Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
I haven't had time to use my 4th gen 64GB Touch the last few days, and after three days unplugged, the battery is down to 20% and needs to be recharged. Is that normal? I did leave WiFi on, and I didn't bother to shut down Safari or anything else. What about when WiFi is off? What is the expected "standby" time?

FTR, I get at least 3-4 continuous hours use when actively using Safari with brightness at about 70% or so.

FubsyGamr

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2010
I would say that the first thing to check is your open applications, by double-tapping the 'home' button. If you have it full of open apps, then it will drain your battery life a lot faster than if you do not. To close them, press and hold on any of the apps, and they will begin to 'jiggle' just as if you were deleting/reorganizing. Then press the red has mark (-) to close them.

And my battery takes 2 or 3 days to completely die, if not longer, with me using it just an hour or two a day to listen to music/play games.

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Wifi and the screen brightness would definitely affect how fast the battery drains.

4 to 5 hours of wifi usage on a fully charge battery would sound about right.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Mine serves three purposes: streaming of music via Bluetooth, web browsing/news, and email over WiFi.

If I don't stream music, I can make it last for at least 3 days without needing to charge with just email and web browsing.

If I stream music...a day and a half at the most. That's assuming an hour's worth of streaming every day. Bluetooth kills the lil thing.

battlekid

macrumors regular
LOL.
3 days? Lol. At least you are not one of the "my ipod is at 20% after 2 hours of 3D gaming, wtf?". Lol.

Let me tell you, my ipod ticks 1% every 20 sec.... Thanks to an obscene amount of MobileSubstrate addons.... Maybe it's time to remove winterboard, folderenhancer, infinidock, iconolclasam, SBsettings, and more... Hell, I should remove the numeric battery mod because it drains battery! Lol. Just accept the battery life, its great as it is....

chrissmith33

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
the same thing happened to me but instead of of doing standby turn ur iPod completely off if you know that you aren't going to use it in while and remember that standby still wastes battery because the display screen has to be up and ready also look in the app store for apps with further info on how to prevent battery life from shrinking so dramatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.