Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
i just recently got a mac mini and today i got a firewire 800 to 4 pin but it doesnt seem to detect my camera, but it shows on the camera that its connected. any help?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Where do you see, that it is not connected?
Have you opened iMovie yet or QuickTime Player to record from the Mini DV camcorder's tapes?

Nov 28, 2010
located
ive tried it both in imovie and final cut pro, nothing happens

Then what camcorder model is it, what exact Mac with what exact Mac OS X iMovie and FCP version do you use and is the camcorder recognised via System Profiler / Hardware > Firewire (System Information > System Report in )Mac OS X 10.7 Lion)?
And do you have any other cable to test?

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
its a sony handycam, dcr-hc46. i have fcp 7 and the latest of imovie. it doesnt show up in there, and i have lion

Nov 28, 2010
located
its a sony handycam, dcr-hc46. i have fcp 7 and the latest of imovie. it doesnt show up in there, and i have lion

Then ... what exact Mac ... do you use and is the camcorder recognised via System Profiler / Hardware > Firewire (System Information > System Report in )Mac OS X 10.7 Lion)?

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I googled your camera. There are other people with similar problems. I suggest you use Google for a solution. I have a similar problem with older gear than yours. I often have to use a Canopus ADVC110 to get around it. The older gear is recognized in iMovie 08 and Final Cut 4.5 HD on a 2008 Macbook, but not in Final Cut X or iMovie 09 on a late 2009 Mini.

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Then ... what exact Mac ... do you use and is the camcorder recognised via System Profiler / Hardware > Firewire (System Information > System Report in )Mac OS X 10.7 Lion)?

its the 2011 model, i bought it brand new. it says "warning: unable to list firewire devices"

and i did google it but i couldnt find an answer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
its the 2011 model, i bought it brand new. it says "warning: unable to list firewire devices"

and i did google it but i couldnt find an answer.

The camera is set to PLAY mode? Otherwise I don't know what else to do, as I never saw that warning with any Firewire device, and I had dozens to work with.

Is the camcorder recognised in QuickTime Player > File > New Movie Recording?

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
it works connects fine with a firewire 400 on my pc. but its not showing up in quicktime either. this is really annoying

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
i ended up taking my mac mini back and getting the 2.5 ghz model, i exchanged the firewire cable for another, and tried it with even another camera. but i am still having the same message, "warning: unable to list firewire devices".

Fenway's Mom

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Mini DV video transfer to iMac

Apparently, with all of the newest technology, it is not possible to connect an older video camera with a 400 firewire/to800firewire to thunderbolt cables!! Has anyone found a program or anything that will allow you to connect an older camera to the iMac to transfer older videos, and mini digital videos, to the computer for editing and safe keeping?
Thank you!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Apparently, with all of the newest technology, it is not possible to connect an older video camera with a 400 firewire/to800firewire to thunderbolt cables!! Has anyone found a program or anything that will allow you to connect an older camera to the iMac to transfer older videos, and mini digital videos, to the computer for editing and safe keeping?
Thank you!!

Some people have had luck with connecting a FireWire 800 HDD in the chain though, meaning the camera is connected to the HDD and the HDD is connected to the Mac.

Fenway's Mom

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Thank you for your response. What is the HDD?? .... I guess the hard drive? But you are saying connect the camera to a hard drive ?? Not sure how you could do that? My computer does not recognize the camera?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you for your response. What is the HDD?? .... I guess the hard drive? But you are saying connect the camera to a hard drive ?? Not sure how you could do that? My computer does not recognize the camera?

Yes, HDD is short for Hard Disk Drive, the storage medium with the spinning platters coming in sizes ranging from 500 GB to 4 TB or even 6 TB nowadays.

I just thought, you might have a Firewire 800 HDD for back up purposes or storing video footage or know someone, that has one, and thus could connect that HDD between the camera and the computer (TB Firewire adapter), as that has helped many people with FW800 ports and FW400 4-pin camcorders before. I do not know, why it works technically, but my guess would be, that the FW800 HDD has a compatible chipset and the FW400 camcorder gets spliced through that.

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I had similar issues with a Sony camera

I discovered that it isn't supported in newer versions of iMovie/Final Cut. Do a Google search of supported cameras for the software that you plan on using and check if your camera appears on the list of supported devices. You may need to purchase a newer camera. Sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.