Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Any idea on how to do this? When I launch the remote app it just says Home Sharing and Add and iTunes library, but I just want to control the apple tv.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I'm having a similar problem. Home sharing is enabled, their both on the same wifi network, and the Remote app still won't find the AppleTV.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
If you have a new ATV (the 1080 ones thats just came out) you are SOL until they release an update. Wont work.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S)

mbell1975 said:
If you have a new ATV (the 1080 ones thats just came out) you are SOL until they release an update. Wont work.

I had no problem setting up my ATV3 with my existing network. Remote.app works just fine with it and I still have my ATV2 running in the bedroom as well.

jkeith0919

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Are you on 5.1? Doesn't work on my iPad or 4s and a ton of others can't get it working either. There is no ATV option, just home sharing

I'm on 5.1 & the remote app is working on my iPhone 4 & iPad 2. There is no ATV option for me either, just had to enable home sharing on all devices & I believe in iTunes.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I'm on 5.1 & the remote app is working on my iPhone 4 & iPad 2. There is no ATV option for me either, just had to enable home sharing on all devices & I believe in iTunes.

So once you enable home sharing on all devices you can control your ATV? This makes no sense to me. My ATV is hooked up to my TV, not my computer.

jkeith0919

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
So once you enable home sharing on all devices you can control your ATV? This makes no sense to me. My ATV is hooked up to my TV, not my computer.

But your iPhone/iPad is not hooked up to your TV. If you want the app to work, you have to enable home sharing on your account & then on your devices.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
I just got my new Apple TV today. It seems to be working okay. I connected it right out the box to the TV, enable home sharing, downloaded the remote app, and everything is working fine. In fact, I'm typing this while airplay mirrored to my TV.

My phone is a 4S running OS 5.1. my Windows PC is running the latest iTunes, and the Apple TV is running whatever it is out-of-the-box.

chrisu91

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Are you on 5.1? Doesn't work on my iPad or 4s and a ton of others can't get it working either. There is no ATV option, just home sharing

Yes I'm on 5.1. I enabled home sharing on all my devices, which is likely how I got it to work. It was my first time setting up Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.