Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I'm running:

1) Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r1332 (So I should go back to using Chameleon r1331 over the new one?)

2) FakeSMC.kext - Nov, 20, 2009 (Where can I get the newer one? Is getting it here fine?: http://myhack.sojugarden.com/downloads/ - but this is a whole app and not just the FakeSMC.kext file. I went here to get JUST the FakeSMC.kext file and this was the latest one I could find: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=262624 from July, 2011 (v 3.1.0) But it's seems it's for Snow Leopard. Should I still use it even though I'm using Lion 10.7.2 or is there a more updated one that I should use and if so do you know where I could find it?)

3) Lion 10.7.2

And about smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist I will make sure to follow (as best as I can understand) d00d's method. But as I get to that I'll ask you questions if I get stuck...

I will try the other 2 switches to see if I have A49 (I hope I do). What was the release date of A49 show? The latest A56 shows the date release to be 7.05.11. I ask this because it won't show me (when I start up the system) the BIOS version that I'm using when the American Megatrends screen pops up. It just says:

BIOS Date: 07/05/11 10:45:54 Ver: 08.00.16 (instead of A56). But when I contact EVGA Tech Support they tell me what that BIOS version is by date. I'll try calling them first unless you already know.

Man, I got a lot of work ahead of me this week. Thanks again... Hopefully I'll be ready when those X5680's come in. :)

1) The bios that I use has a build date of 05/05/10. Just download it in Windows. With the system still running, carefully move the switch to a different position (touching only the switch and using something firm, but nonconductive like a plastic stick/knife), but note which position represents each bios. Then, install it, following the on screen prompts and EVGA's instructions.
2) Lets stick with Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r1332 for the time being.
3) Get FakeSMC from here - [ http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2538 ] and don't forget to modify that info.plist file. While you're at that site you should also download smcK_Stat_i.app.zip ( 94.47K ) to keep a watch on those core temps. You'll have to register to download anything.
4) A another method for checking whether nativepowermanagement ratios have been assigned is to use the Console.app in the folder - Applications/Utilities/. Run Console and on the left hand side window start to scroll down and click on each kernel.log file and type "ratio" in the search window after each kernel.log file is selected. Here's what my search shows, in part:
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios DDDDEE
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: mbinit: done (128 MB memory set for mbuf pool)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: From path: "uuid",
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX (Actual no. not revealed by Tutor)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Opensource SMC device emulator by netkas (C) 2009
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Monitoring plugins support by mozodojo (C) 2010
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Original idea of plugins and code sample by usr-sse2 (C) 2010

You cannot underclock the 5675/5680/5690 properly until you get those ratios identified by the system.

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
1) The bios that I use has a build date of 05/05/10. Just download it in Windows. With the system still running, carefully move the switch to a different position (touching only the switch and using something firm, but nonconductive like a plastic stick/knife), but note which position represents each bios. Then, install it, following the on screen prompts and EVGA's instructions.
2) Lets stick with Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r1332 for the time being.
3) Get FakeSMC_rev405_Leo.zip from here - [ http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206 ] and don't forget to modify that info.plist file. While you're at that site you should also download smcK_Stat_i.app.zip ( 94.47K ) to keep a watch on those core temps. You'll have to register to download anything.
4) A another method for checking whether nativepowermanagement ratios have been assigned is to use the Console.app in the folder - Applications/Utilities/. Run Console and on the left hand side window start to scroll down and click on each kernel.log file and type "ratio" in the search window after each kernel.log file is selected. Here's what my search shows, in part:
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios DDDDEE
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: mbinit: done (128 MB memory set for mbuf pool)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: From path: "uuid",
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX (Actual no. not revealed by Tutor)
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Opensource SMC device emulator by netkas (C) 2009
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Monitoring plugins support by mozodojo (C) 2010
Mar 18 20:34:16 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: Original idea of plugins and code sample by usr-sse2 (C) 2010

You cannot underclock the 5675/5680/5690 properly until you get those ratios identified by the system.

Okay, on point #3 you mentioned to download FakeSMC_rev405_Leo.zip. That file was done Sept 10, 2010 That's okay right? And yes, I'll modify that plist as you instructed for me to do from before. Thanks for reminding me. I also DL'd the smcK_Stat_i.app.zip. I already have this one as I do iStat. I use both. I'll get crackin' on this stuff in the morning. I'll let you know the status... Thanks again... :)

Lastly, I wanted to pick up the EVGA GTX 580 3GB so I can run two monitors comfortably; as I currently have a EVGA GTX 480 1.5GB running on a 30" Dell and don't want to connect another smaller monitor as I might stress the card (as I've done in the past). What's your thought?

