Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Actual SMS messages sent to your phone number from someone else's phone? No.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Yep, you can't. Even though the carrier gives you a "number" SMS messages are usually blocked. The only "text" message you can get are iMessages that are sent to you via your iCloud ID.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I wish we could get text messages on iPad. Annoying. Maybe there's app that forwards them?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Not SMS messages but you can use imessenger which is like using yahoo or msn messenger except up I can only send messages to iPhones iPod touches and other iPads for now. Hopping that they build a client for Mac OSX soon

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Not SMS messages but you can use imessenger which is like using yahoo or msn messenger except up I can only send messages to iPhones iPod touches and other iPads for now. Hopping that they build a client for Mac OSX soon

OS X Mountain Lion will have many new features. Messages is one of them, which will support the iMessage service.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
OS X Mountain Lion will have many new features. Messages is one of them, which will support the iMessage service.

JSYK, iMessages is currently available for download as a beta. I will say, though, that it has been less-than-great on Lion. Even on my iPad, sometimes iMessages won't all come in, and they only show up on my iPhone. It's a great concept, so I hope they work out all of their bugs soon.

----------

Thank you for that update I had read that sometime back but forgot so thank you

You can test it out now. No need to wait on Mountain Lion. :)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
@Caliber26 Yes, I'm aware of that. I downloaded it as soon I knew that it was available for download :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.