Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
For me the Android experience is 2nd rate & lower class due to the following:

1. Premium feel

Samsung galaxy s ii owners might deny it to try and make themselves feel better but the fact of the matter is that th iPhone has a premium feel to its build, whereas Android phones usually feel like cheap toys.

2. Fragmentation

The iPhone doesn't have this problem. Most anyone with a device in the last 3 years can get an update the very day it comes out. You don't have to wait around like a helpless child hoping your carrier doesn't hold things up further.

Look at Ice Cream Sandwich. It's been out what 5 months already? and only a single device has had it (Galaxy Nexus)

3. Resale value

Android phones have terrible resale value when compared to the iPhone. This is because of the fragmentation issue which makes it so that you have hundreds of different Android phones and only a few people out there that want your particular model (if it's not already outdated, which it probably will be).

With the iPhone there's only a particular model for that year, so the amount of buyers you have is huge compared to a particular android model that will be replaced in a few months.

Look no further than Droid Razr owners to see just how little Android manufacturers care about you. They come out with a particular model... then... a few months later come out with a better version (Droid Razr Maxx) making your purchase obsolete and killing any demand or resale value you had.

4. Pure experience

Apple doesn't let manufacturers put bloat ware on its iPhone. With Android you always have some terrible skin on it (be it sense, touchwiz, etc) that not only slows down the phone, but also makes it impossible for you to get new Android updates anywhere close to on time. It literally takes the manufacturers MONTHS and MONTHS to get their ugly skin with tons of bloatware integrated into the new update and by the time you finally get it your phone is already outdated.

5. Battery life

Battery life on 99% of Android phones is 2nd rate compared to the iPhone. Not much more needs to be said besides this.

There are too many things to go over with just one post so I'll finish this list at a later time, in the meantime... What are the reasons that you feel Android is a lower class experience compare to the iPhone? What made you chose the iPhone over it?

Btw I dont care to hear about excuses for the many problems with Android... So don't bother I won't respond ;) I only want to know from iPhone owners and their insight as to why they chose the iPhone over Android.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
To the OP: you helped to discredit yourself by stating many inaccuracies. If you had stated opinions, I would have enjoyed to debate with you.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I came from droid X to iPhone 4s. I came to iPhone 4s because that's what I always wanted all along. It finally became available in verizon and my contract time was up.

However, I do see that not everything is dandy in iPhone land. I realize that there is no perfect phone.

I do want to give another chance on iPhone 5(yup, plan to upgrade this year).
I do want to see bigger screen.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I realize that there is no perfect phone.

This. You can always tell who has truly given both platforms a chance.

This is and will always be the smartest and most honest position to take regarding the whole android (specifically ice cream sandwich) vs iOS. The more you use both the more you realize just how similar they are. The few things one does better over the other are growing narrower and narrower. Both are plagued with similar problems. my iPhone froze on the lock screen the other day and I stared at it dumbfounded. The iPhone freezes? I thought this was only an android feature.

It turns out they are not that different.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted

The day Google begins selling their own branded hardware with a guarantee of first day updates and unmodified roms, I will buy even if as a backup.

You really can't beat the closed development system that Apple employs. I can't find an android manufacturer that provides that peace of mind. Even now ive been eligible for upgrade for a while, and considered the galaxy note as a second phone to my 4. But there is the completely reasonable feeling that I wont get updates at all past 1 year, and that an improved model is only months away. I know Apple arbitrarily restricts updates to fixed dates, but it provides a nice peace of mind and clearly it's a successful strategy.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm not so concerned about updates so long as it works but I do wait for to purchase a product at its release date. For instance, I hesitate with a phone purchase if the phone has been our more than a two to three months and will usually wait for the next model as the release cycle is so quick. Same go's with macbooks....I won't purchase one if we are 4-6 months away from a new release.

Wirelessly posted

The day Google begins selling their own branded hardware with a guarantee of first day updates and unmodified roms, I will buy even if as a backup.