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Okay, on point #3 you mentioned to download FakeSMC_rev405_Leo.zip. That file was done Sept 10, 2010 That's okay right? And yes, I'll modify that plist as you instructed for me to do from before. Thanks for reminding me. I also DL'd the smcK_Stat_i.app.zip. I already have this one as I do iStat. I use both. I'll get crackin' on this stuff in the morning. I'll let you know the status... Thanks again... :)

Download this latest update fakeSMC file for Lion - http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2538 . Then modify it.
Modification of latest fakeSMC for Lion Info.plist:
1) Open the Info.plist file, by first opening the fakeSMC.kext file/folder and then opening its Contents file/folder, in PlistEditPro, then under the Edit menu click Find and select Find from the submenu. In the dialog box
A) enter the word to be found which is: napa
and enter the word to replace napa which is: thurley
then click [Next] button to replace
B) enter the word to be found which is: ATAPAAAD
and enter the word to replace ATAPAAAD which is: ATkPAAAR
c) Click [Sync outline]
d) Then search separately for thurley and ATkPAAAR to ensure that they are now in the outline.
e) If these changes have been made, then save the info.plist file, put fakeSMC.kext file in the System/Library/Extensions folder and bless the kexts in that folder.

SR2Mac said:
Lastly, I wanted to pick up the EVGA GTX 580 3GB so I can run two monitors comfortably; as I currently have a EVGA GTX 480 1.5GB running on a 30" Dell and don't want to connect another smaller monitor as I might stress the card (as I've done in the past). What's your thought?

I'm not yet sufficiently familiar with the EVGA GTX 580 to have constructive thoughts about it.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Download this latest update fakeSMC file for Lion - http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2538 . Then modify it.
Modification of latest fakeSMC for Lion Info.plist:
1) Open the Info.plist file, by first opening the fakeSMC.kext file/folder and then opening its Contents file/folder, in PlistEditPro, then under the Edit menu click Find and select Find from the submenu. In the dialog box
A) enter the word to be found which is: napa
and enter the word to replace napa which is: thurley
B) enter the word to be found which is: ATAPAAAD
and enter the word to replace ATAPAAAD which is: ATkPAAAR
c) Click [Sync outline]
d) Then search separately for thurley and ATkPAAAR to ensure that they are now in the outline.
e) If these changes have been made, then save the info.plist file, put fakeSMC.kext file in the System/Library/Extensions folder and bless the kexts in that folder.

So would I first copy/past this (from your last instructions):

Then, look for those other words you mentioned to change them after?

Then "bless" it by entering this last?:

sudo su [Enter]
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions/*.kext [Enter]
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions/*.kext [Enter]

If I'm incorrect on any of this, please let me know what I need to change, thank you... :)

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Then, look for those other words you mentioned to change them after?

Then "bless" it by entering this last?:

sudo su [Enter]
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions/*.kext [Enter]

If I'm incorrect on any of this, please let me know what I need to change, thank you... :)

Use search and replace on the Info.plist file that's in the latest version of FakeSMC, not the one that I sent you earlier to replace all of the contents in the outline.

You should have a new PM. Only respond to it there.

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Use search and replace on the Info.plist file that's in the latest version of FakeSMC, not the one that I sent you earlier to replace all of the contents in the outline.

You should have a new PM. Only respond to it there.

I responded there as you requested. I also, was able to flash A49 BIOS and did the info.plist and changed those two strings as per your instructions. The only thing is now, when you mentioned "blessing" it, (again) did you want me to use:

sudo su [Enter]

I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here... Thanks...

Also, I just noticed that I only have 44GB of RAM working right now (11 sticks as DIMM7 is not working) and not the full 48GB (12 sticks). I don't know why, but I'm thinking is it because I should be using that Disabler.kext file. I haven't installed it yet as I want to know if I should install and "bless" the other file first then install the Disabler.kext file after.
(Edit: I installed the Disabler.kext and rebooted and my system shut down during the Apple screen start up. I thought it was due because the Disabler.kext, but I figured I would try again and reboot and it started and all sticks are working, but it gave me a warning that the Disabler.kext was not allowed to be in the S/L/E folder. So I used Kext Wizard and repaired permissions and rebooted to check again. Ran a GeekBench and all is okay for now).

Lastly, (for now) I wanted to go over d00d's 1st page original post and start with point #1. Modify the `Device (SBRG)' section so that AppleLPC.kext loads.

There is an original file, then a modified file (which is what I need to change it to). But what is a little confusing is he had another mod saying: add the following above the `Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)' section;. Where does that go and are you using point #1 at all for your Power Management?

