Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This time it's more of a hobby toy for the developed world (vs. India's Simputer and similar projects). Apparently can play 1080p video and Quake III Arena. It runs off Linux on an SD card (Debian, Fedora, Arch, apparently they want to support Ubuntu but there are Ubuntu/ARM issues at the moment) and a 5v micro-USB adapter (or 4xAA if you string them up yourself). The developers want it in the hands of kids who can use it to learn programming. The $10 upgrade to $35 buys you 128MB additional memory and an ethernet port, but the first run apparently will not have a case. :D

http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/24/bare-bones-25-raspberry-computer-should-be-available-in-january/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

VentureBeat said:
You might want to hold back on that $600 Mac Mini purchase for just a little bit longer. The Raspberry Pi, the little $25 computer that can run Quake 3 Arena and play HD videos, is scheduled to go into volume production in January. If you want to splurge, you can also pay a $10 premium for the fancy Model B that comes with an ethernet port and 256 – instead of 128 – MByte RAM.

Sounds like a fun little device, if of questionable utility. Presuming one can find an appropriate Bluetooth driver, the little USB bluetooth dongle like the one I have on my EeeBox should work to make it usable from the couch. :)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
They're auctioning the first run of beta boards on eBay starting tonight (New Years Eve), which probably means that most of the testing stage is over and production boards will be available.

Here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/

rwilliford

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Rochester, MI
I'm excited for this little thing. I just saw a write-up and video on it on Mashable. I think I might just get one to play around with. I think it'd be fun!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I really like this idea; good learning experience for the beginners; remind me to my first ZX81.

Waiting for the first addon-project building a cluster with it for distributed computing ...

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
seeing as this is STILL a current event i thought i would keep this going!

I have heard that there are some big delays in the 1st batch, i was told i would have to wait until May for mine.

Anyone else got one on order?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I believe these are now for sale in the US! Still a bit tricky to get them the UK last I checked, though, so I await further distribution before I get one to have a bit of fun with :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
seeing as this is STILL a current event i thought i would keep this going!

I have heard that there are some big delays in the 1st batch, i was told i would have to wait until May for mine.

Anyone else got one on order?

I put in a request but all I've had so far is a couple of generic "coming soon" update emails. Nobody's taken my money yet so I can't complain :)

Edit: My request is with RS.

Last edited:

DJTechz

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
I live in the UK and got an email today with my link to buy one. Ordered but have an email saying we will email again "when stock is allocated to your order".

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Did it actually ship even in the US?

It looks like there was a bunch of buzz about it at the end of March, and then all shipping went on hold? All I see online are impressions of pre-production units.

Some of the posts also point out that Broadcom is providing SoC and maybe other components at cost, to enable the price. Just for general interest.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
Did it actually ship even in the US?

It looks like there was a bunch of buzz about it at the end of March, and then all shipping went on hold? All I see online are impressions of pre-production units.

Some of the posts also point out that Broadcom is providing SoC and maybe other components at cost, to enable the price. Just for general interest.

I am also interested in buying one but live in the USA - someone let me know if they find a way to order them in the good ole USA :)

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
I am also interested in buying one but live in the USA - someone let me know if they find a way to order them in the good ole USA :)

Go to the raspberry pi home page. There you find links to the two worldwide distributors, Farnell and RS14. Both can deliver to USA, more or less everywhere on mother earth.

It might take some time until you have it in your hand though.

Firstly, the deliveries has been delayed due to various snags, compliance testing is one of them. Seems like that is handled now and deliveries will start real soon now. Earlier problems included the factory sourcing wrong type of one of the components.

Secondly, my guess is that the first batch of 10000 units is already chalked up. Worldwide interest seems to be much larger. No word on when next batch can be expected, I guess they are doing their best but I would not hold my breath.

// Gunnar

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
thought i might as well dig this up to save a new thread.

Got mine this morning and have spent most of the day with it, I'm going to return it next week.

The device is exceptionally underpowered, not in terms of CPU\GPU but power, I can't run my (lowpower) mouse and KB + internet all at once! and thats with various combos of 2 powered USB hubs!

otherwise the device is impressive, but the above is a deal breaker for me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Expecting mine the week of 6/18 according to the latest email from Newark/element14.

charlieegan3: What were you using as a power supply for your Raspberry Pi?

B

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Mine arrived yesterday, got it started up couldn't try browsing cos wall mounted tv too far from router. Going to try and get a USB wifi dongle and see if that works.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I build like little portable personal soundsystems as a hobby, and I was thinking about trying one of these as a media center inside one...... I just need to find like a cheapo 6 inch touchscreen and a media app that will run on one.:D

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I am looking for a simple device that would turn a TV into something akin to a digital picture frame. Put in a USB stick full of photos and have it display a slideshow out the HDMI port. Something tiny that could stick onto the back of the TV and be pretty much set-and-forget (apply power, instant slideshow) would be ideal. I wonder if something like this would fit the bill...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am looking for a simple device that would turn a TV into something akin to a digital picture frame. Put in a USB stick full of photos and have it display a slideshow out the HDMI port. Something tiny that could stick onto the back of the TV and be pretty much set-and-forget (apply power, instant slideshow) would be ideal. I wonder if something like this would fit the bill...

Functionally you should be able to get it to do just that, but since it comes without a case, etc.. so by the time you added those you could have picked up one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

B

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Functionally you should be able to get it to do just that, but since it comes without a case, etc.. so by the time you added those you could have picked up one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

B

You may be right. But my application requires it to be completely turnkey. Do you know if the WDTV box can be configured to jump to slideshow immediately upon power on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.