You really can't beat the closed development system that Apple employs. I can't find an android manufacturer that provides that peace of mind. Even now ive been eligible for upgrade for a while, and considered the galaxy note as a second phone to my 4. But there is the completely reasonable feeling that I wont get updates at all past 1 year, and that an improved model is only months away. I know Apple arbitrarily restricts updates to fixed dates, but it provides a nice peace of mind and clearly it's a successful strategy.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Ill give you this the stupid skins annoy me why we aren't allowed to turn them off is beyond infuriating.Android will never please me unless its a nexus device,but thats just me.Though WP7 looks pretty neat to me.Everyone is entitled to their opinions.I love my iPhone doesn't mean any of my friends will(Some do,some dont)

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Well I wouldn't say Android is "inferior" but its certainly not as polished. There are some things I actually like better with the Android platform, multitasking being one of them. Rather than pause state resume as iOS does, Android lets you truly multitask. You can be downloading 10 apps while browsing the web or doing something else, I like that. I also like that navigation is built in to Google Maps so while searching something in Google, you can just tap directions and go. You don't have to mess with 3rd party apps. I also prefer Android's smart dialer and how it deals with contacts much better than the iPhone. Having said that, I prefer just about everything else in iOS :) I wouldn't say one is truly better than the other, depends on your preferences. iOS is for sure more polished, less cluttered and far more stable.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
You couldn't have been further from the truth. Stop drinking the koolaid and smell the coffee! The world doesn't revolve around iOS or Apple! A true tech enthusiast is never a fanboy, keeps an open mind, adapts to new and emerging tech, and most of all, gives credit where it's due!

Having said that, here is my rebuttal to your points.

For me the Android experience is 2nd rate & lower class due to the following:

1. Premium feel

Samsung galaxy s ii owners might deny it to try and make themselves feel better but the fact of the matter is that th iPhone has a premium feel to its build, whereas Android phones usually feel like cheap toys.

While I agree the Samsung *feels* cheap, let me assure you it is anything but! Also, the Nexus S [ made by Samsung ] doesn't feel cheap at all.

If you have been with the iPhone since it's inception, you would've seen quality issues with iPhone 3GS, iP4 and iP4S too.

2. Fragmentation

The iPhone doesn't have this problem. Most anyone with a device in the last 3 years can get an update the very day it comes out. You don't have to wait around like a helpless child hoping your carrier doesn't hold things up further.

Look at Ice Cream Sandwich. It's been out what 5 months already? and only a single device has had it (Galaxy Nexus)

You answered your own question here! The Galaxy Nexus is to Android what iPhone is to Apple. Both get their updates right away with no *middleman* approvals or customizations needed!

Also, normally newer versions of Android OS get rooted within a matter of days [ if not hours, unlike Jailbreak for iOS which can take ...ages!! ]. So, anyone desperate enough for an upgrade can always root their device and slap the newer FW on it!

3. Resale value

Android phones have terrible resale value when compared to the iPhone. This is because of the fragmentation issue which makes it so that you have hundreds of different Android phones and only a few people out there that want your particular model (if it's not already outdated, which it probably will be).

With the iPhone there's only a particular model for that year, so the amount of buyers you have is huge compared to a particular android model that will be replaced in a few months.

Look no further than Droid Razr owners to see just how little Android manufacturers care about you. They come out with a particular model... then... a few months later come out with a better version (Droid Razr Maxx) making your purchase obsolete and killing any demand or resale value you had.

It's a phone, not real estate! Buying a phone based on it's resale value is about as smart as buying a car for investment [ exotics excluded ]!

4. Pure experience

Apple doesn't let manufacturers put bloat ware on its iPhone. With Android you always have some terrible skin on it (be it sense, touchwiz, etc) that not only slows down the phone, but also makes it impossible for you to get new Android updates anywhere close to on time. It literally takes the manufacturers MONTHS and MONTHS to get their ugly skin with tons of bloatware integrated into the new update and by the time you finally get it your phone is already outdated.

