Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfdub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've searched through the posts and can't find an answer to this specific issue I'm having. If there is a thread on this already please point me to it and I won't bore you with the details. If not, here goes:

I've had an iPad1 64G for a few weeks now and I really like it, but I'm not getting much use out of it due to a specific issue with my wifi. I can get on, and stay on wifi in my home with my work PC, my wife's Macbook Pro, my Asus eee, and a myriad of other wifi enabled devices. But my iPad keeps dropping the connection. I can connect just fine with no issues whatsoever, then browse online for ~10-15 minutes then I'm just bounced off. I go back to wifi, disconnect from my network (it still shows as connected at this point and even shows the wifi symbol in the upper left hand corner), then reconnect and boom I'm back on and running for another 10-15 minutes.

I feel like this has something to do with an incompatibility issue between my iPad and my router. If I take my iPad somewhere else it will connect and stay connected with no issues.

Hardware/Software:
Router: Airlink 101 AR670W
Router OS: DD-WRT (build 12874)
Devices connected: ~8-10
Wireless Mode: AP
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 6 - 2.437 GHz
Channel Width: 20Mhz
Security: WPA2 Personal
Type: TKIP+AES
Key Renewal Interval (in seconds): 3600

Any suggestions? I really appreciate any help you can give!!!

Boca

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
I have the same problem. Take it to a different wifi and it's fine. Bring it home and it works for a few days then out. My macbook and a laptop work fine...
However, my iphone which used to connect automatically will not connect at all.
Any help appreciated.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Go to Setting, WiFi and select "Forget this network". Then join your network again. This may resolve your issue.

Last edited:

Boca

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Have latest, did all of the above. Still nothing. Signal shows full, macbook works, ipad doesn't.

jfdub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Same here, I'm at the latest and I've tried deleting the network and re-adding...

A strange quirk I just noticed is that web connectivity is dropped when I'm using services like safari or mail, but if I'm watching something on netflix it will stay active for the length of the movie/show. I am so confused!!! :confused:

hesitaliandad

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
same problem for me on 3g iPad 1. forgetting network doesn't work, reset doesn't work, restore doesn't work but like every third time, then will lose it again. all other devices connect. no problems with WiFi prior to a couple weeks ago. i think it's 4.3.3

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Try disabling your auto brightness and see if you notice any improvement.

If it works, dont ask why it works, just know that it does. I havent got a clue why it works.

Xpiperx

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
Having the same problem.

Got my ipad2 friday, used it all day and the next afternoon oerfectly.

At night i went out and took it with me (to somewhere with no wifi), and right when i came back home and turned it on, browsed the internet for a few minutes, then it started to load pages slowly, then stopped.

My notebook was connecting okay, so i tried turning off and on again, the connection came back, normal, but now every ten or fifteen minutes or so, it stops again.

Altough wanting to just throw it out the window, i'm searching everywhere for an ultimate solution, but everything i do just fixes it for the damned ten minutes.

Has anyone here found a solution?
Because it worked nice for over a day, then it didnt anymore, so it cant be a hardware problem, can it?

Akamatsu

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
Austin USA and Japan
problem solved

The problem is that there are too many apps open, using too much memory. Press the front button twice. All open apps will appear along the bottom of the screen. Touch and hold one of the icons, and they will all start to wiggle and display a little red "do not enter" sign. Tough the sign on each app to close.

darknight*

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
well i have had mine from day 1, (ipad1)and it does this every now and then, no reason, and nothing i do will work, auto brightness, apps running, forget network, the lot nothing.
after a day, an hour, a minute it will come back itself, oh every other thing in the house still gets the net fine, inc all other apple devices, just the pad.
dont know the problem, but its a pain.

Skhorchid

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Wifi dropping

I'm seeing the same problem on my iPad 2. Any solutions out there?

Hi,
I have the same problem, but what I did and seems to work is keeping my network using a static ip instead of dhcp, it seems this is working, but sure there is a problem with iPad on all versions I use now the latest version and no difference between loosing the wifi signal, it improved when I'm using the static ip.

Rgds

DisJockey

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Think this might help

I know this thread is a bit old. However I'm hoping this tidbit of info might help others having this problem. Today I started having the same problem of my iPad 2 losing the network connection every 10 minutes. I tried all the suggestions, reboots, settings, brightness, the works. Nothing would fix it. What finally dawned on me was when I was reading thought the forum the select network dialog popped up and there it was... A brand new wifi router. I have my wifi settings to remember my network. And had even turned off the prompt to ask for a network. I had turned it back on to save from going back to settings every time. It got me thinking... So I logged onto the router, went into the wireless settings and I changed the channel settings from auto to a single channel, an odd number that I figured people wouldn't pick. Sure enough, it's been solid for going on 24 hours. I think my iPad was getting hosed by a competing signal. Hope this helps. :D

johnnyquest8

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Where is the WIFI for the IPADS?

