Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
My stupid iPad 1 has now decided to stop responding to some user input, making use of the device even harder. For example, if I press the home button to return to the main screen with all of my apps, it takes about 30-40 seconds. If I double click the button to open the app tray to close some apps and free up ram, the whole system will freeze for about a minute. Various apps also sometimes refuse to take any input, but they don't seem to have frozen. I can be watching a full screen movie on safari, and when I tap on the movie to open the menu to click done in the left corner, nothing happens. The movie keeps playing fine however, which makes me believe that safari isn't actually frozen. I recently did a restore to no avail, and have hard and soft rebooted the device multiple times. Anything else I could do? This stupid iPad is the biggest picece of **** I have ever purchased.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
What OS are you running?

It's not a POS, it's the fact that even though it's only 2 years old, it's quickly becoming outdated. It's only got 256mb of ram, which is most likely the main culprit. You can't expect to run today's apps on it and have it run totally smooth. It's an outdated, discontinued product. It's time for you to upgrade if you want to run the latest and greatest. Either that or clean it out, restore it, and don't run apps designed for a gig of ram.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Did you just purchase a 2nd hand iPad 1? Sounds like it. Are you running a lot of apps? Is it jailbroken? There can be a bunch of problems depending on the setup.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
What OS are you running?

It's not a POS, it's the fact that even though it's only 2 years old, it's quickly becoming outdated. It's only got 256mb of ram, which is most likely the main culprit. You can't expect to run today's apps on it and have it run totally smooth. It's an outdated, discontinued product. It's time for you to upgrade if you want to run the latest and greatest. Either that or clean it out, restore it, and don't run apps designed for a gig of ram.
I dont need to run the lastest and greatest, I simply want my ipad to work for simple things like reading pdfs and emails like it did fine before with lower OS versions. I understand it has low ram, and that it wont be current forever, but why won't they let me downgrade to a lower less RAM intensive OS? iOS 4 never had any problems, but of course stupid apple makes it impossible to downgrade, so now I am stuck with ram sucking iOS 5
Try restoring using DFU mode. Make sure the firmware gets replaced that way.
I will try that later, thanks.
Did you just purchase a 2nd hand iPad 1? Sounds like it. Are you running a lot of apps? Is it jailbroken? There can be a bunch of problems depending on the setup.

No, I have had this since 2010. iOS 5 destroyed pretty much everything for me, and these unresponsive issued started around when I installed that. The problem has been getting progressivly worst to the point where it is essentially unusable now. It is not jail broken, but does have plenty of apps installed.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I dont need to run the lastest and greatest, I simply want my ipad to work for simple things like reading pdfs and emails like it did fine before with lower OS versions. I understand it has low ram, and that it wont be current forever, but why won't they let me downgrade to a lower less RAM intensive OS? iOS 4 never had any problems, but of course stupid apple makes it impossible to downgrade, so now I am stuck with ram sucking iOS 5

It does suck that you can't downgrade the OS, but that's the way apple does things. I'd say try to sell it and get yourself an iPad 2.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Okie dokie, thanks for the background info. First thing you may want to do is upgrade from iOS5 to iOS5.1. iOS5.1 is much faster and you won't be getting the memory leaks that iOS5 had. That should speed up usage by a good deal. What I would suggest is a DFU restore to iOS5.1 and then set up as a new iPad. From there, you'll probably want to do all your apps from scratch as well as any data. I recently DFU restored to iOS5.1 and it fixed lots of issues. The other thing that's necessary is checking the task manager from time to time. I prefer to only run about 8 apps total at one time on the iPad 1.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
It does suck that you can't downgrade the OS, but that's the way apple does things. I'd say try to sell it and get yourself an iPad 2.
I don't want to sell it because it is broken. As-Is iPads bring little money back, and I truly don't think it is worth it. My iPad freezes and crashes constantly as already said, the screen burns in all of the time, the battery is problematic, the wifi has issues, etc. I would also never even think about buying any sort of iPad ever again, considering how poorly this has worked out. I have an overall lower speced Android phone that over the last 6 months has crashed a total of 3 times. My iPad crashes on safari alone about once every 15-20 minutes. If anything I would replace this with a good Android tablet, seeing as how that works a lot better.

----------

Okie dokie, thanks for the background info. First thing you may want to do is upgrade from iOS5 to iOS5.1. iOS5.1 is much faster and you won't be getting the memory leaks that iOS5 had. That should speed up usage by a good deal. What I would suggest is a DFU restore to iOS5.1 and then set up as a new iPad. From there, you'll probably want to do all your apps from scratch as well as any data. I recently DFU restored to iOS5.1 and it fixed lots of issues. The other thing that's necessary is checking the task manager from time to time. I prefer to only run about 8 apps total at one time on the iPad 1.

I already have iOS5.1. It helped somewhat, but significant performance issues are still present. I will try the DFU restore soon. Also, I typically try to have zero apps besides what I am running in the app tray, and still have all of these problems.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Wow, that does sounds weird. I've only had my iPad 1 do a lockup once to where it froze the screen and I needed to DFU restore. After the DFU restore and fresh start, it functioned great. Oh also, try to redownload the iOS5.1 update. If your original iOS5.1 update got even a little corrupted, it will hinder performance a LOT. Over the course of 2-3 years iOS devices eventually need a fresh DFU restore because some of the system files can corrupt over time.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings

Then restore from iTunes/iCloud backup

Hope this helps

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I don't want to sell it because it is broken. As-Is iPads bring little money back, and I truly don't think it is worth it. My iPad freezes and crashes constantly as already said, the screen burns in all of the time, the battery is problematic, the wifi has issues, etc. I would also never even think about buying any sort of iPad ever again, considering how poorly this has worked out. I have an overall lower speced Android phone that over the last 6 months has crashed a total of 3 times. My iPad crashes on safari alone about once every 15-20 minutes. If anything I would replace this with a good Android tablet, seeing as how that works a lot better.

----------

I already have iOS5.1. It helped somewhat, but significant performance issues are still present. I will try the DFU restore soon. Also, I typically try to have zero apps besides what I am running in the app tray, and still have all of these problems.

I HAD an iPad 1.

Same issues until I DFU with 5.1 as new. Then it magically came back to life. Old apps and old app data was destroying what usability it had.

I did say I HAD one. Traded it using gazelle.com. Got $200 and change for it. Not bad for a 3rd generation device. You could apply similar funds toward an Android tablet running ICS if that would make you happy. Maybe a nice Kindle Fire or a HP touchpad.

In my office those things are no better then coasters. When people want to work or play the iPads get grabbed first.

I expect three years from now when the current iPad becomes the equivalent of an iPhone 3Gs people will be complaining that Siri 2.0 video assistant wont run, the battery won't last a hour with NFC subscription services, and 4k video is pixelated and stutters.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
i'd do a backup and then a dfu restore as new, if that doesn't clear up all the issues your having then i would definitely replace it with another tablet of some sort, if this has soured you on the apple brand i would suggest asus' transformer pad infinity, this replaces the transformer prime,has a detachable keyboard and runs ics (have the first transformer with ics and it does quite well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.