Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
"I got in at $535"

"I got in at $12"

Well, I say poop on all of you.

I didn't get in at all.

Sure, go ahead, rub it in...I'm a jerk. :eek: :p ;)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
One thing annoys me about their prediction. It's not really based on any math in the short term. They're just hyping a stock plateau.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
"I got in at $535"

"I got in at $12"

Well, I say poop on all of you.

I didn't get in at all.

Sure, go ahead, rub it in...I'm a jerk. :eek: :p ;)

What's stopping you from getting in now?
Maybe $626 will be cheap in 5 years? haha

JoshuaBru

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa Ont Canada
Apple should send a big thing of flowers over to Waterloo and thank RIM. I'm curious as to how much of this growth is coming directly out of the ashes of RIM. Speaking from my pool of friends; 40 percent who had a BB last year have an iPhone 4S. Out of those that remain - i'd say 90% are waiting for the iPhone5 to bail - myself included.

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Be careful what you wish for ...

Hate to be a downer here, but ...

Does anyone remember Iomega's stock rise and quick crash? A hot commodity can either fail because it hits saturation or something out of the blue takes its' place. In the case of Iomega the recordable CD killed them. I fear Apple's failure will be saturation with nothing new in the wings or a way to lower pricing on their current products to such a point new markets open up.

FYI - I have Apple gear and love it, I also had Iomega gear and now use HD's and recordable DVDs for backing up.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I agree with bases loaded. Not being able to afford a stock ≠ they know nothing about the stock market and being able to afford a stock ≠ they do. Not saying that the opposite is true all the time either. It's not just not just how rich you are, it's how smart you are, too.

I think what he is trying to get at is that if someone is not in the financial position to afford a stock that runs around $1,000 per share, they are not stupid, but rather, investing in individual stocks is not a suitable investment for them. They would be better off investing in a tracking or mutual fund or other funds that are cheaper to own, but the fund itself is correlated to the desired sector and is more diversified.

As far as Apple goes, I think they are a financially solid company, but by 2014 have a market cap of $1 trillion?!?! Sounds like these analysts own Apple and want to push up the stock price before selling it off...

To understand how much this is, that's roughly the amount of GDP or value created in a country like Mexico, South Korea or almost even Australia in an entire year (heck, its 2/3 of Russia's GDP!).

What is important to look at is not the price per share so much (yes, Berkshire A shares trade at over $100,000 per share). It is important to look at market cap to understand the total value of the company. Market cap is the price per share x the total number of shares. Apple's current Market Cap is just about $586 billion, the highest of any other company currently.

The highest market cap ever recorded was Microsoft in 1999 at $619 billion...

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Is eTrade the best way to go online for someone who doesn't do a lot of trading.

I'm in it for the small gain. I'm not trying to make a living off it.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]image[/url]

over the past two days, a couple of high-profile research analysts have issued reports predicting that apple's stock will reach the $1000/share milestone within the next year or two, a move that would see that company's market capitalization push toward an unprecedented trillion-dollar market capitalization.

Yesterday, analyst brian white issued his first research note on apple in his new position with topeka capital markets. White had previously worked at ticonderoga securities, which ceased operations earlier this year. In his initiation report for topeka, white offers a 12-month price target of $1001 for apple, citing the appeal of 4g lte, booming growth in china, and an expected apple television set as drivers for the company's growth.white also points to apple's dividend and share repurchase program, with growth of that program in the future, as an additional driver for investor interest in apple's stock.

Meanwhile, piper jaffray analyst gene munster weighed in with his own report early today, and while his official 12-month price target for apple moves from $718 to $910, he believes that the stock will roll on to reach $1000 in 2014.munster estimates that half of the predicted $400 billion growth in apple's market cap will come at the expense of its competitors, while the other half will come from new money entering the tech sector.

Given apple's current share count of roughly 930 million, a $1000 price would see the company pushing toward a market capitalization of $1 trillion. As we noted last month, microsoft set the standard for highest market capitalization for a publicly-traded company back in 1999 at $604 billion. Apple is roughly $20 billion short of that number as of today, but when adjusted for inflation, microsoft's peak market cap would have corresponded to over $800 billion in today's dollars.

Article link: analysts look toward $1000 share price, $1 trillion market cap for apple

bull ****!!!!!

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Absurd

Yeah, like Apple's CEO and a bunch of directors just sold many of their shares because they don't like money that much. Obviously an ANALYST knows more about the future of the company them the super bunch of people running the company.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Well, this is one of the most useless posts I have seen here...

