Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following his appearance at the Xidan Joy City retail store in Beijing and meetings with Chinese government officials earlier this week, Bloomberg now reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook has also toured a new iPhone production facility in Zhengzhou, China.
Apple Inc. Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook visited Foxconn Technology Group's newly built manufacturing facility for the iPhone in Zhengzhou, China, as the U.S. company seeks to improve working conditions.

The iPhone production line is at the new Foxconn Zhengzhou Technology Park, which employs 120,000 people, Carolyn Wu, a Beijing-based Apple spokeswoman, said in an e-mail today. She didn't provide other details on Cook's visit or say how much longer he'll be in China after having held high-level talks in Beijing earlier this week.
tim_cook_zhengzhou_iphone_plant.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook tours Foxconn's new iPhone production line in Zhengzhou, China (Source: Apple)
China is a key location for Apple for a number of reasons, including its role in manufacturing and assembly, a desire to focus on expansion in the market there, and intellectual property issues. Cook's trip appears to be addressing most of these aspects, demonstrating continued concern over working conditions in its manufacturing partners' plants while also working to build relationships with key political and business figures in the country.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Tours Foxconn iPhone Production Facility in China

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Since he is now the public face of Apple, it's good to see him out and about. He seems just as ready to meet with premiers and executives as he does with customers and those on the manufacturing line.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4)

Place your hands together for the reality distortion field, Tim. Don't use the force in such a confined space.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Being a public figure for the company will only get more important as Apple continues to grow and is put more in the spotlight. Tim is going about this the right way.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
Im willing to bet the yellow denotes him as being a person of importance. So when the employees see the amount of yellow they understand the significance of the person. Look at the other behind that just have a yellow hat and/or collar.

just my thoughts
Chris

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Im willing to bet the yellow denotes him as being a person of importance. So when the employees see the amount of yellow they understand the significance of the person. Look at the other behind that just have a yellow hat and/or collar.

just my thoughts
Chris

From Wikipedia:

Yellow, corresponding with earth, is considered the most beautiful color. The Chinese saying, Yellow generates Yin and Yang, implies that yellow is the center of everything. Associated with but ranked above brown, yellow signifies neutrality and good luck. Yellow is sometimes paired with red in place of gold.

Yellow was the color of Imperial China and is held as the symbolic color of the five legendary emperors of ancient China. Yellow often decorates royal palaces, altars and temples, and the color was used in the robes and attire of the emperors.

Yellow also represents freedom from worldly cares and is thus esteemed in Buddhism. Monks’ garments are yellow, as are elements of Buddhist temples. Yellow is also used as a mourning color for Chinese Buddhists.

daverso

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007

just my thoughts
Chris

Could be.

Do you think they probably had a black turtleneck version for steve?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I would have gone with the blue. The yellow reminds me of a raincoat I used to have when I was 6.

Colored uniforms are used as a standard to help identify who's who to workers. Just as US executives might wear a tie for identification, they dress everyone in different colors in Asia to show who holds what rank or where they fit in the grand scheme of things. Customers are the most important, so a full bright yellow jumpsuit would really make him stand out. Partial yellow uniforms would indicate customers of less rank or importance.

Many companies have adopted uniforms in the USA, often using the color of their embroidered names to identify their rank or position in the organization.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA

just my thoughts
Chris

I'm going to guess it was a safety issue. Tim isn't as familiar with the factory as an Foxconn employee. Because he's moving around the place, this make him more visible, and less likely to be run into, over, etc.

It's like tying a bell around a cat's neck so you don't trip on it.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Hmmmm. The more I look at it, I'm pretty sure TC is giving absolution to the worker that first said, "working here sucks!"

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
very nice.

Whereas Steve Jobs was the Creative Mind CEO to think of all the "answers" and direction.

Tim Cook is the Strategic Mind CEO who understands the logistics of having supply chain and garnering respect in the new areas for Apple to hit.

this is a GREAT CEO train. rather than have another creative guru who the media would say he/she tries too hard to be like SJ.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yellow, corresponding with earth, is considered the most beautiful color. The Chinese saying, Yellow generates Yin and Yang, implies that yellow is the center of everything. Associated with but ranked above brown, yellow signifies neutrality and good luck. Yellow is sometimes paired with red in place of gold. ... Yellow also represents freedom from worldly cares...

Hm! I would have expected yellow to correspond to the sun, for the same reasons listed, since nearly every last culture throughout human history has placed the sun at its center (even anthropomorphized) as the eternal giver and maintainer of life. Very interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.