I'll go over Point #2 later with you to make sure I'm doing that right also. Again, thanks... :)

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
"Blessing" it means to use:

sudo su [Enter]

Sometimes, we may make things more difficult than is actually the case. Concerning http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233891&st=0 , D00d has made dsdt modification instructive for us by giving us, in detail, the changes he recommends be made to a dsdt file and he's given us an "Original" dsdt file for us to compare/play with to learn to be on our own. D00d has made it easy for us by giving us a dsdt file that he has modified to include all of the dsdt changes that he recommends. All of the dsdt changes that he recommends/explains are in the "modified" file. He's simply telling us what he did so that we can learn to fish for ourselves and that why he gives the unmodified file so that we can make comparisons and/or make the changes for overselves (to learn not to be fully dependent on him in the future when he's busy working, spending time with his friends and family, thinking of new innovations, chilling, etc.) if we want to avoid being lost when some other dsdt-related change may be required in the future. The modified dsdt file already contains the modified `Device (SBRG)' section so that AppleLPC.kext loads. The modified file already includes the modification - `Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)' section. The modified file already includes the modification - 'MaLd0n for a fix to enable shutdown' section. In sum, excluding only the fakeSMC change (which, by the way, is a separate non-dsdt file), every dsdt change where d00d shows "Original" and "Modified," means that the unmodified dsdt file has the "Original" text in it and the modified dsdt file has the "Modified" text already in it. He tries to provide for both ease of use now by giving us an already "Modified" dsdt file, and instruction for the future by giving us a detailed explanation and an "Unmodified" dsdt file for us to expand our knowledge base.

Again, to clear all confusion, there is an original, unmodified dsdt file (that we can use for comparison or change if we want to make the changes ourselves and learn to be self-sufficient), and there's a modified dsdt file (with the dsdt changes already made; we don't need to make any dsdt-related changes in that file; it's like plug and play). All one needs to do is just select the right dsdt file to download and change the name of the modified .aml file to DSDT.aml, and drop it in the Extra folder. Voila - All dsdt required modifications accomplished!

By the way, what's the GeekBench now?

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
"Blessing" it means to use:

sudo su [Enter]

Okay, so from now on anytime you say "Bless it" I will use this right after and move on to the next thing.

Sometimes, we may make things more difficult than is actually the case. Concerning http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233891&st=0 , D00d has made dsdt modification instructive for us by giving us, in detail, the changes he recommends be made to a dsdt file and he's given us an "Original" dsdt file for us to compare/play with to learn to be on our own. D00d has made it easy for us by giving us a dsdt file that he has modified to include all of the dsdt changes that he recommends. All of the dsdt changes that he recommends/explains are in the "modified" file. He's simply telling us what he did so that we can learn to fish for ourselves and that why he gives the unmodified file so that we can make comparisons and/or make the changes for overselves (to learn not to be fully dependent on him in the future when he's busy working, spending time with his friends and family, thinking of new innovations, chilling, etc.) if we want to avoid being lost when some other dsdt-related change may be required in the future. The modified dsdt file already contains the modified `Device (SBRG)' section so that AppleLPC.kext loads. The modified file already includes the modification - `Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)' section. The modified file already includes the modification - 'MaLd0n for a fix to enable shutdown' section. In sum, excluding only the fakeSMC change (which, by the way, is a separate non-dsdt file), every dsdt change where d00d shows "Original" and "Modified," means that the unmodified dsdt file has the "Original" text in it and the modified dsdt file has the "Modified" text already in it. He tries to provide for both ease of use now by giving us an already "Modified" dsdt file, and instruction for the future by giving us a detailed explanation and an "Unmodified" dsdt file for us to expand our knowledge base.

Again, to clear all confusion, there is an original, unmodified dsdt file (that we can use for comparison or change if we want to make the changes ourselves and learn to be self-sufficient), and there's a modified dsdt file (with the dsdt changes already made; we don't need to make any dsdt-related changes in that file; it's like plug and play). All one needs to do is just select the right dsdt file to download and change the name of the modified .aml file to DSDT.aml, and drop it in the Extra folder. Voila - All dsdt required modifications accomplished!

By the way, what's the GeekBench now?

Point taken, as we all are just as busy and can find it hard to contribute as much as we would like at times. That's why I appreciate what you've done to take the time in helping me (as I'm sure this is also helping others out there that may be having a harder time understanding this information). So now I more understand his method of explanation. I know d00d has tried, but as I was reading the replies I also see that few others out there might have a bit of a time understanding his method of explanation. That's why I may need another way of explanation and you've been very helpful in explaining in a way that I can understand. So thanks... :)

As I come to Point #2 I might (again) need some help in his explanation that I can understand. But I will take more time to try to understand him and the way he's teaching it...

Also, my new GB score is: 20,020, and that's on it stock mode. I haven't OC'd it yet as I'm needing to make sure all files are installed and adjusted properly before I start that. Honestly, I'm just waiting for the X5680's to get here so I can start using your method of Under Clocking... :)

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Okay, so from now on anytime you say "Bless it" I will use this right after and move on to the next thing.
Just make sure that the file path is accurate. The "*" is a wildcard symbol, blessing every file that ends with".kext." Note that we could have limited the blessing to a particular file by specifying, "fakeSMC.kext."

SR2Mac said:
... . That's why I may need another way of explanation and you've been very helpful in explaining in a way that I can understand. So thanks... :)

So do I, at times with technical matters, and so do many others, similarly, need to hear things worded in different ways. As always, glad to help.

