Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Okay, so I have a set in hard cover that I spent well over $100 for when they came out, I have a set in paperback that I spent over $50 for (easier when traveling), I have all of the Jim Dale audio books that I spent over $200 for, and now I'm asked to spend an additional $50+ for the ebook versions?

I think I'll stick with the typos... They don't bother me that much.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just bought the set and downloaded them on to my Kindle. I've been waiting forever to get these as ebooks!:D

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The Harry Potter books have been made available as e-books for the first time, nearly 5 years after the release of the final book in the series. The books are available directly from author J.K. Rowling's Pottermore website. The complete collection costs $57.54 in the US.

The books are purchased once from the Pottermore site and can be read via Amazon's Kindle service or downloaded in ePub format for reading on wide variety of products including the iBooks app on iPad.

Article Link: Harry Potter E-Books Finally Available

AHH YES! I've been WAITING for this *cough*iOS news.
I'm SO glad I checked macrumors' iOS Blog Discussion section.
Otherwise I'd have totally missed this ...advertisement!
:rolleyes:

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
This is kind of funny. In Canada, we can't buy the US English version of the books, we have to buy the UK English versions. However, we can only buy the US version of the audio books, not the UK versions.

And to make it even better, the UK versions are more expensive in the complete collection by about $4.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Woo Hoo! I am excited to see the Harry Potter books in the digital format. I'm not sure how I did it, but I've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, so I'm looking forward to being able to conveniently have the books on my iPad and reading the stories that have been raved about by so many people.

Since I have to download it from the Pottermore website and then upload it, is there any difference between the Kindle version, the Nook version, and the iBooks version?
On the website they have a way for you to link your amazon account to the pottermore account. This way if you select send to amazon a copy is on the amazon server, just like you bought it from amazon.com. You can download it to your devices without connecting to a computer.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted

Chris Blount said:
These have been out on the web in multiple formats for a longtime. You just gotta know where to look ;)
I was thinking the same thing. I know people who have had electronic versions of these books for years. The author really screwed up waiting this long.

Not when the quality of many of those versions sucks. Also not everyone is hooked on torrents etc. there are plenty of folks that will buy these copies

Castiel

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
AHH YES! I've been WAITING for this *cough*iOS news.
I'm SO glad I checked macrumors' iOS Blog Discussion section.
Otherwise I'd have totally missed this ...advertisement!
:rolleyes:
Hm, I actually think this has been the most exciting news on 'the side' in awhile. ;):D

ipodinhtown

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
It comes as 7 individual ebooks. I would recommend getting the collection!

Aside from the discount, is there any other advantage to buying the collection as a whole? Anything that you wouldn't get if you bought the books individually? Since you said you recommended getting the collection, I was curious if there were any "extras" in the collection.

Thanks for the info.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Would there be any reason to get the UK version instead of US? :confused:

They speak British, not American.

If I download the pubs from Pottermore, how do I import them into my iTunes and then my iPad so I can do what you did ?

If you are running the Kindle software, Check your Amazon account information. You will have an email address. Anything you send to that address will be automatically uploaded to your iPad.

Is there a website where I can buy the time to read the books?

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
All books in Norwegian (Paperback) - Checked
Harry Potter "Special Edition" box set in British English (Hardcover) - Checked
All audiobooks in Norwegian - Checked
All audiobooks in British English - Checked
All audiobooks in American English - Checked
All movies on Blu-Ray - Checked
Harry Potter "Wizard Collection" boxed set (Blu-Ray) pre-ordered - Checked

It don't really bother me spending way too much money on series which I truly love and adore. I'm not going to purchase these digital version though, at least not at this date. First of all I'm pretty much covered with the Special Edition (Hardcover) versions in the first place, secondly these digital versions are edited and I like the text to be as true to the original as possible, with all is flaws, mistyping and spelling errors.

That's the whole reason why I got the lesser know "Special Edition" box set instead of the newer and widely available "Signature Edition" existing of newer cover art and revised text. When I'm getting something for my collection I want it to be as true to the original as possible and the "Special Edition" provides just that instead of these newer "Signature Editions" with new flashy cover art and the whole text revised.

When it comes to the United States versus the United Kingdom versions of these books and audiobooks there are some rather significant differences. The biggest difference comes with the audiobooks as the American version is read by Jim Dale where as the British version is read by Stephen Fry. To completely different narrators, with different voice and phasing. For me Jim Dale caters more to a younger audience while Stephen Fry might cater to a more mature audience.

The books and the text itself got some various changes with the American edition where as the whole title of the first book has been altered from the "Philosopher's Stone" to "Sorcerer's Stone" in order to be more light on the younger generation of Americans whom might not be all that into British vocabulary and glossary. I don't even know whether it's J.K Rowling herself whom translated the books into American English in the first place.

So if your a true fan and want to stick to the original text the British English versions are the way to go, and of course the audiobooks read by Stephen Fry are based of the original British English texts where as the ones read by Jim Dale are based of the American English texts.

EDIT:

The audiobooks, are they coming in low-bitrate MP3's with mono-audio or are they coming in something more high quality so people can convert them to whatever quality we would want them to be in?

I hate all these MP3 audiobooks that comes in low-quality MP3's as I want my audiobook collection in 64kbps, stereo, 44.100 kHz, stereo AAC (M4B) and not some 32kbps, 22.050 kHz, mono MP3 nonsense.

I guess I still have to purchase the CD-releases and rip everything myself even in 2012.

Last edited:

AGEE-3

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Aside from the discount, is there any other advantage to buying the collection as a whole? Anything that you wouldn't get if you bought the books individually? Since you said you recommended getting the collection, I was curious if there were any "extras" in the collection.

Thanks for the info.

Nah sorry no other extras. Just get the discount plus its more convenient if you're thinking of getting them all.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
These have been out on the web in multiple formats for a longtime. You just gotta know where to look ;)

These new format, released books are also on the web. The same site that my book was on is hosting these books with over 50,000 downloads already...

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
The problem is that a PDF with janky formatting and lots of typos from the OCR can get in the way for a lot of people. The PDF ones are painful to read on an actual e-Ink device because of this.

Considering it'd take a few hours to fix the typos overall, I'd rather just spend the bucks on the epub. It's actually "cheaper", if I consider my free time worth US minimum wage.

Very true but with the HP books specifically, flawless archive-quality PDFs have been floating around for years now.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
It comes as 7 individual ebooks. I would recommend getting the collection!

Yep! 7 Nicely done eBooks! I bought the collection and downloaded to my Kindle Fire.

I'm a huge HP fan....I have all of the books, all first edition hard backs. I also have all of the movies, and own digital copies of each one as well.

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
It's really a great news for me as i am a big fan of Harry Potter series. Can't wait to buy and grasp it.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Very true but with the HP books specifically, flawless archive-quality PDFs have been floating around for years now.

Most Harry Potter fans would rather get them legally and reward Jo for writing the books rather then get lower quality PDF versions, though. At least most of the people I've interacted with on Leaky.

Has anyone been successful using the "gift this" option to get the UK versions in the US? I have the regular ones but I'm looking to get the UK ones too and want to know if it's actually possible.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
If you aren't buying these from pottermore.com then you are stealing books. Go to a library and check them out if you can't afford to pay for books.
Also if you have a kindle, iPad, or the like you can afford to pay for the books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.