Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julizeda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I'm on the verge of buying my first ever iMac, and am seriously considering getting it from Amazon. The price for the entry-level version w/ the 21.5" screen appears to be slightly cheaper, plus there's no tax which, of course, is a significant savings. The specs look to be the same. I realize that the return process might be slightly more complicated if we were to get a defective machine but, at this point, I'm willing to take that risk. Any other drawbacks that I should be aware of?

There's just one issue that has me confused. The AppleCare Protection plan (which we're thinking we want) appears to be more expensive on Amazon ($164 vs $119). Does anyone know why this would be? Can I buy the computer hardware on Amazon and get the protection plan separately from elsewhere?

TIA

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
If you can wait, do so. They are due for a refresh anytime now. Yes amazon are fine to order Apple hardware from in my experience.

Applecare can always be purchased elsewhere up until day 365 of purchasing the machine.

Perhaps you're looking at Applecare protection for Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

These tend to be more expensive than iMac applecare. Anyway you have up to a year to purchase it either at Amazon or elsewhere.

Hope that helps (if you can wait do so!)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Agree with the "please wait". Although none of us has inside info, there's good indications of a refresh by mid-May.

As for buying electronics through Amazon, I've never had a problem with any of the marketplace retailers that are there. The return process is longer, but it isn't necessarily more painful. But personally, my last Macs have been purchased through MacMall (minor sale; no tax; free shipping IIRC) and at a physical Apple Store (instant gratification). Depending on how the new iMac specs look, I might be customizing my next through Apple.com.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Buying and returning stuff from Amazon is just as easy, maybe easier than a traditional brick and mortar store since you don't have to speak to anyone.

For returns, everything is done online. Go to the return link, fill out what is wrong with the iMac, then print out a pre paid shipping label. Key is to make sure something is "wrong" or else you may need to pay for return shipping ( ie iMac fan on constantly ).

As for AppleCare you can buy it anywhere as long as you're within the original one year warranty.

If you can wait there will be a new gen iMac coming soon, thus you can choose to buy the newer model or buy the previous generation for a nice discount.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
If you get a defective machine, you can actually just replace it at the Apple Store. I got a MacBook Air from Amazon that had a defective keyboard and the Apple Store just gave me a brand new unit. The only "negative" is that I had to keep my original box and accessories that came from Amazon so the serial number on the box didn't match the new MacBook Air.

julizeda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks so much, everyone. Unfortunately, our current computer is dying, which means we don't have the luxury of waiting for the new release. Just finalized the Amazon order so hopefully it all works out!

----------

Applecare for iMac is $170 but with the student discount it is $120.

Yes! That's why the price was coming up different. Thank you!!

middleagedad

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
I just bought the base 21.5 mac at the end of Feb and have no regrets. My PC also died so I couldn't wait for refresh (there will always be a newer model on the horizon). I also got apple care for $119 @ J&R.com and 8gb crucial RAM on Amazon or 39.99 (an easy diy upgrade). Good luck w/your new machine you will love it.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
if you buy from amazon you will have to pay shipping. Buy from Apple online store you get free shipping

Unless you have prime. With prime you get free 2-day shipping or for 3.99 next day or is it 4.99. Plus amazon sells is at a competitive price which makes it cheaper than buying directly from Apple. Only downside is the upgrading like if you were to buy an optional screen upgrade (MacBook)

tikitommy

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Related Amazon question

Does any one have an idea how long it will take Amazon to get a hold of a new iMac model after its release by Apple?

I'm waiting for the refresh but want to buy from Amazon for tax and shipping savings.

aComicBookFan

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
I ordered my iMac recently from Amazon. You can see my thread about it here.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1344266/

I had a good experience and I would recommend purchasing from them.

If you are located in the US then you will not pay S&H if you select standard shipping. It's slower to arrive but the savings are substantial enough for consideration. You can also skip out on local sales tax.

Like others have said here already, Amazon's return policy is very liberal in most cases.

Depending on your credit card, you may get extra points or rewards. Amazon is technically a "Bookstore" and some cards give extra incentives for buying from "Bookstores" (5% back vs 1%).

-=- Boris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.