SR2Mac said:
As I come to Point #2 I might (again) need some help in his explanation that I can understand. But I will take more time to try to understand him and the way he's teaching it...

Our minds are like muscles, in that, the more we exercise them the stronger they become. I'll spot you when that barbell feels really heavy.

SR2Mac said:
Also, my new GB score is: 20,020, and that's on it stock mode. I haven't OC'd it yet as I'm needing to make sure all files are installed and adjusted properly before I start that. Honestly, I'm just waiting for the X5680's to get here so I can start using your method of Under Clocking... :)
Don't forget that we need to get that native powermanagement working as soon as possible. Have you checked for it with the Console app (see post #51)?

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Underclockers can rely on a big turboboost payday.

SR2Mac,

What was your stock Geekbench2 score? What's (a) your latest Geekbench2 score now that your system has been configured for underclocking/turbobiasing, (b) the Target CPU Frequency (aka base frequency) associated with that score and (c) your turboboost ratio per the Console.app?
Are you now hanging with the big boys? Is your score higher than the scores of two best overclockers? D00d (33,066) overclocked his system, but remained within spec VID (which is 1.35V for his and our CPUs) by using nativepowermanagement. Echrei (33,344) is an excellent traditional overclocker, although I think that we can convince him to change sides. How many scores between yours and d00d's and Echrei's?

We'll now go one step further using what d00d's philosophy drove me to do - underclock/turbobias. So, just increase the CPU frequency one step at a time until the system becomes unstable and back off one step when that occurs; then follow these rules for the future and let us know what are the Geekbench2 and Cinebench 11.5 results (and the base/Target CPU Frequency associated with those scores):

1) Remember that math you learned in school. Now it'll come in handy. For Nehalem and Westmere chips the factory CPU frequency is 133. You been tasked with getting that number to, at least 162 (167 to 175 is about the highest safe 24/7 settings range for retail 5680s). Thus, 162/133 = ~ 1.22 or 22% faster. Since CPU frequency is commonly referred to as base clock [or BCLOCK or BCLK} that's how I will refer to it, going forward. At some point, a step higher of BCLK will require a step or two more Vcore. Try to keep CPU Vcore, for 24/7 operations, two steps below 1.35V {which is spec VID} and it'll enhance the turbo boosting potential of your system. BCLK is not only applied to the CPU, but it also gets applied to the memory. So if you had installed 1333 MHz memory, you be out of luck when you tune the memory. Why? Because 1333 MHz x 1.22 = 1626 MHz. Thus if you wanted to bench at a higher BCLK and at a 1333 MHz ram setting your system would not run. Now, memory will not be the cause of that failure because your memory can run at 2000 MHz. But there's one other thing that's also tied to BCLK and that's the buss speed, now called "QPI." It also is reflected in the speed at which your processors speak to each other. With retail 5680's, I can bump the QPI up to 5.8 rather than your current setting of 4.8 so long as I do not exceed a BCLK of 166. There, I have to lower it to 4.8. But to use 5.8 below a BCLK of 166 but above about 150, may require that you increase CPU VTT up to 1.4V {the closer you get to 166} and even with a QPI of 4.8 as you go higher and higher than a BCLK of 166, you have to increase CPU VTT, but never go so high as you have to exceed 1.4V CPU VTT or 1.4V CPU Vcore unless you want to have to purchase new CPUs sooner than you probably have planned.

2) In sum, the limits for maintaining a cool, healthy, speedy, working system as long as possible are:
a) CPU Vcore 1.4V - Max;
b) IOH 1.4V - Max; and
c) CPU VVT 1.4V - Max; and to maintain it the longest stay under CPU Vcore 1.35V and under 1.4V for VVT and IOH for 24/7 operation.

3) I've found that if you set all of the parameters under Signal Tweaks, to their maximum negative setting (except PCIE), you'll further enhance your system's stability and yield better performance.

4) When you've achieved and saved your best and fastest 24/7 profile from tweaking the BCLK and signal tweaking, then tweak the memory. You should be able to keep it at 1333 MHz at up to a BCLK of 199 {199/133 =~ 1.50; 1.5 X 1333 = 1999.5, which is just under 2000 MHz, the top factory speed for your ram. To tweak ram involves tightening the timing, i.e., lowering the first four memory parameters (tCL, tRCD, tRP and tRAS [usually the sum {or just a couple of values lower than the sum} of the first three]) and the command rate [1 or 2], separately and only by one step at a time and in the order listed until instability results; then backing off a value or two. Finally try setting the command rate to 1, instead of 2. These tweaks may require that more voltage be applied to the ram, but always try to keep that voltage at or under 1.67V for ram rated at 1.65V. Another use for console is to help you detect memory errors. Memtest86+ and Prime are also good test apps for testing memory stability. I use Geekbench 2 and Cinebench 11.5 as initial stress testers and to tune my systems because my main axe if Cinema 4d. Google "tightening memory timing" for additional information. See, e.g., http://www.masterslair.com/tightening-your-memory-ram-timings/ and http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ .

