Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangexor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I am trying to simplify my home theater setup of a Linux nettop (MythTV, occasional web content) and AppleTV (Gen 1) with a Mac Mini. The major sticking point seems to be the lack of a "nice" AirTunes capability on the Mini.

The sole purpose of our AppleTV has been to serve as a remote speaker for our laptops. Specifically, the nice feature of it is the cover art and song/album info.

I have looked into AirServer, XBMC 11, and Plex (not quite relevant as it doesn't support AirPlay). XBMC technically does support AirPlay, but it doesn't have the cover art and album info. I get the feeling AirServer is the same, but haven't been able to see confirmation.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I want to keep the control of music selection and playing on the laptops. I think at this point if I wish to keep the interface, I will just have to keep the ATV hardware in the mix. Hopefully I am wrong!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.