Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

potterbooks.jpg

The Harry Potter books have been made available as e-books for the first time, nearly 5 years after the release of the final book in the series. The books are available directly from author J.K. Rowling's Pottermore website. The complete collection costs $57.54 in the US.

The books are purchased once from the Pottermore site and can be read via Amazon's Kindle service or downloaded in ePub format for reading on wide variety of products including the iBooks app on iPad.

Article Link: Harry Potter E-Books Finally Available

danielsan26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Though it may initially appear that US credit card holders cannot purchase the UK versions, they can by "gifting" the books to another email address that they declare resides in the UK, with no verification as to the recipient's residence.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The Harry Potter books have been made available as e-books for the first time, nearly 5 years after the release of the final book in the series. The books are available directly from author J.K. Rowling's Pottermore website. The complete collection costs $57.54 in the US.

The books are purchased once from the Pottermore site and can be read via Amazon's Kindle service or downloaded in ePub format for reading on wide variety of products including the iBooks app on iPad.

Article Link: Harry Potter E-Books Finally Available

thanks for the reference. I've been waiting for the day

downloaded the 7 pack and set up a "collection" in iBooks

Last edited:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
One of the greatest book franchises ever. Glad to know I can put this on my iPad and take a trip back to my childhood without having to carry those huge books.

danielsan26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Would there be any reason to get the UK version instead of US? :confused:

The UK audiobooks are read by Stephen Fry, the US ones by Jim Dale. Different people prefer different versions.

The US e-books use more of an "Americanized" vernacular. Again, more of a preference than than anything else.

conigs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
These have been out on the web in multiple formats for a longtime. You just gotta know where to look ;)

And now that the books are officially available at a reasonable price with no DRM, there's no reason to look for those right?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Does anyone know if you can download both a Kindle edition and an epub version?
The website says you can download the book on up to 8 devices, but what if one of your devices is a Kindle and the other is a Kobo or something?
I'm considering buying these, but I haven't decided what reading platform to commit to yet. Obviously epub is the most open, but if I decide to go Kindle in the end, can I switch?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
These have been out on the web in multiple formats for a longtime. You just gotta know where to look ;)
I was thinking the same thing. I know people who have had electronic versions of these books for years. The author really screwed up waiting this long.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Does anyone know if you can download both a Kindle edition and an epub version?
The website says you can download the book on up to 8 devices, but what if one of your devices is a Kindle and the other is a Kobo or something?
I'm considering buying these, but I haven't decided what reading platform to commit to yet. Obviously epub is the most open, but if I decide to go Kindle in the end, can I switch?

Use Calibre and convert them to any format you want. There isn't any DRM on the files.

toddkeeton87

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
upload to iCloud?

hey everyone! Just got the new iPad and while I didn't feel the need for it, it was a bday present so I'm not complaining :) Anyway, how can I upload all 7 books I just bought up to iCloud so they sync across all my devices?

Thx

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I was thinking the same thing. I know people who have had electronic versions of these books for years. The author really screwed up waiting this long.

The problem is that a PDF with janky formatting and lots of typos from the OCR can get in the way for a lot of people. The PDF ones are painful to read on an actual e-Ink device because of this.

Considering it'd take a few hours to fix the typos overall, I'd rather just spend the bucks on the epub. It's actually "cheaper", if I consider my free time worth US minimum wage.

I agree though, that the author really shouldn't have waited this long. A lot of people who would have bought the epub aren't willing to buy now. She could have ridden the wave of the last movie release which could have helped a bit. I would have easily bought these a year ago. Now? I'm not so sure, I'm looking for the next set of books to read rather than going back to re-read it.

----------

If I download the pubs from Pottermore, how do I import them into my iTunes and then my iPad so I can do what you did ?

Just drag them into your iTunes library. Then sync books to your iPad.

toddkeeton87

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
hey everyone! Just got the new iPad and while I didn't feel the need for it, it was a bday present so I'm not complaining :) Anyway, how can I upload all 7 books I just bought up to iCloud so they sync across all my devices?

Thx

Sorry. Just answered my own question. I just put it into a collection and it synced.

ipodinhtown

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Woo hoo!

Woo Hoo! I am excited to see the Harry Potter books in the digital format. I'm not sure how I did it, but I've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, so I'm looking forward to being able to conveniently have the books on my iPad and reading the stories that have been raved about by so many people.

Since I have to download it from the Pottermore website and then upload it, is there any difference between the Kindle version, the Nook version, and the iBooks version?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I just bought the collection - both because I love the books and because for me, this is e-books done right - a reasonable price (average £5.52 a book), no stupid DRM, so I wanted to support that, despite already owning 2 copies of the dead tree versions.

Now my iPad truly is a 'magical' device. Well, kind of... :p

soundr

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Though it may initially appear that US credit card holders cannot purchase the UK versions, they can by "gifting" the books to another email address that they declare resides in the UK, with no verification as to the recipient's residence.

Perhaps your post would be better suited for a thread about the audiobooks. This article is about e-books.

krisatwerk

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
collection 1 ebook or 7?

Hi,

For those who bought the collection, does it come as 7 individual ebooks or 1 big ebook? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.