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
SR2Mac,

What was your stock Geekbench2 score? What's (a) your latest Geekbench2 score now that your system has been configured for underclocking/turbobiasing, (b) the Target CPU Frequency (aka base frequency) associated with that score and (c) your turboboost ratio per the Console.app?
Are you now hanging with the big boys? Is your score higher than the scores of two best overclockers? D00d (33,066) overclocked his system, but remained within spec VID (which is 1.35V for his and our CPUs) by using nativepowermanagement. Echrei (33,344) is an excellent traditional overclocker, although I think that we can convince him to change sides. How many scores between yours and d00d's and Echrei's?

We'll now go one step further using what d00d's philosophy drove me to do - underclock/turbobias. So, just increase the CPU frequency one step at a time until the system becomes unstable and back off one step when that occurs; then follow these rules for the future and let us know what are the Geekbench2 and Cinebench 11.5 results (and the base/Target CPU Frequency associated with those scores):

1) Remember that math you learned in school. Now it'll come in handy. For Nehalem and Westmere chips the factory CPU frequency is 133. You been tasked with getting that number to, at least 162 (167 to 175 is about the highest safe 24/7 settings range for retail 5680s). Thus, 162/133 = ~ 1.22 or 22% faster. Since CPU frequency is commonly referred to as base clock [or BCLOCK or BCLK} that's how I will refer to it, going forward. At some point, a step higher of BCLK will require a step or two more Vcore. Try to keep CPU Vcore, for 24/7 operations, two steps below 1.35V {which is spec VID} and it'll enhance the turbo boosting potential of your system. BCLK is not only applied to the CPU, but it also gets applied to the memory. So if you had installed 1333 MHz memory, you be out of luck when you tune the memory. Why? Because 1333 MHz x 1.22 = 1626 MHz. Thus if you wanted to bench at a higher BCLK and at a 1333 MHz ram setting your system would not run. Now, memory will not be the cause of that failure because your memory can run at 2000 MHz. But there's one other thing that's also tied to BCLK and that's the buss speed, now called "QPI." It also is reflected in the speed at which your processors speak to each other. With retail 5680's, I can bump the QPI up to 5.8 rather than your current setting of 4.8 so long as I do not exceed a BCLK of 166. There, I have to lower it to 4.8. But to use 5.8 below a BCLK of 166 but above about 150, may require that you increase CPU VTT up to 1.4V {the closer you get to 166} and even with a QPI of 4.8 as you go higher and higher than a BCLK of 166, you have to increase CPU VTT, but never go so high as you have to exceed 1.4V CPU VTT or 1.4V CPU Vcore unless you want to have to purchase new CPUs sooner than you probably have planned.

2) In sum, the limits for maintaining a cool, healthy, speedy, working system as long as possible are:
a) CPU Vcore 1.4V - Max;
b) IOH 1.4V - Max; and
c) CPU VVT 1.4V - Max; and to maintain it the longest stay under CPU Vcore 1.35V and under 1.4V for VVT and IOH for 24/7 operation.

3) I've found that if you set all of the parameters under Signal Tweaks, to their maximum negative setting (except PCIE), you'll further enhance your system's stability and yield better performance.

4) When you've achieved and saved your best and fastest 24/7 profile from tweaking the BCLK and signal tweaking, then tweak the memory. You should be able to keep it at 1333 MHz at up to a BCLK of 199 {199/133 =~ 1.50; 1.5 X 1333 = 1999.5, which is just under 2000 MHz, the top factory speed for your ram. To tweak ram involves tightening the timing, i.e., lowering the first four memory parameters (tCL, tRCD, tRP and tRAS [usually the sum {or just a couple of values lower than the sum} of the first three]) and the command rate [1 or 2], separately and only by one step at a time and in the order listed until instability results; then backing off a value or two. Finally try setting the command rate to 1, instead of 2. These tweaks may require that more voltage be applied to the ram, but always try to keep that voltage at or under 1.67V for ram rated at 1.65V. Another use for console is to help you detect memory errors. Memtest86+ and Prime are also good test apps for testing memory stability. I use Geekbench 2 and Cinebench 11.5 as initial stress testers and to tune my systems because my main axe if Cinema 4d. Google "tightening memory timing" for additional information. See, e.g., http://www.masterslair.com/tightening-your-memory-ram-timings/ and http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ .

Well, my GeekBench (v 2.2.6) score was originally at little over 24,000 running the X5680's at stock. Then when you gave me some help with the .kext and other file changes it dropped in half to a little over 12,000. I was wondering "what in the world?!?!" But I really didn't want to go there yet as I knew you weren't done trying to help me. Then you assisted me in making the final changes in my BIOS and the first GB score was a 32,565 and the next one was 32,998 !!! (located here: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/592622). So it's kickin' it and I'm really amazed. Now I have to do the rest of what you said by running it for 24/7 to burn it in. So THANK YOU for all the help !!!!!!! Even though I tried to up the CPU Freq to 163 and it KP'd on me, I think I should have burned it in for some time FIRST before upping it, because now I can't go back to 162 without a KP as well. So I will need some more input from you to get this back up there so I can torture test (TT) it. BTW, I've been using this method here for torture testing:

http://macfidelity.de/2009/05/10/mac-how-to-stress-test-your-cpu-in-mac-os-x/

It says to:

Open Terminal.app
Enter: yes > /dev/null
Press Enter

Then open another Terminal.app (T.app) page (while the other one is going) and do this process for as many virtual cores that you have in your system, (for the SR-2 setup that would be a total of 24 T.app pages).

What do you think of using that as a method of TT for Underclocking purposes? Let me know...

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Well, my GeekBench (v 2.2.6) score was originally at little over 24,000 running the X5680's at stock. Then when you gave me some help with the .kext and other file changes it dropped in half to a little over 12,000. I was wondering "what in the world?!?!" But I really didn't want to go there yet as I knew you weren't done trying to help me. Then you assisted me in making the final changes in my BIOS and the first GB score was a 32,565 and the next one was 32,998 !!! (located here: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/592622). So it's kickin' it and I'm really amazed. Now I have to do the rest of what you said by running it for 24/7 to burn it in. So THANK YOU for all the help !!!!!!! Even though I tried to up the CPU Freq to 163 and it KP'd on me, I think I should have burned it in for some time FIRST before upping it, because now I can't go back to 162 without a KP as well. So I will need some more input from you to get this back up there so I can torture test (TT) it. BTW, I've been using this method here for torture testing:

http://macfidelity.de/2009/05/10/mac-how-to-stress-test-your-cpu-in-mac-os-x/

It says to:

Open Terminal.app
Press Enter

Then open another Terminal.app (T.app) page (while the other one is going) and do this process for as many virtual cores that you have in your system, (for the SR-2 setup that would be a total of 24 T.app pages).

What do you think of using that as a method of TT for Underclocking purposes? Let me know...

Try not to worry and try 164 BCLK. Then add 4 steps of Vcore if it fails to boot and set all of the CPU VVT voltages to 1.4 volts and the IOH to 1.4 volts. If that doesn't work, don't change the setting from those recommended in the last sentence, but change all of the Signal Tweak parameters, except for those referencing PCIe, to their maximum negative values. What' the new geekbench score and the nativepowermanagement turbo ratio shown by the Console.app?

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Try not to worry and try 164 BCLK. Then add 4 steps of Vcore if it fails to boot and set all of the CPU VVT voltages to 1.4 volts and the IOH to 1.4 volts. If that doesn't work, don't change the setting from those recommended in the last sentence, but change all of the Signal Tweak parameters, except for those referencing PCIe, to their maximum negative values. What' the new geekbench score and the nativepowermanagement turbo ratio shown by the Console.app?

That means I'm going up 5 + 4 steps from your original post setting on #70. Well, I did it and here's my new GB score:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/592678

I'm right under your next protégé... Echrei

Should I Torture Test my CPU's using this method that I mentioned before?

Open Terminal.app
Press Enter

Edit: Spoke too soon. I tried to GB it again and it shut down. I will all the vantages to 1.4 volts (like yesterday) and see what happens...

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
That means I'm going up 5 + 4 steps from your original post setting on #70. Well, I did it and here's my new GB score:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/592678

I'm right under your next protégé... Echrei

Should I Torture Test my CPU's using this method that I mentioned before?

Open Terminal.app
Press Enter

Edit: Spoke too soon. I tried to GB it again and it shut down. I will all the vantages to 1.4 volts (like yesterday) and see what happens...

Also raise all CPU Vcores another 2-3 steps for 164 BCLK. If this works, then raise it to 165 w/o adding any additional Vcore. What are the turbo boost ratios shown in Console.app and the new Geekbench2 score?

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Also raise all CPU Vcores another 2-3 steps for 164 BCLK. If this works, then raise it to 165 w/o adding any additional Vcore. What are the turbo boost ratios shown in Console.app and the new Geekbench2 score?

I have done what you just said and I have it up the 164 with raised CPU Vcores and the score has actually dropped a bit by 1000. Not much but I figured since everything was working fine I did a few more GB render tests. I'm now using Terminal (and opened 24 separate pages in Terminal) to perform that TT that I mentioned earlier. I can see (in iStat) that every page that I executed the command:

yes > /dev/null

another one of the 24 cores would go to 100% stress. I would use Prime95 but quite few people (programmers) have said that using that TT app has not been updated in quite some time and is not stressing every core to it's full capacity and may over stress other parts of your system that aren't needed and could hurt it. So I found this TT as an alternative to use. Sure it's a little bit of a pain to open 24 pages to perform the same command, but since I'm doing this every day and am only doing this to get it to where it will peak, that's just fine with me.

