Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

App-Store-iBooks-150x150.png

Apple's iBookstore is coming to Brazil within the next 30 days, according to a Brazilian magazine. The iTunes Store and iTunes Match launched in Brazil late last year. Brazil has been specifically mentioned by CEO Tim Cook as an extremely important growth market for Apple.

The launch of the iBookstore in Brazil may position Apple ahead of Amazon in the country.
As the journalist Jardim points out, this news means that Apple could leapfrog Amazon on the e-bookstore front. While the retail company has been negotiating publishing rights with Brazilian publishers for the last few months, rumor has it that the discussions have stalled, and Amazon hasn't yet confirmed when it will start beefing up its local catalogue.
In addition to being a major growth market for Apple, Brazil is also one of the only countries outside China where Apple products are actually made. Earlier this year, the Brazilian government signed off on tax incentives that enable Foxconn and Apple to build iPhones and iPads in the country.

Article Link: Apple's iBookstore Coming to Brazil in April?

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
This is awesome news. I have been dying to read the Alchemist in portuguese, and now maybe I will get that chance.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Excellent news

Brazil is one of the major publishing markets of the world, not to mention an extremely vibrant economy in all senses; therefore, it would be great for Apple to score a major e-book push there against Amazon.

Besides, books in Brazil suffer no taxation at all (a constitutional principle to maximize reading among the population), thereby leading to a fairly uniform price even when digital publications come from abroad.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
rome
thank god! literally 10 people yesterday asked me when would ibookstore finally reach brazil:confused:

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
This is awesome news. I have been dying to read the Alchemist in portuguese, and now maybe I will get that chance.
I'm not sure what prevented you from reading the book before. It's widely available in Brazilian bookstores and even electronic versions online.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I'm not sure what prevented you from reading the book before. It's widely available in Brazilian bookstores and even electronic versions online.

Mainly, I have not gotten it yet because of lack of spare time. BTW no brazilian bookstores where I am.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Wirelessly posted

How is this news, what a waste

Not all users of this forum are interested only in US news, you know...

----------

Mainly, I have not gotten it yet because of lack of spare time. BTW no brazilian bookstores where I am.

I really don't know why you had any difficulty in finding it - Amazon itself already offers a digital version of "O Alquimista" in portuguese for just 6 dollars:

http://www.amazon.com/O-Alquimista-...ZOOI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333473690&sr=8-3

It's Kindle-based, so you can easily read it on your iPad as well (with the free Kindle app).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.