Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should iPads come with headphones?

• Yes

Votes: 228 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 148 39.4%

• Total voters

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Surely apple could throw in a cheap pair of earbuds with their 500-800$ device.

I suppose it's acceptable that they didn't come with the 3 because apple already took a bit of a profit reduction from refusing to raise the price, which I am eternally greatful for.

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
No, because they are only of (dubious) value for those customers who are using the iPad for listening to music, yet are still willing to cope with the crappy OEM earbuds Apple is providing. In fact, I wish Apple would do the same with iPods. So many people don't even realize what they're missing.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
No, because they are only of (dubious) value for those customers who are using the iPad for listening to music, yet are still willing to cope with the crappy OEM earbuds Apple is providing. In fact, I wish Apple would do the same with iPods. So many people don't even realize what they're missing.

I'm with you on this one. Although I enjoyed my Apple headphones with my iPod Nano in the beginning, I got a much better and higher quality pair of headphones than Apple.

Since Apple supplies them, people just stick with it, and I am assuming under the conditions that the Apple ones breaks or fail, people will go out purchase the same ones because of the "experience" or whatever.

+1

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Sure I would like it, but the iPad is not just solely for music, so I can see their view of not including it.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Include the regular earbuds so you can use it out of the box while you decide if you want to replace it with something substantial.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Do you expect them with netbooks and laptops?

I'd rather they add some part that costs them the 10 cents than headphones.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I've always found it a bit strange that Apple supplies such bad sounding, uncomfortable headphones with their stuff, considering how perfect-consumer-experience oriented they are. At the least, they should throw in their upgraded in-ear headphones, those ones are at least tolerable.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I use the 4S headphones when I jog. I like them, with the cool volume switch and button.

What kind of audio quality am I missing and how much do you pay for your super music headphones?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I voted no on the basis that I never use the stock Apple earbuds. I guess however, for those that do, I don't think it's too much to ask.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Wirelessly posted

Upgrading your headphones is something you should consider. I purchased a pair of Bose in ear headphones a year ago and they sound fantastic. Never going back to the apple ones again. Quality isn't there and my Bose have lasted longer than the apple ones ever did.

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
I use the 4S headphones when I jog. I like them, with the cool volume switch and button.

What kind of audio quality am I missing and how much do you pay for your super music headphones?

You definitely don't have to enter audiophile territory to *significantly* enhance audio quality. For example, you can get the Klipsch S4i from amazon for 70$ - they even have the same volume control / button / microphone as the stock ear buds.

radiobrmc

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
The music quality on the iPad 3 is pretty bad - at least relative to Iphone 4S and Ipod Touch (2nd gen) I have. So no, I don't think you should be using the Ipad as a music player. Just use your iphone or ipod. Apple is trying to tell us something providing no earphones.

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
I never understood why manufacturers included headphones with their devices because the supplied ear buds are rubbish, Apple ones included. The quality is offensive. If you enjoy music, you should invest in a quality pair of buds or cans and move them from device to device. Your ears will thank you for it!

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I really don't get the quality issue with the apple buds to be honest. They are not going to package the iPhone or any device with big ear muff type headphones, if you want quality, why would you use in ear buds anyway. The Apple ones do a good job.

Oh, and don't buy Beats by Dre, you will look like a moron.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
If they had been supplied, mine would still be in the box, just like the remote that came with an old MacBook. It's as much about the impact on the environment as it is about cost.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I suggest you try some decent in ear buds, you might be in for a serious surprise.
Hate, hate, hate them. What do you think I have been living in a cave and have never tried in ear buds? They're offensive, a monstrosity to the human ear, truly despicable.
But at least they don't make you look like you can't read and write (Beat's).

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Hate, hate, hate them. What do you think I have been living in a cave and have never tried in ear buds? They're offensive, a monstrosity to the human ear, truly despicable.
But at least they don't make you look like you can't read and write (Beat's).

Not sure what that is in reference to, but I own a pair of power beats that I use in the gym, and they're the best pair of in ear buds, or otherwise that I have owned.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not if they're the same **** ones that every iPhone & iPod came with. I don't need another set of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.