Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirko.meschini

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Italy
I don't know why people are expecting an A6 quad-core processor on the new iPhone. They never done two sequential major processor update on the iPhone:

2G = 3G < 3GS = 4 < 4s = 5

They will put in a low power A5, maybe at 1GHz instead of 800MHz, thats a minor update like 3Gs->4, where they go from 667MHz to 800MHz with the exact same processor and gpu.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I don't believe there will be a new iPhone this year. iPhone 4s is already so far ahead of the competition Apple doesn't need to rush a new product to market. iPhone 5 will be a truly revolutionary device when it launches in 2013 of course.

bayportbob

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
somewhere under the rainbow.
it would make no sense to release a new iPhone before it has been on the market for at least a year before releasing it. i would also think that apple will make sure that there is a good supply of phones in the pipeline before the next release also, just like the new iPad. apple is a big company now and does not need product shortages that are two months in length as they were in the past. real companies worth a half trillion bucks don't do that kinda stuff.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Its simple, if a iOS 6 beta gets released sometime this month to the public, then the next gen iPhone could be expected at WWDC.

If iOS 6 is released at WWDC or around that time, then expect the fall release.

Apple not Foxconn will signal when the next iPhone will launch.

Very true. Apple needs 2-4 months for beta testing new major iOS versions. That's why in previous years, Apple announced the new iOS in March or April for a iPhone and iOS release in June or July. But last year, Apple announced iOS 5 at WWDC in June, and released the 4S and iOS 5 in October, which was four months later.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I think there could be a shred of truth to the hiring rumor, but I have some doubts that a new model is coming in June. Perhaps they're hiring to ramp up production in June, for a fall product release. Whatever is happening, my guess is that the details are lost in translation from Chinese -> Japanese -> English.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
How can the iPhone 5 "launch in June" when no major changes (in design or hardware-wise) have been leaked yet?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing much of a leak of iPhone 4 parts until our friend left his iPhone 4 prototype in the bar. It seemed like they were pretty tight about the 4.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
I don't know why people are expecting an A6 quad-core processor on the new iPhone. They never done two sequential major processor update on the iPhone:

They will put in a low power A5, maybe at 1GHz instead of 800MHz, thats a minor update like 3Gs->4, where they go from 667MHz to 800MHz with the exact same processor and gpu.

probably right. The current hardware is proving to be pretty solid. At this point Apple needs to bring iOS up to current standards. Hopefully iOS 6 has some major upgrades, I love my iDevices but iOS feels like its stuck in 2007

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't believe there will be a new iPhone this year. iPhone 4s is already so far ahead of the competition Apple doesn't need to rush a new product to market. iPhone 5 will be a truly revolutionary device when it launches in 2013 of course.

Apple will NEVER go an entire year without releasing a new iPhone. It is their flagship device. It would be suicide if they did.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
It makes sense that they would ramp up production for a late september or october release in the early summer. A three month lead on production means they will stockpile millions of handsets.

I, for one, will be buying two iPhone 5's when they come out. My upgrade cycle is to skip every other model and just wait for the subsidy to kick in. For me, I want at least 64Gb of storage– I can literally never have enough. I am also really looking forward to Siri, which I can't use on my iPhone 4. And also super excited about the potential for new iOS software features.

EDIT: Also will want a better design. I highly prefer the tapered / smooth back design of the 3G and 3GS to the iPhone 4 / 4S. The latter is harder to handle and easier to drop, IMHO.

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
There IS that strange processor floating around in logs. Wasn't it A6 or something? There you go.

I'm curious what they can do to the iPhone to make it more than it is in such a way that people NEED it. NEED IT NOW! The iPhone is already fairly incredible.

Maybe SIRI can answer the phone for me and do mindless small talk forever with the callers clinging to phone conversation to save them from thinking for once.

TimoT

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
FYI to all the dreamers of a June iPhone release...

Apple releases a new iOS beta at least 2.5 months prior to a new iPhone release (last year's was 4 months). So once Apple has an event to showcase the iOS 6 beta, we can start a countdown. Either way, if we don't see an event by the next couple weeks - you could bet Apple won't release anything in June.

Also, Apple's gone back to its roots with WWDC (a June event) being a software event. Then releasing iPhone's in Fall to be ready for the Holiday season. AKA like when Apple did software in June, then iPods in Fall (circa 2003-2007).
How about an iPhone 5 (or whatever it's called) launch in June, still runs iOS5, with an upgrade to iOS6 in some months later?:p

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
as usual apple will stick to its, less is more, tradition and push out crappy updates..
although i've been a iphone user from the 1st gen,,,im starting to see myself moving onto some other device. As nice and easy the iphone is to use, it just doesnt seem to stay ahead of everyone else as far as technical aspects go.
same screen size, same display technology, less features, missing bluetooth profiles, IOS upgrades just to put a camera access button on the lock screen, i mean come on...

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I have been an Apple-head since before it was cool. I have owned practicaly every Apple product made. But this will be my FIRST iphone. Can't wait. Looking forward to the bigger screen and LTE. Heh heh heh

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
IOS upgrades just to put a camera access button on the lock screen, i mean come on...
At least the iPhone gets upgraded! Look at all of the Android handsets out there still running Gingerbread, when Ice Cream Sandwhich has been out since last fall!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
iPhone in October, this ramp up is for a 7.85" iPad. It will have the same specs as the iPad 2, but smaller, and the battery will be the same tech (energy density) as the new iPad battery delivering roughly the same 10 hours of battery life (8-9 at any rate). I predict a single wifi only 16gb model at $299-349, but wouldn't be surprised if they do an 8/16 option at $249/349 either.

I think they've been planning this and it's the reason the iPod touch didn't see any updates last year (delineates the specs between the product lines and price levels). The iPad 2 was kept around as a place holder for a lower priced option while the battery and screen production was ramped up.

I am also going to guess that the iPad will be kept around as new for a little longer, until stock is run out, then quietly removed from the non-refurn store.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted

mirko.meschini said:

Wow. A 1ghz processor? That will really put them ahead of the game.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I think it will be called iPhone 6.
It has been reported that they are making a slight name change to "persuade" everyone with an iPhone to upgrade.

The new name will be miPhone.

This will make it easily identifiable to differentiate the new iPhone & an old legacy iPhone.

Screen/phone form factor is staying the same.
Feature/performance upgrades. Enough to make droves of current iPhone owners to upgrade.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Apple will NEVER go an entire year without releasing a new iPhone. It is their flagship device. It would be suicide if they did.

You mean they wouldn't go two years? They go a year between releases... every year. They went 16 months last time.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Almost can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'll restrain myself and wait for the next iteration.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted

bawbac said:
I think it will be called iPhone 6.
It has been reported that they are making a slight name change to "persuade" everyone with an iPhone to upgrade.

The new name will be miPhone.

This will make it easily identifiable to differentiate the new iPhone & an old legacy iPhone.

Screen/phone form factor is staying the same.
Feature/performance upgrades. Enough to make droves of current iPhone owners to upgrade.

Where is the sarcasm tag????

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
iPhone 5 will be announced/released on June 29, 2012 on the 5 year anniversary of the original iPhone release. Remember this post on June 29th. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.