Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dane9

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
How to reduce iPad 3 yellow tint?

I’ve made following steps:

1. Auto-Brightness OFF*and brightness set to the*MAX.

2.Auto-Lock OFF and locked onto*Portrait Mode.

3.Saved*white screen*to Photos and opened on full screen (see photo).

iPad-3-glue-warm-e1332924156633.jpg

4.iPad connected to the charger. Disconnected from time to time to let battery do its (dis)charge cycle.

5. Finally, iPad put to the drawer*for several hours and between the clothes for better warmth incubation.*My iPad was getting 41.5°C/106.7°F throughout the process.

This is the effect after 24 and 48 hours – yellow tint visibly reduced!*Pictures taken with iPhone 4 (no HDR):

iPad-3-vs-iPad-2-warm-yellow-after-48-hours-burning-prcedure-on-iknowsomething.jpg

Original link: http://iknowsomething.com/hands-on-ipad-3-vs-ipad-2-and-issues/

Last edited:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
My Goodness....I'm at a loss for words. Truly fascinating. (no joke).

Is there an explanation (and accurate one) for this?

I read that there's some kind of glue thing, but that seems unlikely. (oh yes, Elmer's Yellow glue, I know)

Reactions: truelies

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Interesting.
I would ask if the "putting it between the clothes" part is really necessary, or if it is actually just having the screen on 'full bright and white' for so long?

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Incoming messages from the "You have OCD you are wrong apple is never bad never ever ever! you just are ocd" clan in 3...2...

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I know a lot has been written on this issue, and that is interesting indeed. But the warmer color temp of the new iPad there is neither exclusive to the iPad nor a problem with all new iPads. Some iPad 2 had this issue that could not be cured over time, and some iPad 3 displays are shipping beautifully cool.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I suspect the same thing will happen under normal use over time.

The only things I'd return an iPad for are dead pixels. Those don't magically fix themselves.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I wonder if uneven tinting (cooler color temperature on one side than the other) is caused pretty much by the same thing as what makes some screens yellow all throughout. My replacement is much better than the first "new iPad" that I had, but it's still a slight issue.

I think it will be interesting to see if it goes away after a few weeks or months.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for taking such detailed pictures! It's something I didn't even think about doing until after my yellowish screen had already lightened up by Sunday night.

I never did the max brightness 100% "burn-in", but I spent most of Saturday and Sunday after launch day on the new iPad playing around on 50% brightness (my usual setting).

By Sunday night, when I compared it against 2 iPad 2's at home, it was markedly whiter than the comparison I had done on Friday and Saturday.

Excellent reporting. :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

I read that there's some kind of glue thing, but that seems unlikely. (oh yes, Elmer's Yellow glue, I know)

haha adhesive is accurate, and makes sense. my iphone 4s got better after a few weeks.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I didn't follow the procedure listed, but I saw the same basic thing. The screen got more neutral after a couple of days of usage. It's still warmer than an iPad 2 display but seems more accurate.

But I've been told by the iPad complainers that it's impossible so I must be wrong. :D

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Thank goodness most of the iPads shipped apparently have cured adhesive, if that's what it really is.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010

4.iPad connected to the charger. Disconnected from time to time to let battery do its (dis)charge cycle.

5. Finally, iPad put to the drawer*for several hours and between the clothes for better warmth incubation.*My iPad was getting 41.5°C/106.7°F throughout the process.

This is the effect after 24 and 48 hours – yellow tint visibly reduced!*Pictures taken with iPhone 4 (no HDR):

Can I put it under the sun? Will that help?

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Dumb question - but any chance this will resolve the pink hue that many of us are stuck with? My entire iPad display has a noticeable pink tint.....

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Dumb question - but any chance this will resolve the pink hue that many of us are stuck with? My entire iPad display has a noticeable pink tint.....

Is it pink under different lighting conditions? I was using my iPad in the car the other day and noticed a definite pink hue but when I came bak inside it was back to normal.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

The extra glue over applied in the manufacturing process will set under heating conditions....Thus the improvement in the OP's screen.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Great read, but you know even with this effort. There are those that will still find that screen too yellow. This is part of the problem and until Apple start saying no to these folks, this stuff will continue.

A buddy of mine had a yellow tint to his that he got on release day and now his looks great. They mass produce these things and get them out the door so quickly and into the hands of consumers. Apple has explained this over and over, yet it falls on deaf ears.

It's like one person in this thread posted that because its easier just to bring it back rather than trying to work with it. I paid $500 plus dollars I am not doing that.

Dane9

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Yeah I know , the best solution is return no doubt

This thread is a simply solution

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010

Any update?

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Thanks for posting. I ended up with a half yellow screen iPad. Trying this since none of the local stores have any in stock for an exchange. :eek:

interfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Good post, but your measure of time is shocking...

The second set of photos were taken 21 hours after the first set, and the third set were taken 38 hours after the first, not 48 hours.

Oh and the time is out between both devices by 4 minutes :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.