Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
It's OK, they've made up for it by offering a "random" rematch. (I bet "random" excludes the weather challenge again)
https://twitter.com/#!/BenThePCGuy/status/184123838949359616

If they lose the rematch, it'll move on to best out of 5? :p

The "Smoked By Windows Phone" campaign was generating some great headlines at the beginning but they seem to have shot themselves in the foot with this.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It was a very ambitious advertising campaign. A big shame it didn't pay off. I have confidence that WP7 will have a place in terms of marketshare in the future when consumers begin to get bored of Android and iOS.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
All sounds a bit daft to me. They pick something very specific that they have already set their phone up to do and you are meant to beat them? I wouldn't say this has showed me anything about WP7.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Is it just me or does that Microsoft Store "slavishly copy" the Apple Retail Store concept? The picture is not clear enough for my tired old eyes to see if there is the equivalent of a genius bar at the far end of the store. Anyone been in a Microsoft store ... I have not?

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
There is a microsoft store here in Atlanta at Lenox mall.

Yes, they are pretty much copying or trying to foster a sense of community centered around their software and hardware offerings.

Keep in mind that Apple was not the first company to do this. Sony has had their store for many years and I'm sure that other people will be able to give other examples.

It makes sense, though. Microsoft makes a lot more stuff than Apple does and windows is the biggest, most recognizable brand in computing.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Is it just me or does that Microsoft Store "slavishly copy" the Apple Retail Store concept? The picture is not clear enough for my tired old eyes to see if there is the equivalent of a genius bar at the far end of the store. Anyone been in a Microsoft store ... I have not?

The design of the Microsoft store pretty much follows a lot of tech stores I've been to, but they definitely are imitating Apple with the Genius Bar type place and the employees with brightly coloured T-shirts.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
they definitely are imitating Apple with the Genius Bar type place and the employees with brightly coloured T-shirts.

I'd think it would have more to do with the brightly coloured tiles in Metro UI than Apple Geniuses.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
They gave the guy a laptop and a WP7 device, and apologized.

The weather challenge was stupid - their devices were preconfigured to win.
A non-rigged challenge would getting a brand new Android device, a brand new WP7 device, and on go seeing who can launch weather in x city fastest.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
They gave the guy a laptop and a WP7 device, and apologized.

A non-rigged challenge would getting a brand new Android device, a brand new WP7 device, and on go seeing who can launch weather in x city fastest.

Come on any test like this no matter what and who did it you would be damn sure they would rig their devices to win. In this case the weather one. Just it back fired big time. Heck anyone going up their to take them on would try to rig their phone to that as well. For example I would do it and I would hang around listening to some of the things they are having people do and damn skimpy set up my phone take them on.

The picture setting would be at LOWEST possible resolution, I would have 2 different weather widgets set up. Things like facebook and those apps would all be on the main home screen and so on.

I will agree the weather one is rather fishy. Should be look up the weather at this one location (Store chooses) and then the other location the person taking them on chooses both have to be using zip codes. That way both have a fair chance.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
The design of the Microsoft store pretty much follows a lot of tech stores I've been to, but they definitely are imitating Apple with the Genius Bar type place and the employees with brightly coloured T-shirts.

The things that stuck out for me the one time I went into the MS Store at Mall of America to buy a Kinect was the creepy guy in the SS-looking uniform guarding the store. I've never seen any kind of security people in the Apple store but this guy stood out like a sore thumb, standing with his hands clasped behind his back watching everyone. Plus, the guy at the register didn't know anything about the $50 off a $200 purchase coupon I had that MS sent out and didn't know how to ring it up. The manager had to do an override because it wasn't in the system. And THEN, they had no appropriate-sized bags so I ended up with a huge bag with a little Kinect box in it, lol. I promptly went across the hall to the Apple store to feel more at ease :D

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

It was just one example, though this does sound like the most "rigged."

I remember the original launch videos from some tech conference and it had novel things like "first to find 'x' type of 3 star+ restaurant in the area" and so on. Just one of what I'm sure are many contests - this does sound like the lamest one though.

I'd actually love to try WP, it's just that I'm tied to my provider (super cheap, not by contract) and don't want to jump. If they got a WP device, I'd be all over it.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Oh it's rigged alright.

