Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should iPads come with headphones?

• Yes

Votes: 228 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 148 39.4%

• Total voters

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Lord only knows how many apple earbuds are in my drawer....I have never used them except maybe when they came with the original ipod. I have since invested in better headphones which offer better fit, form and function. If apple is going to provide headphones then they should at least provide the in ear buds...I had a pair of those and they were very pleasant....

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
And with an iPad? Does anyone use an iPad as a portable music player? Really? I was at a poker game recently and I saw a guy using his iPad as an mp3 player, looked ridiculous.

When I'm at a coffee shop, I don't want to be loud and rude. There are lots of videos and games and websites that have sound.

A complimentary pair would be nice. Some people use them. Some don't. Toss 'em if you don't.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
If the iPad came with Audio-Technicas ATH-M50 plus Headstage Arrow Amp at no additional cost then yes. If it is those cheap headphones that make you go deaf then no.

If it is crap then do not include it and save me money. I never use Apple headphones and never will.

Really Apple needs to get with the program and include a decent pair of bluetooth headphones. I currently use my Sony bluetooth headphones for non serious listening.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I voted yes even though I have a 3rd party set of headsets that I like (that have the microphone and remote).

Mainly cause, as some one else pointed out, it's a pretty expensive device, they are cheap headphones, just be a nice gesture *shrug* that I don't think would cost them much.

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
Don't knock the Beats by Dre, I have a pair of black solos and quite honestly they are awesome, they fold up small, have a convenient case for them and the sound is amazing and they block out the noise to people sitting around you, I HATE that when I am on the Subway and some moron beside me is blasting his music and I have to hear all of it in it's crappy glory.

They are not cheap, but they are durable, mine are over a year old now and take constant abuse from myself and my kids.. love them!
If you like bass in your music or listen to Dubstep or anything heavy bass, those are your headphones.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Don't knock the Beats by Dre, I have a pair of black solos and quite honestly they are awesome, they fold up small, have a convenient case for them and the sound is amazing and they block out the noise to people sitting around you, I HATE that when I am on the Subway and some moron beside me is blasting his music and I have to hear all of it in it's crappy glory.

They are not cheap, but they are durable, mine are over a year old now and take constant abuse from myself and my kids.. love them!
If you like bass in your music or listen to Dubstep or anything heavy bass, those are your headphones.

They are ok but for half the price you can get something of better quality and sound, further they are marketed by monster, a company that likes to screw customers into paying 80 for HDMI cables that arent any better than the 5 dollar set you can get on amazon.

.... to the topic adding those crappy ear buds to the package would probably boost cost, I mean look at the markup on these things they are probably made for 25 cents and sold for 29 dollars at retail price. Further, I am betting 80% or higher of ipad buyers already have a set of head phones.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
How much did you pay for your Bose and do they stay in your ear when jogging?

Bose are pricey, the ones with in-line controls are $129 retail, though I'm sure you could find them for around $100 if you shop around. But yes, they stay in your ears -- in fact, I've gotten painful yanks on my ears by inadvertently pulling on the cords but they still stayed in. The sound quality is really good, plus they have Apple-level customer service. I'm losing track of how many earphones they've replaced for free for me. I just had one replaced that I had for little over a year, and the connection to one of the earphones had worn out. We walked into a Bose store, and they gave us a new one on the spot. I tried several $30-40 earphones before I bought my first Bose earphones, and they never lasted more than a few months. Bose not only sounds better than those earphones, but has always lasted at least a year, and been replaced when they do fail, so I feel I'm getting more than my money's worth with them.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Hate, hate, hate them. What do you think I have been living in a cave and have never tried in ear buds? They're offensive, a monstrosity to the human ear, truly despicable.
But at least they don't make you look like you can't read and write (Beat's).

LOL! Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!!

But my opinion is that they are so cheap quality (Apple ear things) that it couldn't hurt for them to throw them in (no real cost loss to Apple). There is more than just music to listen to. If you are on a plane, train, bus etc and you don't want to annoy everyone by forcing them to listen to your movie. A cheapie pair of ear phones might be the way to go imo.

Last edited:

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
It's not a deal breaker but come on, it would be really nice and I'm sure it wouldn't cost them much. The iPad may not be carried in your pocket during a jog like an iPod or iPhone, but it's such a multimedia device that I feel it warrants some earbuds.

It hasn't been a big issue because I'd guess probably 90% of iPad owners already own earbuds from some previous Apple device, and probably 99% of iPad owners own any kind of headphone. Still, when I opened up my iPad and found no earbuds it just felt chintzy.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Absolutely not.

1) Not everyone needs headphones
2) Those that do need headphones may not want Apple OEM which are bottom of the barrel

I like how the iPad is minimally packaged. It prevents both dollar and environmental waste. Consumers will buy the accessories they want and need. Too many times companies pack in stuff to make it appear like they are giving buyers "value," but usually the pack-in junk just ends up in a land fill.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
yeah, i remember my iPod touch 2g came with a microfiber cloth, i used it more than those earbuds that came with it!

Exactly. My iMac came with a cloth that I ended up using for my glasses. A device such as an ipad, that is touched all the time and is a fingerprint magnet should include a 0.10$ cloth. Once again, put a little apple logo on it and you get free marketing whenever a person whips it out.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I think having earphone would make voice dictation easier to the user, but most people don't buy iPads for music as the main function. So I'd have to say a definite maybe :D

Dane9

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Yes iPad is expensive and should come with earphones

Why not?? Why should i spent more money in phones?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes iPad is expensive and should come with earphones

Why not?? Why should i spent more money in phones?

Because it's not a vital accessory. Not everyone needs or wants them so a huge % will become waste.

You could make the same "it's expensive" argument about including a smart cover or a dock or camera connector or other not included accessories. But ultimately, the iPad would be even more expensive if Apple loaded it up with accessories only segments of customers wanted.

Recall the original iPod Photo came with a dock and all sorts of TV connector cables. Starting price was also $499 (30GB). The next generation, the iPod w/ Video did not come with a dock or TV cables. It was $399 for the same 30GB.

When Apple packs in accessories in its products they are not "free," they are "included." A consumer pays for them even if unwanted.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I love the apple earphones. They are a happy medium in sound quality. You can hear everything without having too much bass or too much treble and they are comfortable.

I have used Beats headphones and they are too loud and have too much bass (for what I listen to which is mainly rock).

I'm sure there are other headphones out there that cost more but I can't see how they can actually make an mp3 sound any better.

If anyone has spare apple headphones send them to me as I'll use them happily.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
No, they shouldnt.

Why the hell would anyone want to use Apple earbuds? Unless you still think its 2005 and are under the age of 10, they are incredibly poor and useless earphones.

Even the crappy in-ear ones that came free with my Vita are 100 times better than what Apple offer.

Plus they'll be saving a hell of a lot of money by not including them. Even if it only costs them $1 per set, just look at how many iPads have been sold since launch. Thats one hell of a saving!

----------

I'm sure there are other headphones out there that cost more but I can't see how they can actually make an mp3 sound any better.

Pro Tip(s): Dont use MP3. Do some research.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
What does it hurt

I'm always baffled by people who actually seem somewhat offended that apple includes things they don't use. I doubt the <$1 savings apple would get from excluding those headphones would be passed on to the consumers, so what's the harm. Toss them on Craigslist as soon as you open the box and make $20 back.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
No. Hopefuly it makes them go and buy half decent headphones; the Apple ones being terrible :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.