Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbecker16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Does anyone know what the best 23 or 24 inch monitor to buy would be? I've been looking for and led lit ips display with either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 resolution, fully adjustable (height, swivel, tilt, optional pivot), and the full array of io ports(d-sub, dvi, hdmi, display port). I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. The ASus pro art monitors seem pretty good but all the reviews I have read seem to indicate sub-par quality. The newest dell and hp monitors also seem nice but are missing the connectivity I want. I really like the NEC EA241WM but it has a tn panel, although it seems like a really good tn panel. I'm a bit flexible on the ports but I need hdmi, dvi and display port. It should also have a fourth io port as either a d-sub, second hdmi, or second dvi. Any recommendations.

Thanks.

mbecker16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I'm looking to spend about 500 or less. I would buy a new apple display or an older 24" led display but I need the additional connectivity to hook up to a couple other desktop machines.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
1920 x 1200 makes a surprising amount of difference to useable space. With documents in particular, height matters. Go for that if you can.

Dell do seem to do very good monitors at a reasonable price. You are looking to spend 500, but I don't know what currency that is in. $500 is different to £500 or very different to ¥500.

ricardoflamingo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Does anyone know if Dell ever puts the u2410 on sale? I want one but do not want to pay that full price. If not I will goto B&H.

mbecker16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking to spend $500 more or less, preferably a bit less.

I'm not sure if dell ever puts their monitors on sale. I'm sure you could find a discount code somewhere. I think newegg sometimes has a discount on some monitors.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Does anyone know if Dell ever puts the u2410 on sale? I want one but do not want to pay that full price. If not I will goto B&H.

It's been on sale a number of times for $450. Here's just one example, from back in February: https://slickdeals.net/coupons/dell-home-office/

You can register on Slickdeals and then set email alerts for specific products. Set an alert for "u2410" and you'll get an email alert as soon as someone posts a deal for it. NO deal ever escapes notice on Slickdeals.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking to spend $500 more or less, preferably a bit less.

I'm not sure if dell ever puts their monitors on sale. I'm sure you could find a discount code somewhere. I think newegg sometimes has a discount on some monitors.

If you can afford $500 get a used 24" Apple Cinema Display, they're beautiful and perfect if you have a MacBook. If you NEED one with all those ports I would definitely go with Dell Ultra-sharp u2312h or u2412h

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
I wanted to breathe a little life back into this.

I too am considering a monitor, but can't decide if I should either search for a bargain Apple Cinema Display ( I really like the older 20-23 inch silver frame designs ) or if I should invest in some newer tech.

Ideally, I would like the ability to hook up my Xbox via HDMI, but I don't think it's possible with either.

I know I could get a cheaper Dell with IPS, but it's so darn ugly in my opinion. I know the picture quality is better.. Somebody help me make this decision. Chime in!

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
too bad the 24" cinema display is so difficult to find these days...

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I picked up a used dell U2410 and couldn't be happier. The price was exceptional and the condition is immaculate. I do see how some people complain about the AG coating but once I calibrated the display, everything looks great. I would definitely recommend this display. Of course, if you can afford an ACD then do what you please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.