Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Computer: 2011 Baseline 13 inch Macbook Pro (sandy bridge)

Stream stuff: Blackmagic Intensity Extreme, Adobe Flash Media Encoder, Soundflower

Adobe settings: BMIE 720p, 60 fps, 640x360 input and output size, 1000kbps

My video has been lagging behind my audio by about 2 seconds. Because of this I've been cutting the audio and just playing music over my xbox gameplay but i'd really like to get this problem ironed out. Because of my capture card I have to set my adobe to 720p and 60 fps, which gets compressed to 640x360 cuz thats all my computer can handle it seems. Would this be a hardware issue, or could it be the heavy compression of video vs the audio not needing as much compression so it outputs at uneven times? I can't even begin to record in HD so i am looking at buying an iMac, can anyone tell recommended specs for recording HD video, cutting montages with iMovie, and streaming in 720p? I know alot of people capture with camtwist and eyetv which i dont have, is this what I need to do to keep it from lagging?

Any help would be much appreciated, I've asked on a few forums and haven't really got a response yet. If anything I just wanna know if theres another program i need to use that corrects this or how much to spend on a new iMac;)

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
This is a problem with FME, I have the same exact issue on my 6 core Mac Pro using a BMI pro. There is no issues capturing 720p video in the bLack Magic software or final cut. But using either FME or Wirecast to stream the audio begins to lag and the lag grows.

Now to make it even more odd, if you switch to 1080i the lag doesn't seem to occur. Also to to further make me think it's FME (which Wirecast is also based on) if I run FME or Wirecast on windows via boot camp I don't have the lag issue while streaming 720p.

I've tried everything differnt frame rates, different sizes,using hdmi audio, using line in, and Mac streaming always has an audio lag. And I've tried the adobe forums and no one has been help.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
This is a problem with FME, I have the same exact issue on my 6 core Mac Pro using a BMI pro. There is no issues capturing 720p video in the bLack Magic software or final cut. But using either FME or Wirecast to stream the audio begins to lag and the lag grows.

Now to make it even more odd, if you switch to 1080i the lag doesn't seem to occur. Also to to further make me think it's FME (which Wirecast is also based on) if I run FME or Wirecast on windows via boot camp I don't have the lag issue while streaming 720p.

I've tried everything differnt frame rates, different sizes,using hdmi audio, using line in, and Mac streaming always has an audio lag. And I've tried the adobe forums and no one has been help.

Well that's a bit of a bummer. I really don't wanna switch back to PC just to stream...specially since I just made the switch to all mac and got a mac based capture card. If you find out a remedy to this problem let me know, cuz i'm still searching and posting on forums and can't see to find info or get help on fixing this.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Well that's a bit of a bummer. I really don't wanna switch back to PC just to stream...specially since I just made the switch to all mac and got a mac based capture card. If you find out a remedy to this problem let me know, cuz i'm still searching and posting on forums and can't see to find info or get help on fixing this.

Bootcamp, that would be your option. Any type of footage I need for editing I do in Mac, streaming I do in Windows.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Bootcamp, that would be your option. Any type of footage I need for editing I do in Mac, streaming I do in Windows.

Alright so pick up a copy of windows and run in bootcamp...upsetting to hear. Can I still use my Blackmagic Intensity Extreme to capture at least? (noob question I know lol)

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Alright so pick up a copy of windows and run in bootcamp...upsetting to hear. Can I still use my Blackmagic Intensity Extreme to capture at least? (noob question I know lol)
Yes, you can get the windows software off the BM site. I use MAC to capture footage for editing in FCPX and I bootcamp into Windows to stream via Flash Media Encoder Live or Wirecast.

crankypunk

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
I just got the Blackmagic Intesity Extreme today ... got it working on MAC no problem ... booted to BOOTCAMP and try over and over each driver and would not work on windows 7 bootcamp ...how did you get it to work ?

trexid

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Black Magic Extreme + Bootcamp?

Yes, you can get the windows software off the BM site. I use MAC to capture footage for editing in FCPX and I bootcamp into Windows to stream via Flash Media Encoder Live or Wirecast.

Wondering the same thing, you can boot camp into windows and use the Black Magic Extreme from there into Wirecast?

Did you just use the Black Magic software on their website, desktop video? I'm trying to get a similar setup working.

Thanks!

WLHUNG

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
I have a 13in MBP (late 2010) model and I am having trouble setting up the Extreme. My computer won't recognize the black magic extreme when i plug it into my mac via thunderbolt cable. Did anyone have this problem or could someone help me out? I am about to return the Extreme but I really do not want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.