Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Okay, I've had the 4S since launch day. I've been plagued by battery life issues from day 1. However, it's a random occurrence. The issue seems to be that sometimes it will get hot and drain the battery in a few hours, other times it doesn't get hot and the battery is just fine. At random times, it will get hot just surfing the web (nothing running in the back ground). However, at other times it doesn't do this at all. When it doesn't get hot, it acts "normal" (like my iPhone 4). I've even experienced the 4S getting hot in my pocket before (doesn't happen a lot, but it does it occasionally).

I've tried everything I can think of, but the problem persists. It isn't a deal breaker, but I'm wondering if I have defective HW. If so, I might make a genius bar appointment. On average, I would say I'm a medium intensity user (1 to 2 hours of web browsing, 10 minutes of phone calls, 20 text messages). I take it off the charger at 5:30a.m. and by 5:30p.m. it's around 30%. My iPhone4 would normally be at 70%. I fully believe my battery issue is with the devices heating up at random times.

SO, my question is: Now that everyone has had some time with their 4S, what is your experience with the phone heating up during normal use?

I'm hoping many of you say that you don't have this problem. This would make me feel better about going to the Apple store and talking with a genius.

Cosmo

On a side note, I have the black 64GB version. Wifi stays on all the time, and I use all iCloud features.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
What carrier?

CDMA iPhones will get hot and eat battery when their signal is low.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Not normal. Have it replaced. I have the same phone/carrier. Never an issue. Phone will get warm on a very long call/extended use. Normal for such a device or any phone for that matter. However hot, is another issue.

nivekr11

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted

It use to happen to me sometimes. Something was transmitting a lot of data and phone would not go into standby. Check usage after full charge. Resetting network settings fixed it for me.

SugaredJuggler

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
Holladay, UT
What carrier?

CDMA iPhones will get hot and eat battery when their signal is low.

Wow this makes so much sense now! I have an iPhone 4S on Verizon's network and I sometimes work in a place where there is absolutely no reception and always wondered why my battery drains while my buddy's (who are on AT&T) seem to be fine. Thanks!

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Wow this makes so much sense now! I have an iPhone 4S on Verizon's network and I sometimes work in a place where there is absolutely no reception and always wondered why my battery drains while my buddy's (who are on AT&T) seem to be fine. Thanks!

To be honest I find that on GSM networks phones loose the battery a lot as well. They are constantly trying to find a better signal or reconnect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.