Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmtworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hi Everyone!

My 4th generation iPod (Classic) from 2004 is starting to acting like a mean bastard, skips music and it's a huge struggle just to transfer music.

I think it's safe to say it had a good run.

I was wondering if any of you bought the "latest" iPod Classic? According to Buyer's Guide it was released September 09, 2009. I'm asking people who bought it last year or within this year.

Right now I'm thinking if I should wait till the next Apple keynote event to see if they either axe iPod Classic, the one iPod that makes sense to music lovers with a huge library. or they update it.

What would you guys do?

Peace.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have 4 of them. I love them all.

It's the only way to transfer my music as lossless files for use in my car.

glittersparkles

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
London
i got my classic for my 16th birthday - 120gb, 3 years on and its still perfect. if you want one that works, buy one now. if you're willing to wait for an upgrade that may not happen, wait.. its your choice reallly - it depends on what you want from the classic.

macPDX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
ah, the Classic. . .

I bought one of the early Classics a very long time ago, then decided to go
nano a few years ago just for portability (so slim, so cute!) and to use in my car, but when the rumors started that they might be discontinuing the Classics late last year, I bought another Classic

The last gen Classics are elegant and their storage capacity is huge in comparison to anything else in the ipod line.

If you are concerned about the price or don't think you really need an ipod that
size -- don't be. Once you have one, you'll be amazed at the sensation of always having exactly what you want to listen to - or see - at your fingertips.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm a huge fan of the classic. I love the form factor, the fact that you can carry your entire iTunes music library with you in one elegant yet fairly robust device, the sheer simplicity of the design and the wonderful battery life. I travel a lot, and my classic travels everywhere with me. ;)

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I don't think I have heard anyone say, that wants a music player, that they regretted the purchase of a Classic. It's kind of a purpose built machine and it does it's task better than anything else out there. Buy it!
As far as Apple dropping it, who knows? Lots and lots of speculation. I really, really hope they see fit to give it one more update. Only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.