Bloatware ?. HTC's sense isn't bloatware, neither is the new Motoblur or Samsung's Touch Wiz Skin. Having owned the HTC EVO, HTC EVO 3D, Motorola Photon, Samsung Galaxy S2, and Motorola Razr Maxx, I have not yet felt any *slow downs* because of the skin.

As a matter of fact, the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Moto Razr Maxx feel snappier than the iPhone 4S!

Also, want a vanilla Android experience ? Root and flash away to your heart's content!!

As for being outdated. I'm sorry to inform you, but Android is way ahead of iOS in terms of tech! iPhone doesn't even truly multitask yet! iPhone users cannot talk about Android being outdated from any angle!

5. Battery life

Battery life on 99% of Android phones is 2nd rate compared to the iPhone. Not much more needs to be said besides this.

Go play with the Motorola Razr Maxx. HTC EVO 4G and 3D also have decent battery life, as does the Samsung GS2. Also, comparing 4G and 4"+ screens to a 3G only and 3.5" watered-down-multitasking-iphone isn't the best example! Enough said.

There are too many things to go over with just one post so I'll finish this list at a later time, in the meantime... What are the reasons that you feel Android is a lower class experience compare to the iPhone? What made you chose the iPhone over it?

I'd like to read that remaining list which will further highlight your ignorance!.. Do post!

Btw I dont care to hear about excuses for the many problems with Android... So don't bother I won't respond ;) I only want to know from iPhone owners and their insight as to why they chose the iPhone over Android.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
You couldn't have been further from the truth. Stop drinking the koolaid and smell the coffee! The world doesn't revolve around iOS or Apple! A true tech enthusiast is never a fanboy, keeps an open mind, adapts to new and emerging tech, and most of all, gives credit where it's due!

Having said that, here is my rebuttal to your points.

Rooting an Android phone is ALOT more difficult then jailbreaking an iPhone its not for the faint of heart thats why alot of people don't do it.Its a shame

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I didn't take the time to read, but OP, what's the point of your thread other than trolling for a fight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Maybe because
Android=OS
iPhone=Phone

At least compare 2 of the same thing, comparing iPhone hardware to "Android" hardware is ridiculous, it's like comparing a Z4 to honda civics.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Android phone and Apple phones are different.

Each does some good and some bad!

If Apple gave me a internal file system for my phone and Pad, it would help a lot.

I use and enjoy both!

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I've used both operating systems for 2+ years, each. I miss the HTC Sense overlay. It's definitely not "bloatware".

One of the reasons battery life can appear to be worse on Android phones is because of the updating widgets - depending on how many you're using.

Both operating systems have advantages and flaws. For one, I greatly miss the Google Navigation.

Overall, I like the simplicity of the iPhone. It seems much smoother, transitions are quicker, and there are less app issues. This, however, is subjective and depends on which Android phone you're using (since specs are all different).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Rooting an Android phone is ALOT more difficult then jailbreaking an iPhone its not for the faint of heart thats why alot of people don't do it.Its a shame

lol, spoken like someone who does not really understand how easy it is to root. Rooting a lot of the stuff is easier and quicker than jailbreaking. Now 2.3.6 made it quite a bit more difficult but even then was easy.

Rooting for most of the time just takes downloading a zip file, unzipping it and then run the script in there and boom you are rooted. Worse case is you have to put your phone into fastboot mode. It runs the respective linux commands in the script to do everything.

You also have the 1 click roots which are great. Gingerbreak was the easiest but they closed that rather large security hole.

Rooting tends to come faster and is easier than jailbreaking.

But then again you do not need to root your device to do a lot of the things. Jailbreaking the iPhone is required to get access to a lot of things a Android phone can do stock.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
lol, spoken like someone who does not really understand how easy it is to root. Rooting a lot of the stuff is easier and quicker than jailbreaking. Now 2.3.6 made it quite a bit more difficult but even then was easy.

