Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Is it actually a lot slimmer than the majority of cases? I'm going for either this or the cheaper Tecknet which served my iPad 2 so well.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Mine still hasn't been sent.. STM really messing up on getting them here.

STM told me the stock arrived on Monday into the UK, then where I bought from said
I have just had the following response from our contact at STM;

“The blue I believe are landing this week, a delay because of magnet issues but should all be cleared up and in stock over next few days.”

Fingers crossed we should have them by next week.

mixedup

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
RadTech have told me they're going to send me a replacement (and test it out prior to sending it).

Apparently the sleep/wake magnet issue was fixed by STM, but somehow the version I received slipped through the cracks.

Other than that issue, it snaps in securely, is quite thin/light (thin enough to slip inside a sleeve I bought....which I was hoping for!). Will be able to give a better impression when I receive the replacement and actually get to use it! For now it's back to the smart cover/sleeve combo.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
RadTech have told me they're going to send me a replacement (and test it out prior to sending it).

Apparently the sleep/wake magnet issue was fixed by STM, but somehow the version I received slipped through the cracks.

Other than that issue, it snaps in securely, is quite thin/light (thin enough to slip inside a sleeve I bought....which I was hoping for!). Will be able to give a better impression when I receive the replacement and actually get to use it! For now it's back to the smart cover/sleeve combo.
Was fixed after the first shipments...hence the delay to the UK.

mixedup

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Was fixed after the first shipments...hence the delay to the UK.

Apparently fixed before they reached RadTech, but some obviously slipped through the cracks. I was told they're shipping my replacement today....can't wait to get a decent case (I paid for Fedex priority to get it here quickly....only to find out it didn't work....grrrr!).

adambadamh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
Got mine finally today, USPS somehow missent it though it finally arrived.

First thought was that the mushroom color looks really good. Its darker than some of the shots online which I like. Its a very dark earth tone brown with a little red touch.

It snaps right in and the sleep/wake function seems to be working as advertised.

With that said, as others have pointed out, it doesn't lie fully flat on its back and unlike the previous model it doesn't softly snap shut without tucking in the flap. This later point might just be a deal break for me, I have to use the case for a few more days and then decide.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Apparently fixed before they reached RadTech, but some obviously slipped through the cracks. I was told they're shipping my replacement today....can't wait to get a decent case (I paid for Fedex priority to get it here quickly....only to find out it didn't work....grrrr!).
Oh I see. That sucks :(

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Pleather Alternative to Skinny

I haven't received my Skinny yet but some of the comments to the poor workmanship and fraying of the material are disappointing. However, up until this point I've only really seen this Skinny and the Lexington that have this strap and 2 position set up. Unlike so many others that don't like the strap, I totally do like it as being best for my needs. I like the additional protection when closed to ensure the case doesn't come open when flopping around in a briefcase or purse. I also like the extra stability the strap gives when using in the typing mode. Sometimes I'll watch a movie lying down and with the additional stability of the strap I can prop the iPad sideways for the best viewing angle. Couldn't do this with any other folding type case.

Anyway, others mentioned they would like to see this type of case in a leather version. I have found a cool white one from Boxwave in Winter White pleather. I placed an order for that one as well as I think it may be a better option for me, especially with reports of the skinny having sub par workmanship and the strap becoming loose when worn a bit.

http://www.boxwave.com/ipad-3-cases...leather-smart-nuovo-ipad-case/bwpdd/mtg-zvtk/

mixedup

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Not sure whether a 'working magnet' will make a difference, but the flap on it's own may be an issue. There is a considerable 'gap' while the cover is closed as the flap can only keep it in place so much and it doesn't lay completely flat. Wondering if that will cause it to 'wake' without actually opening the cover.

Stay tuned....

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I can't find stock of this case anywhere in the UK, has anyone got a link for them for me? I know they had problems with the sleep/wake function, so just wondering if this has been sorted out yet?

I want a case on mine asap really.

Thanks
Jordan

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I can't find stock of this case anywhere in the UK, has anyone got a link for them for me? I know they had problems with the sleep/wake function, so just wondering if this has been sorted out yet?

I want a case on mine asap really.

Thanks
Jordan
I had Adam from STM UK ring me this morning.

The black & 'cant remember colour' arrived in the country on Monday, it took a few days to clear customs so I would imagine retailers should be having these today/Monday.

Blue and the rest of the colours should arrive tomorrow, hopefuly get customs clearance by Tuesday so retailers should have midweek/Thursday.

As a note the STM Grip won't be sold in the UK, as well as anywhere in Europe I don't think.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I had Adam from STM UK ring me this morning.

The black & 'cant remember colour' arrived in the country on Monday, it took a few days to clear customs so I would imagine retailers should be having these today/Monday.

Blue and the rest of the colours should arrive tomorrow, hopefuly get customs clearance by Tuesday so retailers should have midweek/Thursday.

As a note the STM Grip won't be sold in the UK, as well as anywhere in Europe I don't think.

Thanks for that. I'll wait for one of these then. Just nipped into the shop to have a look at these, and they look really nice (the iPad 2 version) so I'm going to wait for them to come over to the uk.

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
I have a STM Skinny on my iPad 2 and am looking for something similar or identical for my iPad 3

I don't understand Radtech's web site "...fits iPad 2 or iPad 3...". Makes it sound like one fits all.
I tried my iPad2's Skinny on the iPad 3, and it does not fit. The iPad 3 is thicker, and the corner "hooks" don't snap and hold it in place.

Also, by looking at the selection buttons on the web site, it looks like the iPad 2 version and iPad 3 version are different.

But anyway, from what others in this thread are saying, it fits and works. I'll order one when they have stock.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
read my post #90

Yeah, I've read that mate, hence my post asking if anywhere has it yet :)

i'm guessing you were referring to it coming into the UK last monday, i was just wondering if any sites have listed it in stock yet.

Jordan

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Yeah, I've read that mate, hence my post asking if anywhere has it yet :)

i'm guessing you were referring to it coming into the UK last monday, i was just wondering if any sites have listed it in stock yet.

Jordan
Until they actually receive it well no they shouldn't so.. Mid next weekish I would imagine they will say in stock.

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
Has anyone had any luck buying this case from amazon yet? It shows as in stock from them. At least in black.

Actually, sold by J&R Music and Computer World through Amazon.
I'd say there's a good chance it's stock from the first batch that didn't have the right magnet polarity.

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
So ordering from rad tech means I'll get the second, better run?

It's anecdotal and circumstantial, but that's the conclusion I came to after reading this magnet polarity feature on the ipad 3 that prevents screen off when the cover is on the back side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.