Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
I have a project the crossed developed on os x and linux using gcc. Up till gcc 3.3 everything was fine and happy. When tiger came along with gcc 4.0 i started getting weird warnings, and the software has runtime errors with sockets. I have been using gcc_select to get by.

With gcc 4.0 get these build errors.

Code:
comm.c: In function 'co1900_new_connection':
comm.c:1798: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'getsockname' differ in signedness
comm.c:1804: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'accept' differ in signedness
comm.c: In function 'co2000_new_descriptor':
comm.c:1863: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'getpeername' differ in signedness

Code:
1789: 	getsockname(s, (struct sockaddr *)&isa, &i);
1804:    t = accept(s, (struct sockaddr *)&isa, &i);
1863:    rc = getpeername(desc, (struct sockaddr *) &sock, &size);

I know that this is limited information but any ideas as of to why gcc 4.0 doesn't like this lines well help.

Also in a seperate project under the same situation happened with gcc 4.0 vs gcc 3.3 and bsd sockets.

Code:
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -DCIRCLE_IPV6 comm.c
In file included from sysdep.h:268,
from comm.c:14:
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:99: error: two or more data types in declaration specifiers

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Try changing your declaration of i from "int i" to "unsigned int i"

It is complaining that you are passing a pointer to a signed type when the prototype requires unsigned (or vise versa).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
broken_keyboard said:
Try changing your declaration of i from "int i" to "unsigned int i"

It is complaining that you are passing a pointer to a signed type when the prototype requires unsigned (or vise versa).

thanks that helped a lot. i have problem narrowed down to bind() now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.