Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safarilogo.jpg

Apple has released Safari 5.1.5 just two weeks after the release of 5.1.4. The update is a minor one, however, with just one noted bug fix:
Safari 5.1.5 contains a fix for an issue that could affect website usability when running Safari in 32-bit mode.
The issue with 32-bit mode had been noticed previously by several of our readers.

Safari 5.1.5 can be downloaded from Apple's Safari download page or via Software Update.

Safari 5.2 was seeded to developers earlier this year as part of the Mountain Lion preview release. Among the new additions are a unified address/search bar, new persistent Reader icon that is blue when available and grey when inactive, and new URL styling to highlight the domain the page is on while deemphasizing other aspects of the URL. It should be available later this year.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 5.1.5

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I hope the tab switching white page flash is finally fixed. :rolleyes:

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Until they fix that page-reload 'feature' forget it.

I think I just ran into this issue... All my Safari windows and tabs just refreshed. I was typing an email and had just saved thankfully!

Did I experience the page reload bug?

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wait for it... Safari is getting better. It's ok on Lion but a bit slower compared to Chrome.

The new Safari in Mountain Lion DP2 is a real SCREAMER though! It has some nice improvements and it's really fast. :cool:

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
In light of the mention of Mountain Lion, is it possible to have two different versions of OS X on the same drive? I remember back in the day you could and would just "bless" the one you want active.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
My Safari is totally screwed up :( I haven't installed this update yet but since I wiped my machine and did a clean install of Lion Safari and even other browsers have been TOTALLY screwed up!

- Flash plugin won't work even when installed it crashes literally 100% of the time.
- Videos hardly ever play even when in HMTL 5 etc.
- iCloud and me.com crash every time.

Am I going to have to reinstall the entire OS or is there something I can do to fix this? It is driving me CRAZY! I have installed and uninstalled the latest version of flash directly from Adobe's site several times. Nothing has worked.

HELP!!! :(

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Now if they could just fix it being such a god-awful memory hog...

(Seriously, I looked recently and Safari and WebProcess together were using over 6 GB of real memory. Yes, that's with 100-200 tabs open, but that's still at least 30 MB per tab; there's no way it needs that much, and it most definitely doesn't need to keep it all in real memory. I've actually switched back to Firefox, which has its own problems, but at least it leaves me some spare RAM for other applications.)

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Safari is finally making a comeback, I tried the Safari 5.2 beta and It's screaming fast, also makes it so you can search in the address bar just like Chrome..

----------

My Safari is totally screwed up :( I haven't installed this update yet but since I wiped my machine and did a clean install of Lion Safari and even other browsers have been TOTALLY screwed up!

- Flash plugin won't work even when installed it crashes literally 100% of the time.
- Videos hardly ever play even when in HMTL 5 etc.
- iCloud and me.com crash every time.

Am I going to have to reinstall the entire OS or is there something I can do to fix this? It is driving me CRAZY! I have installed and uninstalled the latest version of flash directly from Adobe's site several times. Nothing has worked.

HELP!!! :(

I would try a software called Onyx, It's a free maintenance tool, It may fix the problem..

Bernd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
For Snow Leopard it has a bug fix OS X 10.6.8 Server with a software update stability fix and Safari. Don't ask me how updating Safari fixes an issue with OS X 10.6.8 Server Software Update

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
The "status bar" keeps popping up whenever I open any new windows after closing another window. Weird.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Weird. Its not showing up for me on SU and when i went to the actual download page that gave an error too.

*shrug* maybe i'm just not meant to download 5.1.5

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
5.2 is vey nice. i recommend you guys try it. id use it as my daily browser but i refuse to install flash on my air and i go to WSHH alot and thats all flash based :/ chrome for me i guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.