Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulbaker99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I am going to get the new ipad in a few days. I definitely want a warrantee. I am getting this at best buy because its alot closer than the apple store. Is best buys two year protection plan as good as apple care plus ?

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
I am going to get the new ipad in a few days. I definitely want a warrantee. I am getting this at best buy because its alot closer than the apple store. Is best buys two year protection plan as good as apple care plus ?

No. If you lose the receipt or get a replacement from apple and loose the genius bar receipt indicating the change of serial number they won't help you. They also will try to find any excuse to deny your claim.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
No. If you lose the receipt or get a replacement from apple and loose the genius bar receipt indicating the change of serial number they won't help you. They also will try to find any excuse to deny your claim.
Agree and it's likely Best Buy will take your iPad and have it sent off to be fixed which means you could be without it for several days or even weeks.

Do the AppleCare.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008

If you lose the receipt Best Buy will have a record of it, same as Apple. If you have Best Buys plan, you probably are not going to be going to the Genius Bar for a replacement anyway. Maybe for a manufacturer warranty issue? Best Buy though has no deductible and replace your ipad with a new, not refurbished ipad.

And as far as them trying to find any excuse to deny your claim, I can't speak of every Best Buy store and employee of purse, but I would say overall this is just not true.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Consider getting a SquareTrade warranty. Cheaper than AppleCare+ - $89 with a $50 deductable. Includes accidental damage protection and option to have it insured a 3rd year for an additional $30. 5-day guaranteed turnaround time for either replacement or check.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Best buy and Square Trade warranty suck in comparison to Apple Care+. Yes, suck.

Essentially no reason not to get the AppleCare+ instead, unless you are prohibitively far from an Apple store. They Apple store is really good at taking care of you.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
In my mind it’s an OEM warranty vs. a 3rd party, and I’d always select the OEM, same with car warranties (original or CPO from the OEM vs. a 3rd party).

... and if you have an Apple store close by it seems like a no-brainer.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Do not get best buy warranty! Absolutely horrendous service.
I've had them try to replace my 5th gen iPad with a 2nd gen and tell me it was exactly the same model. Had a frickig fit in the store and had to get the management involved, but it was nearly a month process of getting my junk replaced. Also they like to point out that they can replace your item with a comparable item.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I was listening to a Best Buy rep pushing their iPad warranty hard on this poor lady who was having trouble understanding the explanation and the options. They were going to charge a fee to help her set up her iPad that included installing "up to 3 applications". The warranty would also provide service in case she "got a virus on the iPad". We have two Apple stores not far from that Best Buy, and I sooo wanted to pull her aside and send her to the Apple store for free personal setup and Applecare+.

Another rep came up to me and asked if I had the new iPad (I was looking at cases), and he told me that he could get me unlimited data (I suppose that he worked for some service like Clear?). He said that CNN had a story on how LTE would burn through my data allotment. I told him that I was grandfathered in to AT&T's unlimited plan. His expression said that he thought that I had no idea what I was talking about, and he said, "well, just google the CNN story and come back and we'll talk". Sheesh.

Last edited:

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Best Buy won't be around in a few years anyway. They're already closing 50 of their stores.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I vote for Applecare+

My sister had the accidental protection from Best Buy on her phone and they had her go through Motorola and she was without it for a while. She could have done that herself without their coverage.

----------

Is there a way i can get the applecare plus with out going to an apple store ?

Yes, you can do it by phone. You have 30 days from date of purchase.

bubbaguuump

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Do not get best buy warranty! Absolutely horrendous service.
I've had them try to replace my 5th gen iPad with a 2nd gen and tell me it was exactly the same model. Had a frickig fit in the store and had to get the management involved, but it was nearly a month process of getting my junk replaced. Also they like to point out that they can replace your item with a comparable item.

OMG are you from the future??! :)

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
Dang I just noticed that I havent buy anything from bestbuy these days. Last purchase was probably starcraft2 on launch day. and before that was like 10 years ago with a laptop and extended warranty. from my experience ten years ago, it was horrible. I mean really. They hire some random honest looking people to work there without any knowledge. Nowadays I only go to bestbuy when I feel depressed or bored. its fun to troll employees at bestbuy by asking so many questions. and they have no idea what Im talking about. yes im a computer engineer

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Stay the frack away from best buy. I had a MacBook Pro replaced for them under accidental warranty I paid for. I explained how it was dropped by my mom during use. They tried to deny it multiple times until I printed their past (when I bought warranty) and present terms and conditions stating word for word what was covered.

I wrote a multiple page summery of what happened and how it should be covered and quoted multiple sources from their own forums and pamphlets. I had a couple thousand dollar device riding on it so I spared no time in doing it right.

Only after that did they magically change their mind. For accidental, never go with best buy. It was so bad the non management employees that helped me with the situation joke if I want to buy their warranty when buying big ticket items.

We just laugh and I go on with my day.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
If you lose the receipt Best Buy will have a record of it, same as Apple. If you have Best Buys plan, you probably are not going to be going to the Genius Bar for a replacement anyway. Maybe for a manufacturer warranty issue? Best Buy though has no deductible and replace your ipad with a new, not refurbished ipad.

And as far as them trying to find any excuse to deny your claim, I can't speak of every Best Buy store and employee of purse, but I would say overall this is just not true.

From everybody that i talk to that had to deal with best buy, they had horrible experience, on the other hand everybody that I've talk to and her and personally at least 5 warranty replacements over the years apple been amazing, and that's the reason i will only suggest apple warranty.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If I had to rank them

1. Applecare+
2. SquareTrade
3. Nothing comes close to the top two
4. Bestbuy.

trosa24

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
I'd rather get punched in the throat than to ever get best buys warranty service. They operate right out of satans *******.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

Yeah, never had good customer service at Best Buy, but the reason I don't just avoid shopping there but refuse to give them a dime of my money is over an extended warranty and how they treated me.

They will try anything to deny your claim.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'd rather get punched in the throat than to ever get best buys warranty service. They operate right out of satans *******.

Yeah, seriously. At the end of it I wished I hadn't bought the warranty. I would have rathered just bought a new VCR (yes, it was that long ago and I am one of the customers who meant it when I ranted at them I'm never shopping here again) then go through the crap they put me through. If it hadn't been the principle of the matter at that point, I would have. But at that point I felt I paid 40 bux for it, I was going to make them honor it (and then never shop there again). Even working retail and on a budget, the savings wasn't worth the hassle.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

Never Best Buy. Never.

AppleCare+ is the result of 3rd Party Warranties (other than Square Trade), being so terrible that even Apple started getting complaints from customers. I can't tell you the number of people who yelled at me about their Best Buy, Asurion, etc coverage.

This is how I see them:
If you see the value of Apple's technical support get AppleCare+.
If you'd rather have loss/theft coverage get SquareTrade.

trosa24

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Another thing to keep in mind is that best buy uses a 3rd party company for their extended warranties. Hence them always having to "send it out" first before you get any type of service or replacement. The item can clearly need to be replaced and they still have to send it out and make you wait days if not weeks.

I used to work for those dirt bags, I would know. Terrible service.

I worked in best buy mobile and would never recommended their insurance, I told customers to go with the carriers insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.