Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

robotdoggie.jpg
Our sister-site TouchArcade points out this Japanese iPhone-powered robot dog. The "dog" is an app that is installed on the iPhone or iPod Touch and then acts as the face of the virtual pet. The dog was originally reported by Japanese blog Mac Otakara.
The smart pet uses the front facing camera on the iOS device to recognize and react to certain gestures, and there will be over 100 different kinds of expressions that the pet can make. There will also be support for importing your own photos of your pets (or whoever you want, really), and there will be some sort of Bluetooth connectivity to allow multiple smart pets to interact with each other. And, perhaps most important of all, your smart pet comes equipped with the ability to sneeze. Sounds adorable.
The tamagotchi-like app launches in Japan on March 31 and the pet body will be available after that -- no details on pricing however. Neither the app nor the dog itself have been confirmed for U.S. release.

Article Link: Japanese Robot Uses iPhone as Toy Dog's Face

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
the first thing i thought when the original iPad was introduced was "put a front facing camera on this thing, and it'd be awesome as an interactive face for a robotic pet grizzly bear!"

looks like my dream may yet be on the horizon... :D

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
That was wonderfully useless. He spent 2 minutes doing what? What the hell was I watching?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Knowing Japan, next we'll be seeing 50-story-high robots powered by iPads. It's only inevitable.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Watch the video at around 0:40. The dog makes a run for the edge of the table and the guy has to grab it and pull it back.

Imagine if he hadn't caught it (or if you bought one and it did something similar and you didn't catch it): The dog runs off the table and shatters its face - your iPhone's glass front screen - on the ground.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque

Watch the video at around 0:40. The dog makes a run for the edge of the table and the guy has to grab it and pull it back.

Imagine if he hadn't caught it (or if you bought one and it did something similar and you didn't catch it): The dog runs off the table and shatters its face - your iPhone's glass front screen - on the ground.

I don't know, It looked to me like the dog stopped on its own; like it had a proximity sensor or something. I think the guy's hand was there just in case the dog fell.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
And there I was contemplating all the sensible, useful things I could do with my current iPhone when the new model is released....

I do so love the Japanese and their crazy toys. And yes, iGundams would be awesome.

:apple:

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Lol..Yeah this can only possible in the country like Japan..Nothing to say only need to observe silently that how fast this world is moving on!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.