So far (@ 164) it's doing pretty good. I'm going to let this continue for the next 10 to 12 hours and then up it to 165 and perform the same TT and go from there. If you feel that I need to do a full 24 hours, then please let me know and I'll continue to let it run for the full 24. Thank you... :)

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I have done what you just said and I have it up the 164 with raised CPU Vcores and the score has actually dropped a bit by 1000. Not much but I figured since everything was working fine I did a few more GB render tests. I'm now using Terminal (and opened 24 separate pages in Terminal) to perform that TT that I mentioned earlier. I can see (in iStat) that every page that I executed the command:

yes > /dev/null

another one of the 24 cores would go to 100% stress. I would use Prime95 but quite few people (programmers) have said that using that TT app has not been updated in quite some time and is not stressing every core to it's full capacity and may over stress other parts of your system that aren't needed and could hurt it. So I found this TT as an alternative to use. Sure it's a little bit of a pain to open 24 pages to perform the same command, but since I'm doing this every day and am only doing this to get it to where it will peak, that's just fine with me.

So far (@ 164) it's doing pretty good. I'm going to let this continue for the next 10 to 12 hours and then up it to 165 and perform the same TT and go from there. If you feel that I need to do a full 24 hours, then please let me know and I'll continue to let it run for the full 24. Thank you... :)

Falling scores at higher, but working, BCLK steps usually indicate that a few more steps of CPU Vcore may be needed if IOH and CPU VTT are already set to 1.4V. What are the current voltage settings for each CPU, the IOH and CPU VTT? We do not want to exceed one step below 1.35V for CPU Vcore.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Falling scores at higher, but working, BCLK steps usually indicate that a few more steps of CPU Vcore may be needed if IOH and CPU VTT are already set to 1.4V. What are the current voltage settings for each CPU, the IOH and CPU VTT? We do not want to exceed one step below 1.35V for CPU Vcore.

Well from your original post (#70) you have it set up this way:

CPU 0 Vcore boot - 1.2750
CPU 0 Vcore eventual - 1.3000
CPU 1 Vcore boot - 1.2675
CPU 1 Vcore eventual - 1.2875

CPU VTT both boot - 1.325
CPU VTT both eventual - 1.350

CPU 0 DIMM Vcore - 1.65
CPU 1 DIMM Vcore - 1.66
IOH 1.35

And from all the adjustments from up stepping it 5 + 4 + 3 has it currently now at:

CPU 0 Vcore boot - 1.35
CPU 0 Vcore eventual - 1.375
CPU 1 Vcore boot - 1.34375
CPU 1 Vcore eventual - 1.36250

CPU VTT both boot - 1.35
CPU VTT both eventual - 1.375

I just kept this the same (below) as you instructed if the system didn't lock up; which it hasn't yet:

CPU 0 DIMM Vcore - 1.65
CPU 1 DIMM Vcore - 1.66
IOH 1.35

Hope that helps and I look forward to your reply. Just to let you know I just shut everything down in my TT to be able to give you the actual numbers here and will continue, but I'll wait for your reply (if any changes need to be made) here before I move forward with any further TT'ing.

PS - Man, is my office HOT!, now that I'm TT'ing...

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I figured that I would do this setup:

CPU 0 Vcore boot - 1.35
CPU 1 Vcore boot - 1.35
CPU 1 Vcore eventual - 1.375

CPU VTT both boot - 1.40
CPU VTT both eventual - 1.40

CPU 0 DIMM Vcore - 1.65
CPU 1 DIMM Vcore - 1.66
IOH 1.40

and set the CPU Freq to 165 and guess what? It booted fine (so far) and I just did a GB and guess what else? I beat Echrei's GB score - YES !!! :D

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/593259

Now I'm going to TT it until you give me further instructions on what to do... I'll be waiting for your reply, thanks again...

Hope it doesn't lock up on me...

PS - None of the temp monitoring apps work now (since I switched from 3,1 to 5,1). So iStat doesn't work and neither does smcK-istat-i. Actually, smcK-istat-i shuts right off when I try to launch it. Do you have another app that I can use to monitor the temps or just us the mobo. Right now it's sitting at 30C and when I TT all the cores it goes to 62C and just stays there... Hope this info helps... :cool:

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Just did another GB and this time it went from 33414 to... 33781 !!! Here's the link...

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/593291

BTW, I just checked my Turbo Ratios (in Console) and they are: DDDDEE I think this is what you have and what you were hoping would be the same with my (eventual) result. My question is then, why did it go from 111122 to DDDDEE, and what is the difference between the two?

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Tutor says - Think like the greatest thinkers of all time & connect the dots in life.

Just did another GB and this time it went from 33414 to... 33781 !!! Here's the link...

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/593291

BTW, I just checked my Turbo Ratios (in Console) and they are: DDDDEE I think this is what you have and what you were hoping would be the same with my (eventual) result. My question is then, why did it go from 111122 to DDDDEE, and what is the difference between the two?