Rooting for most of the time just takes downloading a zip file, unzipping it and then run the script in there and boom you are rooted. Worse case is you have to put your phone into fastboot mode. It runs the respective linux commands in the script to do everything.

You also have the 1 click roots which are great. Gingerbreak was the easiest but they closed that rather large security hole.

But then again you do not need to root your device to do a lot of the things. Jailbreaking the iPhone is required to get access to a lot of things a Android phone can do stock.

Alot of confusion here about rooting and switching roms.
This is different from phone to phone, some phones are super easy to root, some are a real pain.

Given that you have root, it doesnt mean that there is a working rom with the new version of android. Most custom roms out there has annoying bugs, specially if it's ICS/4.0.

On the other hand, as you say, most of the things that require jailbreak does not require root on an android phone.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
1. Premium feel

After Samsung Galaxy SII, iPhone 4(s) feels like a brick. Literally. Smartphone is a mobile device, the lighter it is the better (to a degree but we are nowhere near the point where the phone would be too light). One can easily obtain that "premium" iPhone feel with SGSII by gluing a couple of metal nuts to it. Obviously this has nothing to do with "premium". Not to mention the fact that the extra weight comes because of the glass back which is a stupid design decision on Apple's part and represents anything but a premium factor.

AndroidTriumph

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
2. Fragmentation

Fragmentation is a dirty word for CHOICE! A lot of iOS users want a different flavor and are forced to jump to anoter OS.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY

Again.I know how to root and obviously so do you.That doesn't mean everyone does were in a very small minority.Most people don't know half of the terms you just said.The everyday consumer has certain expectations of a device.Sure I can always root it but the everyday consumer has no idea even what that means.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I have my reasons for why I like my iPhone better than the only two Android phones I've ever owned (Hero, Epic 4G). Until I get day-to-day experience with an device with ICS, then my opinion is completely biased. Someone willing to donate me a Note or Nexus? ;)

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Fragmentation is a dirty word for CHOICE! A lot of iOS users want a different flavor and are forced to jump to anoter OS.

No. Its a serious problem Google needs to address. This article sums it up real nicely.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/23/2651347/a-good-smartphone-comes-but-once-a-year

You alienate your best customers. Over and over and over again. How do you think Sensation 4G customers felt when their phones were bested less than four months later? Mobile is the one and only durable goods industry I'm aware of where a gnat-like product life cycle is considered "normal." From the consumer's perspective, there's no great reason why it should be — top-tier phones are $200 to $300 upfront these days, and the financial commitment around that device can add up to $3,000 or more. This doesn't happen in home theater, it doesn't happen in gaming, and if you don't include component spec bumps, it doesn't happen in the PC business.

You induce paralysis at the register. After a few cycles of this madness, consumers catch on that they're stuck in a zero-sum game. They're always asking themselves (and us) what's around the corner. You deny them the comfort and the reassurance of knowing that their device will be "the best" in its class, if only for a while.

You make it more difficult on yourself to keep devices updated in a timely fashion. This one's just simple math: more SKUs means more firmwares, and more versions of those firmwares. Each of those versions needs the care and feeding of an engineering team, and there are only so many engineers to go around. If a particular model is unpopular — which is more likely when you're releasing a countless array of them — long-term support becomes an even greater risk. Think of the HTC Aria versus the wildly successful HTC EVO 4G, both released around the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I think android is worst for a few reasons.

1. they have better hardware, better sharper screens, larger screens, faster processors and more connectivity options.

2. They have more customization options, why when everyone looks and is the exact same would a company give you options. Sheesh

3. Better pricing; They should charge way more for their products just like apple.

4. You can unlock them from the network, again why give people options?

For those reasons and more I think apple is better. Smaller worst screen, worst connectivity, closed eco system, no customization options. That is more like it.:apple:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.