question is shorter than that scolding. And, who cares if the same question gets asked multiple times anyway? Lets face it, it is easier to ask again than to search for the answer, kinda like asking your wife or gf where stuff is in the refrigerator vs opening the door and looking. Just sayin.....

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Yeah I don't think the search feature on here is very good. If you read some of the other threads you will see that yes it will charge but it could cause future problems.

That's why I didn't just say yes or no.

Good point; Thanks.

Since you mentioned future problems I went surfing on the Applesite, and found that if you buy an iPad charger, it shows it is compatable with a bunch of Apple stuff to include the iPhone:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A

That tells me ther shouldn't be any problem using the 10W iPad charger on the iPhone.

Last edited:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
There may have been something wrong with my phone but I used my wife's iPad 2 charger on my old 3GS and it got really, really hot. I had to let it cool overnight before it would act right again. I have since sold the phone and have a factory unlocked 4, but I am afraid to use the iPad charger ever again. although I know it is supposed to work just fine.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
There may have been something wrong with my phone but I used my wife's iPad 2 charger on my old 3GS and it got really, really hot. I had to let it cool overnight before it would act right again. I have since sold the phone and have a factory unlocked 4, but I am afraid to use the iPad charger ever again. although I know it is supposed to work just fine.

My iPad charger is in my bedroom, and I plug my iPhone 4 in it every night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.