Apple can fix the technical/software issue with the wifi but isnt addressing it , WTF APPLE! I tried every way and suggestion , but it's just the software/iOS that is the problem. I think Apple will not correct the problem unless there is a lawsuit or petition. So what to do?

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
The new device is only in people's hands now for ten or eleven days. I feel they will do something soon. Why wouldn't they ?

My signal was good from the 16th thru 22nd. 23rd and 24thIt became weak but has now become strong again for the last 48+ hours.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
AT&T 64 - I have used my iPad at three different places and am convinced now that my wifi is messed up- all three times my iPad wifi worked fine then died- I immediately opened the speed test on my iPhone and on the iPad and all three times at three different places the iPhone worked perfect and the iPad wifi died- I turned wifi off and on again and then it worked perfect - I'm guessing I need to return this iPad for a new one?

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
Strange like you ive had an ipad 1 for a few weeks now,i was curious if thereen some sort of death grip but can say i havent experienced anything

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Never had the wifi glitch on my ipad2. Just sold it a couple days ago but up until 48 hours ago it was strong and crisp.
The new one had worked to match my ipad2 for a week then fell off a bit. Certain areas I don't use it now.
Frustrating !
I don't like being mandated to a location to use this new iPad but it's strong in those certain locations throughout my home. I tried all the fixes but it's looking like its just the nature of the beast. Apple has to address this. One thing to keep in mind is if you go to apple for a replacement , it's so early in the ipad3 era that brown box refurbs will not be the replacement. I bought this from Apple on line the first hour it launched, I don't want a refurb that originally was handled by best buy or amazon.
Come on Apple, let's open up the dialogue on this snafu. I'll still love ya.

Btw, what if my new iPad works good at the Apple store? I'm starting to get annoyed.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
im on the phone with apple now regarding this- the wifi is getting worse on my ipad3 really just using it on ATT now as the wifi dies so quickly

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Please , by all means fill me in on anything you feel is significant...
This has to be a black eye to them. This new iPad is such a cultural giant. Always was but it's gained such momentum now that they can't stand the thought of admitting to a big glitch like this. Better they just exchange a million of them. . . I'll take every opportunity to say I miss Steve Jobs ,now more than ever.
He just worked for me.

I wonder if this giant battery has anything as in interferrance to do with it?

Last edited:

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
I purchased the apple care plus with this att 64 ipad3- got off the phone with them and the apple support guy told me to reset all my network settings which I did and while I could use wifi afterwords it reverted back to the same issue where the wifi stalled out again- I toggled the on / off switch again on wifi and it kicked back in but very quickly failed again- I'm home now doing a full restore as apple has instructed me to do- I have a case number and will hope that the full restore works- I don't want to have to return for a replacement so I'm hoping this fixes it. this is really disapointing for a brand new ipad- my ipad 1 never dropped my wifi connection nor does my iphone 4s- I haven't loaded a lot on stuff on this ipad3 that would cause this problem that I can think of- really a bummer:mad:

dell who?

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Cali
I have seen two things that can help with these types of issues. The first thing you can try is easy in terms of effort, it costs a little money, and it solves the problem very often in my experience. Simply buy and setup an Airport product as your router. I'm sure this seems oversimplified/convenient in terms of a solution, but it prevents people from having these issues almost every time. The second thing you can try, and this one's free, is a DFU mode restore on your device. Make sure everything is synced (different from backed up in iTunes), run this process, and DO NOT restore from a backup. I have seen this help plenty often as well.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I was having the same problems with random dropouts and it would ask for the password when reconnecting. I've just posted this today on the Apple forum and one person said it resolved the Wifi issues.

Try this.
I've had success with the Wifi issue and fixing it. When you connect to Wifi the iPad searches for your router or other routers within range. It seems to be unstable when connected to the router when selected from the list of routers that shows up when you turn wifi on. So try this.
Go to the Wifi section in settings and turn wifi on.
When it searches the nearby wireless connection you will see 'other' at the bottom of the router list.
Click on 'other' and enter your Wifi details manually.
The name will be whatever your router is called eg: wireless.
Select the security that matches your router security eg: WPA2.
Enter the wireless password and then hit join.
Now my Wifi remembers the password I entered and has become stable with a stronger connection I'd like to know if this solves your problem and I'm sure Apple would be too, so please post your findings here!

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18029184#18029184

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.