Just came back from "trading in" my iPhone 2G for a Lumia. Was asked to look up the weather for 2 cities. Santa Clara and Cupertino I believe, since we were in Santa Clara. From the lockscreen --> 5 seconds later they have Santa Clara's weather, another 2 seconds and they have Cupertino's weather showing. I barely got into the iPhone weather app. Granted I haven't used an iPhone in years.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Most of the challenges I've seen seem quite fair to be honest. For the original set of challenges it was a mutually agreed upon task, and WP did indeed smoke most of the competition, even running custom ROMs etc. The weather challenge should really have been to find weather of 2 new cities that haven't been pinned/widgeted, but at least they acknowledged the mistake.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Oh it's rigged alright.

Just came back from "trading in" my iPhone 2G for a Lumia. Was asked to look up the weather for 2 cities. Santa Clara and Cupertino I believe, since we were in Santa Clara. From the lockscreen --> 5 seconds later they have Santa Clara's weather, another 2 seconds and they have Cupertino's weather showing. I barely got into the iPhone weather app. Granted I haven't used an iPhone in years.

To be fair, I have a live tile on my focus, and I could tell you the weather in Pittsburgh in the time it takes me to unlock my phone too. Finding another city might take a second, but there is some truth to the fact that it's just faster ;)

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
To be fair, I have a live tile on my focus, and I could tell you the weather in Pittsburgh in the time it takes me to unlock my phone too. Finding another city might take a second, but there is some truth to the fact that it's just faster ;)

Ah, yes. But see, I could have a widget on my homescreen too that says the weather. And iOS users can have the weather in their notification menu.

But, the cities that they pick wouldn't be anywhere near you so you wouldn't have a use for having that city on there already set up. Like, the store in Pittsburgh might do the competition with cities like Miami and London - two cities you would definitely not have set up already, but they do. That's why it's not fair.

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
I think they should offer two different t-shirts

1. "I won the Windows Phone Challenge and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

2. "I lost the Windows Phone Challenege and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Microsoft has no business doing these arrogant "challenges" with only 2% marketshare. Be humble, Microsoft. Gain 20-30% marketshare first, then trash talk the competition.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Microsoft has no business doing these arrogant "challenges" with only 2% marketshare. Be humble, Microsoft. Gain 20-30% marketshare first, then trash talk the competition.

How are they trashtalking? They're proving that at these tasks a Windows Phone is legitimately faster. Also, it's publicity, y'know, the stuff that gets people interested in your product... how are they meant to gain marketshare without letting people know that their platform is good for.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
How are they trashtalking? They're proving that at these tasks a Windows Phone is legitimately faster. Also, it's publicity, y'know, the stuff that gets people interested in your product... how are they meant to gain marketshare without letting people know that their platform is good for.

"Smoked by Windows Phone" is trash talking. Implying the competition is slow and useless. Not a good way to gain customer base.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
"Smoked by Windows Phone" is trash talking. Implying the competition is slow and useless. Not a good way to gain customer base.

Well it's a head to head challenge, there has to be a loser, and "Performed the specific task slightly faster than the phone it was competing against" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. They are talking about a phone being faster than another phone, they're not insulting you or your choice of product.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Well it's a head to head challenge, there has to be a loser, and "Performed the specific task slightly faster than the phone it was competing against" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. They are talking about a phone being faster than another phone, they're not insulting you or your choice of product.

I just have a feeling that if Apple had done a similar competition as an entry-level player, they'd not use inflammatory language. Apple is a positive-oriented company, while Microsoft seems to exude a certain sleazy desperation.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I just have a feeling that if Apple had done a similar competition as an entry-level player, they'd not use inflammatory language. Apple is a positive-oriented company, while Microsoft seems to exude a certain sleazy desperation.

That's the thing though, Apple probably wouldn't do a promotion like this because they aren't in the position MSFT is in. They already have a huge marketshare so they don't need to point out they ways in which they top the competition. Also, they tend to stick their "trash-talking" in their keynotes rather than in their ads. It's less public but it's still very much there. The sleazy desperation bit is your own opinion, and I doubt I can change it so I won't bother to try.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Anyways, until the rumored Windows Phone 8 Nokia SuperPhone to end all Superphones comes out we wont' know if Windows Phone has any future. WP7 on current hardware is just not going to cut it for today's demanding consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.