Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel5gr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I tried searching the forums but only found threads about Recently Added playlists that have disappeared from iTunes and devices all together (probably because of accidental deletion)...

The problem I am having is that today all of my Smart Playlists, including Recently Added and Recently Played have disappeared from my iPhone 4S, but are still intact and available in iTunes. I'm assuming this happened during an auto-sync following plugging in to a power source to charge.

Can anyone help me restore the Smart Playlists to my iPhone 4S??

Thanks!

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
With your smart playlist(s), do you have rules setup that could potentially "overlap" or conflict? An example is setting two rules, one being "Media Kind * is * Music" and then having as a separate rule "Media Kind * is * Not Movies*"

If you do have anything like that, try getting rid of one of the rules and seeing if that fixes it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm having the same problem. I can't sync my recent playlist no matter what I do. Its like this on my ipad and iphone. Its checked on my idevice , I drag and drop and nothing.
Any ideas?

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
Same question, with your smart playlist(s), or in your case your recent playlist, do you have rules setup that could potentially "overlap" or conflict? An example is setting two rules, one being "Media Kind * is * Music" and then having as a separate rule "Media Kind * is * Not Movies*"

daniel5gr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
With your smart playlist(s), do you have rules setup that could potentially "overlap" or conflict? An example is setting two rules, one being "Media Kind * is * Music" and then having as a separate rule "Media Kind * is * Not Movies*"

If you do have anything like that, try getting rid of one of the rules and seeing if that fixes it.

Hi there,

I haven't made any custom settings or changes to the rules setup (I didn't even know I could)... in any event I just checked the rules and it appears to just be anything added within the last 2 weeks, that's not a pod cast. Live updating is checked... what's essentially happening is the Smart Playlists are not being included in syncs, and don't appear on my iPhone at all, but when I select them from within iTunes, they still contain songs and are up to date.
It's really confusing and I want them back on my iPhone!

Any other ideas??

daniel5gr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I'm having the same problem. I can't sync my recent playlist no matter what I do. Its like this on my ipad and iphone. Its checked on my idevice , I drag and drop and nothing.
Any ideas?

Hi Puckhead,

I just found a solution that worked for me that I read in another forum.

If you have ANY rules for your smart playlists that include the "IS NOT" or "DOES NOT" criteria, apparently this will cause the problem.

I will say that my Recently Added and Recently Played smart playlists were default ones, I never modified their settings and so I'm not sure how they spontaneously became a problem, but both had a rule stating the "Kind" IS NOT a Podcast.

When I right-clicked the smart playlist, chose "Edit Smart Playlist" and removed the rule stating content was not a podcast - my next sync attempt put the Smart Playlists back on to my iPhone!

This must be a bug they will hopefully fix in the near future. Give this a try and see if it works for you as well. Good luck!

tsduke

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
I'm now having this same problem on my iphone 4s after syncing last night and I made no smart list changes since the last sync.

I have Sync Music & Entire music library checked. This has to be another 10.6 bug. I now also have 2 purchases playlists on my phone.

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm now having this same problem on my iphone 4s after syncing last night and I made no smart list changes since the last sync.

I have Sync Music & Entire music library checked. This has to be another 10.6 bug. I now also have 2 purchases playlists on my phone.

Do you have live updating selected for your smart playlist(s)?

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
Try deleting all of your music from your iPhone (plus untick "sync music" in iTunes when in your iPhone's options) and then sync music back to your iPhone. It's fixed it for others before so worth a try.

jaba-who

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Yes but where do I find what rules are in place?

I have the downloaded latest version of itunes available today (23/March/13 ). Where do I find out where these rules you mentioned are?

I have not actually changed anything myself. I just updated the version of itunes and sync'd (or in new terms it seems "autofilled") and my play lists were stripped off the iphone.

I need step by step instructions because I can't find anything on this new version of itunes anyway. I am totally lost.

Can you advise in one click steps how to find these rules and what to do to get back my playlists?

Thanks

jaba-who

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
After a bit of hunting on the internet

Well. Seems half the world has had this problem since about mid 2010. I have found a whole bunch of different things that have fixed the problem for some people but so far nothing has helped me.

I found the above mentioned "rules" - where each playlist in itunes has the dropdown lists for contains, does not contain etc. No help - all my lists were already set at "Contains"

Someone else fixed theirs with turning on itunes match then turning it off again. No help.
Others had success with just syncing multiple times and eventually it worked. But some found it was only a temporary fix and it reverted again later. No help for me either.

Some found that renaming the play lists helped. Not for me :-(

Someone said "right click each playlist and duplicate and delete the original playlist and that will fix it" - again not for me.

And to top it off.....

I wanted to add a song to a playlist on the PC itunes. Couldn't find how to do it. Found a tutorial (that is annoying me no end. I have to go back and have tutorials on how to use something that used to work fine and I could use) it says all you have to do is start dragging a song and the playlists appear on the right so you just drag across to the playlist you want. Well no! it doesn't!

Only Half the playlists appear. The one I want is not there.

Edited addition *Worked out something - The playlists that don't appear are smart lists which by the way I don't actually want as smart list but I somehow started them as a smart list and I can't unmake them to a standard list (as far as I can tell)*

And something else.
While itunes is playing a song the mouse cursor becomes erratic and clicks don't function.

I am profoundly unimpressed by this rubbish that Apple has turned out.

Last edited:

jaba-who

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Oh no - there's more!!!! :-(

Several years ago I was learning Japanese. I had large number of audio files from the tuition CDs on my iphone. I stopped using them about a year ago and deleted them from the iphone and from itunes.

I can't believe it. They are back on my iphone!!!!

I'm going to get an android!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.