Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
MMS Does work, but SMS does not. Unless you are trying to tell me that the MMS is only working as part of iMessage, which is why photos are coming through?

Tonight I will test sending MMS to a non-iphone, and also call up ST and see why SMS is not working.

From your post, it sounds like MMS doesn't work. You need to try to send an MMS to an Android (or dumbphone) user, as sending to an iPhone user will send an iMessage, which is just data. MMS has to go through a special APN.

----------

The way I understand it, you have to Jailbreak to get access to the MMS APN settings, otherwise only iMessage and SMS will work.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
what service you choose? ATT or T-mob for ATT this is what you need to have.

Cellular DAta
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

Visual Voicemail
APN acds.voicemail
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

MMS
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)
MMSC htttp://mmsc.singular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MM UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

I spoke too soon. I had cellular data turned off. So it looks like MMS will not work with wifi only.

Thanks for the help!

DEEBS808

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I have been using my iphone 4s on ST for about a month 1/2 and love it.Everything works with out any problems.I just need to limit my usage as it is to be believed that there is a 2gb a month limit.If you all need help with straight talk and their BYOD check out HowardForums.com Thats where I got help with my iphone and how to set it up.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I just ordered my SIM today, will switch to straight talk finally to save monies.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I just ordered my SIM today, will switch to straight talk finally to save monies.
Be careful with your data usage. This is why I'm staying with AT&T. Sure it's more expensive but I get 3GB data per month instead of two with Straight Talk.

I've though of switching to but the 2GB limit bothers me.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Be careful with your data usage. This is why I'm staying with AT&T. Sure it's more expensive but I get 3GB data per month instead of two with Straight Talk.

I've though of switching to but the 2GB limit bothers me.

Thank you for the heads up. We are trying to save monie because right now I'm paying with at&t just for one line about $102/month compared to $45, that is $1224-$540 (per year)=$684 savings that I can put towards gas monies or food. I have gotten multiple paycuts in my 13year+ job, from $44,000/year to $38,000 and soon I'll be working for $33,000/year the way this economy is going, I need to save.

I have the unlimited at&t data plan (grandfathered), but today I had to pump $28 in gas along (will last me 1 and 1/2 week) and I dont see a reason why give this extra monie to at&t.

ducksauce88

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
I heard that you can't use the data on straight talk to web browse, stream YouTube, download music. Is that true? Are you guys able to do everything that you would be able to do on att network? That is the only thing stoping me from buying a gevey sim for my wife's iPhone 4s.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I heard that you can't use the data on straight talk to web browse, stream YouTube, download music. Is that true? Are you guys able to do everything that you would be able to do on att network? That is the only thing stoping me from buying a gevey sim for my wife's iPhone 4s.
The only limitation that I'm experiencing on my unjailbroken, locked AT&T iPhone 4 using a StraightTalk micro-SIM is the inability to send/receive MMS messages.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi

Not true. You just have to make sure you get the right APN info. Go to unlockit.co.nz. I'm using it on my jail broken 3GS, but you don't need to be jailbroken or unlocked.

ducksauce88

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
The only limitation that I'm experiencing on my unjailbroken, locked AT&T iPhone 4 using a StraightTalk micro-SIM is the inability to send/receive MMS messages.

Sold me. Thanks guys! I look forward to saving $40 a month in the long run.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Did you use unlockit.co.nz? I used it and MMS is working on mine.
Yes, I did. That sets up the APN values to use data, but it doesn't do anything for MMS. In order to use MMS on StraightTalk on a non-4s iPhone one must jailbreak.

If you have have MMS working without using tetherme, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would love to hear how you did it. :)

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008

Yes it is true, Straight Talk "Unlimited" Data is not really so. And they will not specify or tell you what their limits are. But if you go over, you will get a warning and then they just cancel your account -- and no refunds, either.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Yes it is true, Straight Talk "Unlimited" Data is not really so. And they will not specify or tell you what their limits are. But if you go over, you will get a warning and then they just cancel your account -- and no refunds, either.

But the limit is about how much data you use, not HOW you use it, correct? Having a 2GB cap and not being able to browse the web are two totally different things.

I for one am seriously considering this. My original plan was to use a prepaid SIM from ATT and carry around a mobile hotspot for unlimited 4g data. The 4g hotspot is either $35 or $50 a month, and I was going to rely on google voice for most calls/texts. But the simplicity of having a traditional phone plan, no contract, that gives me full access for $45/month is amazing. Plus I won't have to carry around the hotspot everywhere, even though it is small. For crazy data users, obviously this might not be ideal. But for me, I think 2GB should be fine. I don't stream a ton of video or music, don't download crazy apps and files, just check gmail, facebook, IM, use maps. For this basic use I think it should be more than enough.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
But the limit is about how much data you use, not HOW you use it, correct? Having a 2GB cap and not being able to browse the web are two totally different things.

I'm not sure what you mean here... wouldn't your 2 GB cap directly affect whether or not you can browse? I do agree that a normal user might not hit that limit. I do Gmail, some streaming, and some tethering, and I'm only up to about 1GB.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I'm still waiting for my SIM to arrive, the fed ex truck still has not dropped it.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean here... wouldn't your 2 GB cap directly affect whether or not you can browse? I do agree that a normal user might not hit that limit. I do Gmail, some streaming, and some tethering, and I'm only up to about 1GB.

What I meant was that they seemed to be suggesting that the type of data you use is restricted. For example, that you can't browse the web AT ALL. I was just trying to point out that I think the restriction is how much data you use, not how you use it. So of course you could use up 2GB by browsing, streaming, tethering, whatever. I was just saying that you CAN browse and do normal data functions...up to the limit, which is the real restriction.

Ordering my SIM today. I am on wifi whenever I am home anyway, so I really am not worried about going over 2GB. Even with my current/old TMO plan, I rarely go over 1MB with regular use. I am not what some would call a 'power' user I guess. I keep data on 24/7, and use it regularly, but for routine things like mentioned before, email, etc. I am not downloading full hd movies or anything. The most data intense thing I do on a regular basis is browse the web to find something and then map it out/get directions with Maps, and maybe retrieve email attachments.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Anybody in NYC using this?

Also, what's this deal with "refilling" the phone? Meaning, if you want another month, you have to purchase another 30 days each time? Or is the refill something else entirely?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.