Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hi,
Guys, I am trying to JB my atv2 (5.0) using seas0npass and this stupid atv doesn't go in dfu mode.
Please help....any tricks?

I downloaded pass from I clarified and trying to put atv in dfu mode by pressing those 2 buttons and looks like its not going in...

Please help

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I just upgraded my ATV2 to 5.1 and installed the new XBMC Eden on mine.

Here's how to put into DFU (have the power cable plugged in and the usb cable plugged in):

On the remote control hold down the down button and Menu button for like 7 seconds and let go, this will reboot the ATV

Immediately hold down the Menu and Play for like 7 seconds and it will go into DFU.

Last edited:

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I just upgraded my ATV2 to 5.1 and installed the new XBMC Eden on mine.

Here's how to put into DFU (have the power cable plugged in and the usb cable plugged in):

On the remote control hold down the down button and Menu button for like 7 seconds and let go, this will reboot the ATV

Immediately hold down the Menu and Play for like 7 seconds and it will go into DFU.

I have also just upgraded from 4.4.4 and now it's showing 5.0 (not 5.1) why?
Also I am doing as explained everywhere .
Connect USB and power cable, and then press and hold those 2 buttons for 7 secs. And release it.. That's it....
But not working out...
Whats wrong? Am I doing?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have also just upgraded from 4.4.4 and now it's showing 5.0 (not 5.1) why?
Also I am doing as explained everywhere .
Connect USB and power cable, and then press and hold those 2 buttons for 7 secs. And release it.. That's it....
But not working out...
Whats wrong? Am I doing?

That's what you are doing wrong, do not connect the power cable.

(it will show 5.0, ATV firmware numbering is always behind but in fact is the most current version)

jazzsingh

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Cant enter DFU - the USB cable is the Issue

I spent hours with this issue and have to admit : it is the CABLE that is the problem.

After trying 5 cables - the 6th one that just came with my Sony 3d glasses worked. dont ask why - all cables work as USB charging other things but not Apple TV.

here is a quick advice: if you connect apple tv to USB and it dosent show up in Itunes - you have a issue. You need to find a cable that makes it show

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If you connect the USB cable and it doesn't show in iTunes then you'll need to connect the power cable.

If it does show, you don't need the power cable.

Basically connect USB first, if aTV doesn't show up, then plug in the power cable. It should show up like it should then.
I had a hell of a time with DFU mode on my aTV2 when they first came out trying to figure that out.
Just depends on what kind of micro USB you have.

Bach2011

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I could get it into DFU mode every time. Here are my tricks:

- Connect both USB and power cables.
- Hold on Menu and Play buttons for 7 secs once it's getting into DFU, pull the power cable off. If I leave the power cable connect, it will go to Apple factory restore instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.