Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
I have a screen protector on my iPad 3 right now and I hate it. I would so much rather just not have it. I treat the iPad exceptionally well. Do I really need it? I have a smart protector. I also have a carbon fiber backing. I like those just not the protector.

No you don't.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
It really does not wear off from use.

Even Apple (in the iPad user's manual) says the coating wears off with use. However, what's the point of using a screen protector to preserve the coating? You're going to be buying a new iPad in a year or two anyway. Perhaps the best reason to use a screen protector is to help get another $40 or so when you resell it.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The overheating of the new ipad will melt the screen protector anyways so there's really no point of having one on.

CreedBratton

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I bought a dark grey smart cover, a Belkin case for the back of the iPad and a generic Belkin sleeve for tablets. I also bought the Zagg HD protector, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I am paranoid because I scratched my iPad 2, but everyone is telling me not to put it on. I am extremely OCD with my electronics, but love the look and the feel of no screen protector.

Thoughts?

OnEMoReTrY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted

CreedBratton said:
I bought a dark grey smart cover, a Belkin case for the back of the iPad and a generic Belkin sleeve for tablets. I also bought the Zagg HD protector, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I am paranoid because I scratched my iPad 2, but everyone is telling me not to put it on. I am extremely OCD with my electronics, but love the look and the feel of no screen protector.

Thoughts?

Manup, it's an iPad not a sacred shrine

metanoiac

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2012
You don't need a screen protector.

For a phone, a screen protector MIGHT make sense, because you are often carrying it in a pocket with loose change, keys, etc.

I don't really see this to be true for an iPad (though you might want to put it in a sleeve or case for carrying it around).

See http://academipad.joachim-scholz.com/2012/03/02/ipad-accessories-not-buy-screen-protectors/ for more info.

----------

Thoughts?

If everybody is telling you not to put it on, and if you like the screen more without a protector anyways, I think the choice is clear: Return the Zagg.

You don't need a screen protector for the iPad. The whole thing about screen protectors (minus maybe anti-glare ones) is created by marketing propaganda. See the link above.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The reason I put a screen protector from the get go is to preserve the oleophobic coating. This coating wears off in time.

I purchase screen protectors that are not cheap, have oleophobic coatings themselves and do not scratch as easy.

I also take my time in installing the screen protector which leaves me with a dust free, bubble free, lint free install.

So you use a screen protector to protect the coating that helps keep the oil on the screen from causing a mess because you are worried about it wearing off? Now that is amazingly silly!

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
If you don't mind scratches take it off. If you want to protect it for future resale or you want to be safe keep it on.

Dane9

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Protect your ipad don't be stupid!!!!!!!!

When you scratch it you will regret of not used protector.

You don't lose nothing, buy a cheap screen, i have one and i feel more safe using IPAD

I bought one for 1$ on ebay, and is perfect

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I got a scratch on my iPad 2 without a screen protector, but I still didn't put one on that one or my new iPad. I didn't even notice the scratch unless the screen was turned off and the sunlight was hitting it just the right way. I really really hate the look and feel of them on the screen of the iPad, and I think it would be worse with the retina screen.

omyard

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I've never used a screen protector on any of my iPads.

I did have some on my iPhone 3G and 3Gs, but I would end up taking them off after a bit of use. I never really liked them.

May 8, 2008
I have a screen protector on my iPad 3 right now and I hate it. I would so much rather just not have it. I treat the iPad exceptionally well. Do I really need it? I have a smart protector. I also have a carbon fiber backing. I like those just not the protector.

I've never used screen protectors.

I used my 3GS daily for two years without a single scratch on the screen. The same went for my iPad and iPad 2 (which I let my cat play games on right before I sold it). The same currently goes for iPhone 4S and new iPad.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
So you use a screen protector to protect the coating that helps keep the oil on the screen from causing a mess because you are worried about it wearing off? Now that is amazingly silly!

To each his own dear sir. It's sad you put it that way. The only thing silly IMHO is knowing you're gonna lose something and doing nothing about it. Plus, I love my screen pristine. Besides, it is the main face of the iPad.

Go ahead and use your iPad naked. See you here in a few months time when you post your frustration in maintaining a clean screen.

Genebaby

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
If put on well you can't tell the protector is on. This is hard to do, that's the problem.

I redid all my idevices and the results are fantastic. No reason to not have the protectors on.

Plus I did not like the feel of the glass during the week I didn't have it on. My finger glides nicer with the protector on.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
I put them on my kids devices. I go raw on mine.

If you were my kid you would have one on yours.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Yeah, that coating does wear off, it's very finite.

As for the protector, to each their own. Considering the "retina" display, and the iFixit blurb saying how difficult it is to repair this, I'm using one. When the rest of this thing has scratches all over, I'll pull it, but for now, I'm keeping it. Besides, it offers a significant layer or protection in my application - one would be amazed at how much protection a thin layer of plastic provides when working with hard parts, and glass surfaces. That, and I have to wear gloves in this environment, and the bare screen is near impossible to use.

If you put them on right, not much in the way of visual degradation, or texture. The grease spots I'll give you, but a non issue in my case.

Besides, I paid all of 7 dollars for 2 (with free shipping), the 2nd one I'm going to use on the insanely expensive microscope objectives I've got kicking around.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Always. A good screen protector is a cheap investment that offers peace of mind. I've used them on iPhones an iPads and install them bubble/dust free every time.

Optically, I've never noticed a difference.

Helps resale as well.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I owned the ipod touch 2g, ipod touch 3g, an iphone 4s and I have never used a zagg or bodyguardz on the front glass screen. Never got any scratches.

How do I do it? Dont put it with your keys or metal objects.
Easy enough. Save money. Enjoy your screen!

Dont listen to people who say you need a screen protector. They are prolly OCD to maximum drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.