It's explained in post#29, above. Hexidecimal counting should be more meaningful to you now. The short answer is that your machine is biased in favor of having an extraordinary turboboost potential. This results from setting the idle CPU frequency to 13. This yeilds a much greater turboboost potential because the range from 13 to 27 (14) is greater than the range from 25 to 27 (2). Turboboost carries the heavy load. Overclocking it 24/7 to have it reach it's fullest potential, like Echrei, uses a lot more Vcore->more heat->more chip degradation->shorter chip life->diminshed performance ceiling->more frustration and more $ going to power company->less happiness. Your system uses a lot less Vcore than Echrei's probably does. Moreover, less Vcore->less power consumption->less heat->cooler system->more turboboosting->higher performance-> greater geekbench2 score->more personal satisfaction. Also, less power consumption->lower electrical power bill->more money in your pocket->fewer excuses to refuse to buy your significant other that new garb->more happiness for that significant other->more passion towards you-> more---------for you->more happiness for you. Its a win-win-win-win-win-~ situation. It results from an old man's way of thinking: take it slow and only use that precious energy when you have to. That's what I mean when I say to open up your mind to the oneness of creation, for you'll begin to see the parallels providing the basis for and potentially leading to, if you do with all that you know, greater discoveries throughtout your life in everything you set your mind, body and soul to achieve.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I figured that I would do this setup:

CPU 0 Vcore boot - 1.35
CPU 1 Vcore boot - 1.35
CPU 1 Vcore eventual - 1.375

CPU VTT both boot - 1.40
CPU VTT both eventual - 1.40

CPU 0 DIMM Vcore - 1.65
CPU 1 DIMM Vcore - 1.66
IOH 1.40

and set the CPU Freq to 165 and guess what? It booted fine (so far) and I just did a GB and guess what else? I beat Echrei's GB score - YES !!! :D

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/593259

Now I'm going to TT it until you give me further instructions on what to do... I'll be waiting for your reply, thanks again...

Hope it doesn't lock up on me...

PS - None of the temp monitoring apps work now (since I switched from 3,1 to 5,1). So iStat doesn't work and neither does smcK-istat-i. Actually, smcK-istat-i shuts right off when I try to launch it. Do you have another app that I can use to monitor the temps or just us the mobo. Right now it's sitting at 30C and when I TT all the cores it goes to 62C and just stays there... Hope this info helps... :cool:

BTW, I'm still very excited that you have helped me get to the point from being on page 50 to making it straight to page 2 on Geekbench. I didn't realize how far up I really was until I glanced at the "typical" GB score (where I was at before I received your help). So again, thank you !!!

Now from what you see here (from my current BIOS set up), I TT'd my system yesterday for about 10 hours and launched my email app to check my email while I was TT'ing and it shut down. I obviously overstressed way too much doing that because I had Safari running as well. But since it was late and needed to go to bed I just called it a night and will TT this morning. I wanted to find out should I keep the same settings and go from 165 to 166? What is your thought?

BTW, do you think using the method of TT (by using this method here with Terminal: http://blog.scoopz.com/2011/08/17/s...nning-os-x-and-monitor-core-cpu-temperatures/), is that the best way to TT?

Lastly, my CPU temps are not recognized by any of the CPU temp apps that I'm using. Is there a possible fix for this? Thanks... :)

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
We haven't tweaked the ram yet. That should take your system's Geekbench2 score over 34,000 on a 24/7 setting.

What would be your suggestion? Should I keep the 1066 and then input 9-10-9-27 / command rate (CR) 1, instead of the keeping everything on AUTO (7-7-7-20 / CR 2? and is there any other RAM tweaking that I need to look at changing? Any input would be appreciated... :)

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
What would be your suggestion? Should I keep the 1066 and then input 9-10-9-27 / command rate (CR) 1, instead of the keeping everything on AUTO (7-7-7-20 / CR 2? and is there any other RAM tweaking that I need to look at changing? Any input would be appreciated... :)

I suggest 1333 MHz and command rate 1 without a doubt. Also, I would try either 9-9-9-25 or 9-10-9-26 or 9-11-9-27 if the first, or second, one causes any problems. Tell me the difference, if any, that it makes to Geekbench2 score.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I suggest 1333 MHz and command rate 1 without a doubt. Also, I would try either 9-9-9-25 or 9-10-9-26 or 9-11-9-27 if the first, or second, one causes any problems. Tell me the difference, if any, that it makes to Geekbench2 score.

Hi Tutor, well I tried upped it from 1066 to 1333 & CR 1, then input 9-9-9-25; wouldn't start up. Then tried 9-10-9-26 and only 40GB would work, then tried 9-11-9-27 and only 32GB would work.

I know that you mentioned that keeping it at 1066 would bring to 1333, but I'm gathering taking to 1333 would take it to a higher Mhz. I will wait for your input... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.