Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjbrrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Dear readers,

I bought a new macbook pro 15' previous week. 2.2 ghz quad core radeon 6750.

First of all, it already cost me a lot of time because i wanted to play cod1.
First i installed windows 7 with bootcamp but when i tried to play cod it gave me errors.

So then i decided to install Snow leopard and run the game on that.
Well that worked, but now when I'm playing cod1.

I get lagg and bad fps. around 60 fps which is in cod mp bad.
with these specs of the laptop it should easily reach 125 constant.
All settings are right, have played this game for ages.

Thank you in advance ;)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I don't know if you are trolling or not, but a normal LCD screen cannot display more than 60 fps (due to 60hz refresh rate)
That's why most games now are v-synced

jjbrrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
first of all, thank you for your response.
However i am not trolling at all.
its quite normal to get fps like 300. On new systems you even should be able to get more then 600 fps.

Even when a screen is 60hz its able to show more fps in call of duty1.
So hope anyone is able to help.

swarleystinson

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
New York, NY
1st - Are you talking about the actual CoD 1? Or do you mean CoD Modern Warfare 1?
2nd - You cannot notice a difference >60 fps unless you had a 120 Hz monitor (which you don't).
3rd - Mac games are usually poorly optimized. Run in Windows proper and make sure you have all the latest drivers updated.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
first of all, thank you for your response.
However i am not trolling at all.
its quite normal to get fps like 300. On new systems you even should be able to get more then 600 fps.

Even when a screen is 60hz its able to show more fps in call of duty1.
So hope anyone is able to help.

The only thing you do when passing 60 fps on a 60hz screen is making the machine heat up.

Also did you have a new MBP? It should not run SL, but Lion

jjbrrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
1st - Are you talking about the actual CoD 1? Or do you mean CoD Modern Warfare 1?
2nd - You cannot notice a difference >60 fps unless you had a 120 Hz monitor (which you don't).
3rd - Mac games are usually poorly optimized. Run in Windows proper and make sure you have all the latest drivers updated.

I'm running call of duty 1, first game.
Secondly i can, if i didn't have lagg because of the fps it wouldn't matter but the thing is the game is lagging which is not possible with this hardware in my opinion.

Well the new drivers of ati give new problems. I installed older ones but it didn't help because i couldn't delete the drivers which are installed by bootcamp.

I'm currently running lion and snow leopard. Second one only for cod.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Well something is definitely wrong. I used to play COD1 on a 2Ghz G5 with no lag whatsoever and high video settings.

As pointed out, if you are running in Mac OS X, you should try the universal patch. If on native Windows, you may need to ensure you load the boot camp drivers, else you're running in legacy VGA (SVGA?) compatibility mode, i.e. no video hardware acceleration.

jjbrrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Well something is definitely wrong. I used to play COD1 on a 2Ghz G5 with no lag whatsoever and high video settings.

As pointed out, if you are running in Mac OS X, you should try the universal patch. If on native Windows, you may need to ensure you load the boot camp drivers, else you're running in legacy VGA (SVGA?) compatibility mode, i.e. no video hardware acceleration.

hmm maybe that gave me those errors in win7? how can i make sure the game runs by bootcamp drivers?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
If I'm not mistaken CoD is a PPC app, PPC was the old mac system and PPC performance is not good on new macs.

There is however a Unversal Binary patch for it, which should make it a lot faster:
http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37332

For those with Rosetta installed (Snow Leopard and under), I have already provided, in other threads, the most effective workaround for laggy performance in CoD 2. Just do a Get Info on the app file and tick the "Open with Rosetta" option.

You will see that GFX performance is greatly improved, the reason being: Aspyr did this port a long time ago and decided not to ensure that the application was compatible with newer GPUs.

The use of Rosetta somehow minimizes that limitation and provides a better experience for users not on Lion.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I don't think they are since it's been updated for Intel and modern GPUs. I get a perfectly smooth frame rate with Call of Duty 2 on native resolution and high settings here (1650x1050 resolution on my 22" widescreen monitor) with my 2012 Mac Mini Quad i7 Server edition. I do get some odd pause/jump/stutter effect every few minutes when something new loads, though and I'm not sure if that's the game, an OSX ML issue or my RAID0 boot drive setup (I'm planning on trying it from the bootable external backup and see if that makes any difference).

Edit:

I do see the same pauses with the external drive, but they do appear shorter. I may not have even noticed them had I not been looking for them. I do think the RAID0 setup is causing some kind of longer pause, despite it getting much faster load and copy times overall.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.