Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rory.reilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
its a rough draft for a fictitious company logo, post your critique below

Attachments

• Evergreen.jpg
    Evergreen.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 130

YESimBLUNTED

macrumors member
It is a decent start although I am pretty sure the concept has been done before. I think you could push it more to help it stand out and be a logo that is rememberable, meaning when you see it you know what company that logo is for (without the type underneath). Good start... just keep pushing it. :D

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
It reminds of some logos I have seen before, like this one. I would echo the previous comment that it's a good start and to keep iterating.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I know you're going back to the drawing board since you found out about a very similar logo (Middlebury Actors Workshop ) -- But if you're going to keep the name "EVERGREEN media solutions" aspect, IMHO, your trees or main logo art should have a hint at both trees AND the technical aspect of the company in some way. Even if it's very subtle.

"Media Solutions" could a be a lot of different things. A google search brings up Printing, Video, Magazine subscriptions and a lot of other things. So, decide what type you're meaning and try somehow to do both EVERGREEN and, as I said, what the company actually does in a subtle way.

Now, I'm not saying this is your solution, but I think it gets the point across that I'm making in showing the potential customer what EVERGREEN does. In this case, a printing company...

800x600.jpeg

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I know you're going back to the drawing board since you found out about a very similar logo (Middlebury Actors Workshop ) -- But if you're going to keep the name "EVERGREEN media solutions" aspect, IMHO, your trees or main logo art should have a hint at both trees AND the technical aspect of the company in some way. Even if it's very subtle.

"Media Solutions" could a be a lot of different things. A google search brings up Printing, Video, Magazine subscriptions and a lot of other things. So, decide what type you're meaning and try somehow to do both EVERGREEN and, as I said, what the company actually does in a subtle way.

Now, I'm not saying this is your solution, but I think it gets the point across that I'm making in showing the potential customer what EVERGREEN does. In this case, a printing company...

A successful logo need not display what the company does.

A few examples: Target, Apple, Prudential, Chase, Amazon.com, UPS, FedEx...

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
A successful logo need not display what the company does.

A few examples: Target, Apple, Prudential, Chase, Amazon.com, UPS, FedEx...
I suppose if a company is a household name, no it doesn't. However, there are plenty of logos out there (large companies) that do suggest what they do. If he's mocking up a logo to put in a book, perhaps it would be better to have subtle suggesting graphics so that he doesn't have to explain it every time some looks at his book.

The image that I included (TO HELP THIS PERSON) didn't include a printing press or show some guy running paper through a Xerox machine: it simply had a nod to printing (the CMYK colors).

You're comment wasn't very helpful and was a bit elitist -- I would truly love to see your own personal website and all of the design that you do. Link please.

940x940.jpeg

Last edited:

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I suppose if a company is a household name, no it doesn't. However, there are plenty of logos out there (large companies) that do suggest what they do. If he's mocking up a logo to put in a book, perhaps it would be better to have subtle suggesting graphics so that he doesn't have to explain it every time some looks at his book.

The image that I included (TO HELP THIS PERSON) didn't include a printing press or show some guy running paper through a Xerox machine: it simply had a nod to printing (the CMYK colors).

You're comment wasn't very helpful and was more than a bit elitist -- I would truly love to see your own personal website and all of the design that you do. Link please.

I wasn't saying that it can't show what the company does. I was just saying that it doesn't need to, to be a successful logo.

I was not trying to mislead the OP either, or to offend you. I apologize if I have. I was merely passing on good advice that was given to me some time ago.

Also, just to point out the Coca Cola logo is often used just as the logotype and YouTube doesn't exactly tell what they do by the rounded square in the logo. Walt Disney's castle is debatable as well.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

+1

Initially I thought it may have been a "green printer"... But very good point you raised regarding getting the point of the business/brand across, elevator pitch IMHO.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I think basically what it comes down to is that you need to write a short creative brief and decide what the fictitious company does before completing the design of the logo. It will help direct you with the design.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
There are lots of companies out there with abstract logos, as others have mentioned, some are successful and some aren't. More than a logo needing to represent or not represent what a company or group does it needs to capture the feel of the organization you're presenting.

A subtle nod to a company's function or industry can be nice but the of what a company does often gets interpreted too literally by designers. I tend to be drawn to logos that really give me the vibe of the company they're for moreso than ones that tell me what they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.