Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260995015238?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1433.l2649&_trksid=p3984.m1433.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

I was the winner of the above auction. I've always wanted an original iPhone in MINT condition and finding one that had never been activated was a pleasant bonus.
My question is, would such an iPhone, running on the original firmware even be something AT&T would activate with new service?
Also, I'd assume, unless the firmware was updated to 3.1.3 iTunes applications would not load- only music and possibly podcasts.
I'd never update the firmware as I'd think it would be cool to simply run it as original... leading to my last question.
Would activating it take away from the value- down the road, assuming there is even a collector base for these things?
I'd imagine I should simply leave it alone but wanted your opinions.

zmbchclt

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
England, North East.
Personally, I would leave it untouched if you're gonna leave it for some point down the line.

It would be massively more appealing to collectors that it hasn't been used, and it not being activated would show that it hasn't actually being used. Make them more confident so to speak.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
There's always a collector base for Apple products.

If it happens to still have iPhone OS 1.0, that would be prime. Obviously, with that OS, there *ARE NO* apps, nor even an on-device Music Store, so those bits are irrelevant.

Even at 3.1.3, some apps won't install. It annoys me, my daughter uses my original iPhone as a glorified iPod touch, and I have accidentally updated apps on my computer's iTunes such that they will no longer run on iOS 3 - which means if anything happens to that iPhone, I won't be able to reload those apps ever again. I wish Apple would allow versioning for apps the way they allow SD and HD videos to coexist. Make it so that you can keep the newest version of the app for each maximum iOS per model, plus the very latest. So now, that would be 3.1.3 and 4.2.1, as various iDevices have those two as maximum OS versions.

(The app in question is AIM. I updated it not thinking that the newer version wouldn't run on iOS 3 any more.)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Thanks guys.
It arrived and is unbelievably pristine. The box is flawless and the iPhone itself has all the protective stickers and whatnot applied.

The attachments all have their original wrappings.
It has never been activated nor used, of course, in any way.

Quick question: not that I would, but if I did want to activate a friend told me I'd need an older version of iTunes to do so as 10.6 won't recognize this device now.

I'm thinking one day it'll be a collectors item, in the meantime it is fun to hold and remember launch day when I picked up one almost exactly like this one and enjoyed using it for quite awhile.
(In fact, although I primarily use my 4S I do have the original still activated as a back up using AT&T's GoPhone SIM.)

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
iTunes will still activate it even if it's the newest version. I got my iPhone 2G unlocked by AT&T today, so I restored it from an ISPW as it's still running iOS 2.1 firmware, and it activated just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.