DUDE 1 trillion is 7 percent of US GDP, and over 1 percent of GLOBAL GDP.

Find out who this guys drug dealer is and get his number because he is selling some good stuff. Maybe you can sell it to your friends and make some cash of the trade.

This is a parabolic bubble dont stand anywhere under it.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
So, the theory that the stock market is a good long bet makes decent sense...until it doesn't. Especially when one makes a bet on only one stock.

Of course one should never do that unless it's a whim/gamble. My Apple stock is only 12% of my stock holdings. It's Baidu that's going to kill me if it crashes, not Apple! :p

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
personally I say this could be yet another case that Apple needs to break up into smaller company. It pro software division should been spun off completely and I could agrue that the high end desktop/ server should be spun off as well. Apple could easily be broken into a computer division and a mobile division.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California

Find out who this guys drug dealer is and get his number because he is selling some good stuff. Maybe you can sell it to your friends and make some cash of the trade.

Yeah, but they're already over half way there. Comparing to some % of global GDP may seem unattainable but it isn't. California's economy used to be ranked 10 in the world. Big deal.

I'm thinking of putting in $20,000 in AAPL. If the stocks reach $1,000 then I've just made ~$13,000 and won't care what % of Spain's GDP that is.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Attachments

• Grumpy Lady.png
    Grumpy Lady.png
    140 KB · Views: 47

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yeah, like Apple's CEO and a bunch of directors just sold many of their shares because they don't like money that much. Obviously an ANALYST knows more about the future of the company them the super bunch of people running the company.

Another one with no idea how insiders sell their stock.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

What is with the "dude" term - what, are 15 years old or so?

There is something familiar about you and your rant - but I could not remember your name.

Then it dawned on me - I have heard of you

CHICKEN LITTLE :eek: :eek:

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Have we all lost our minds? Never mind investing in renewable energy research or cancer cures, let's dump a TRILLION dollars into making iPads. Something is wrong here.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Yeah, but they're already over half way there. Comparing to some % of global GDP may seem unattainable but it isn't. California's economy used to be ranked 10 in the world. Big deal.

I'm thinking of putting in $20,000 in AAPL. If the stocks reach $1,000 then I've just made ~$13,000 and won't care what % of Spain's GDP that is.

Listen folks if you think this is going to happen go right ahead.

This is a Massive parabolic bubble. Pump and dump to the moon.

Go ahead and trust the pumpers and then when they are the dumpers you will be the one to get dumped on.

And I will come on here and say I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

----------

What is with the "dude" term - what, are 15 years old or so?

There is something familiar about you and your rant - but I could not remember your name.

Then it dawned on me - I have heard of you

CHICKEN LITTLE :eek: :eek:

Guys this just isn't Apple. Heck people are calling the nasdaq the appldaq now. Because of the percentage of that market. When Apple goes it takes the whole thing with it.

If you dig a big enough hole in the ground and keep digging it will fall in on you. Without side wall shoring it will fall in on you very quickly and squash you like a bug.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California

Listen folks if you think this is going to happen go right ahead.

This is a Massive parabolic bubble. Pump and dump to the moon.

Go ahead and trust the pumpers and then when they are the dumpers you will be the one to get dumped on.

And I will come on here and say I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

----------

Guys this just isn't Apple. Heck people are calling the nasdaq the appldaq now. Because of the percentage of that market. When Apple goes it takes the whole thing with it.

If you dig a big enough hole in the ground and keep digging it will fall in on you. Without side wall shoring it will fall in on you very quickly and squash you like a bug.

Man, I ain't coming back here unless I got some $$$ to show - then I'll tell you!

If you just dig the walls out at a broader angle it won't' fall on you... At least that's what they did with the Panama Canal.:cool:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
The hyperbolic rhetoric of this guy rotorblade69 is beyond the pale for the EXPERIENCED and SUCCESSFUL investor.

Wonder how much actual investing he has done ??

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Man, I ain't coming back here unless I got some $$$ to show - then I'll tell you!

If you just dig the walls out at a broader angle it won't' fall on you... At least that's what they did with the Panama Canal.:cool:

Wait you think there is not shoring in the Panama Canal??? Dig out the walls at a broader angle? Nature will bend you over and show you broader angles. Better get some AstroGlide.

The opposite is true in the reverse.

The hyperbolic charts look all great and amazing until you start to sell, when you sell I guarantee you will be late to the door with the HFT's standing in the doorway. The fall will be 5 times faster than the rise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.