Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachy85

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Love it, but build quality is so so

I do love the STM skinny--I got it in mushroom. Right after I put on the case last week I noticed a lot of fraying around the edges. I don't think the stitching quality is too high.

I contacted Radtech and they are going to be sending me a replacement, so hopefully it was just this case--and not all of them!

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
I ordered a black STM Skinny for iPad 3 yesterday on Radtech's web site.
It said estimated ship date April 6th, but today I got an email saying it was shipped.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I ordered a black STM Skinny for iPad 3 yesterday on Radtech's web site.
It said estimated ship date April 6th, but today I got an email saying it was shipped.

Hmmm tempted,think I'm going to give it 2 more days and see if we finally get some over the pond.

Prez34

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Hi all

Wanted to check in with other STM skinny case folks

I just rec'd my case today from radtech. When I took the case out of the packaging I noticed that the inside of the flap has a circle cut out and then re-glued back in. On the front of the flap I can see a bump as well.

Im pretty sure that the cut circle is where the magnet is for the "smart cover".

Just wanted to see if anyone else that recently rec'd their case has the same cut out.....

I'm thinking of contacting both STM and radtech but again wanted to see if any others have the same issue

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Hi all

I just rec'd my case today from radtech. When I took the case out of the packaging I noticed that the inside of the flap has a circle cut out and then re-glued back in. On the front of the flap I can see a bump as well.

Im pretty sure that the cut circle is where the magnet is for the "smart cover".

Just wanted to see if anyone else that recently rec'd their case has the same cut out.....

I'm thinking of contacting both STM and radtech but again wanted to see if any
others have the same issue

I think I actually saw a review with the circle on the flap. Looked like surgery from a bad plastic surgeon. That must be their fix for the magnet problem. I had an order in last week but cancelled it this week. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

Prez34

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for the link. If the circle patch looked as nice as in the review I'd be ok. On my case it looks like the cut the felt partially in a semi circle added the magnet, and then glued the same felt in place. They didn't add a new felt circle to cover the cut.

I've emailed STM and radtech to see what there responses will be.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/stm-skinny-3-for-ipad-3rd-gen/

This review shows the same circular patch where they inserted a magnet to "fix" the magnet problem.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Prez - I would push for a new redesigned case. I can't even imagine how that business would think paying for a new case and then receiving a defective one butchered to add a magnet would be acceptable to a customer. I'm really glad I cancelled my order and moved on.

I guess the case makers had two options - rush to the gate with cases that hopefully hit the mark when the new iPads were released or hold off and design cases specifically for the new iPad like Boxwave and Speck. My only gripe is that the customer should never have to put up with the design team missing the mark. That really is their problem.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
The circle looks quite tatty really, I would live with it because I don't think its worth returning it for that. I wonder what the UK ones will be like though.

When I was speaking to STM it sounded like they put these magnets on and shipped them, but then wern't happy with it and started again. Can't remember exactly what was said.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Got my STM Skinny this Tuesday after missing delivery by over a week, due to the post office's "effectiveness." :rolleyes:

• Material -- I like the grippy material, it's quite nice. Mine is black with a gray velvet inside front cover. The middle of the back is also finished in the same grippy material, so you this case will not accidentally slip out of your hands, while preventing you from getting a rug burn when using it. :p
  • Flap -- Like others, I believe it's a bit obtrusive and am not totally in love with it until you put it in your travel case and you know it's very secure and won't open accidentally. I travel a lot, so that's a big plus.
  • Back cover -- Snaps in securely, much better than the Targus, which had a tendency to come loose during use. Corners are covered, but my white bezel is not. :)
  • Magnets -- Work as advertised. No accidentally turning the iPad on and off, like my Targus case, which I'm returning today.
  • Positions -- The flap securely keeps the iPad in typing and viewing position. I like the rake of the typing position a lot. The viewing position is perhaps best suited for a two-foot distance, high up.

All in all, a keeper at the price of $37 shipped. :D :cool:

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Got mine today and everything is flawless. This is the best feeling case I've ever got. I've got to give it to STM. They did a damn good job and I'm going to review it on YouTube if I can stay awake - had to work a 12 today.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333582999.357665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333582999.357665.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 166

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I do love the STM skinny--I got it in mushroom. Right after I put on the case last week I noticed a lot of fraying around the edges. I don't think the stitching quality is too high.

I contacted Radtech and they are going to be sending me a replacement, so hopefully it was just this case--and not all of them!
Ordered the same case and mine has some fraying too, but I haven't yet requested a replacement. Not sure if I will.

Hi all

I'm thinking of contacting both STM and radtech but again wanted to see if any others have the same issue
Yes. Same. I see the small circular cutout/reattachment for the magnet but don't notice any bulge on the outside of the case. In fact, didn't really notice it at all until I read your post.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I'm hoping some of the UK stores will be stocking up today!

Jordan
I just emailed Eoutlet about my order they said
Our supplier’s website says that they’ll be getting them in stock on the 30th May, so we will get them the day after.

:eek: Considering they were meant to be delivered into the country last Friday, wtf. Emailed solutions inc about when they expecting stock, also emailed the European STM guy but he's got an auto-email responce saying hes on holiday so won't be on email.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I just emailed Eoutlet about my order they said

:eek: Considering they were meant to be delivered into the country last Friday, wtf. Emailed solutions inc about when they expecting stock, also emailed the European STM guy but he's got an auto-email responce saying hes on holiday so won't be on email.

They told me the black ones would be in stock over the weekend, and the blue and berry later in the month! Your as well cancelling the order and getting it from USA... It will be quicker.
I've gone for the maroo case just because of the delivery on these.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
They told me the black ones would be in stock over the weekend, and the blue and berry later in the month! Your as well cancelling the order and getting it from USA... It will be quicker.
I've gone for the maroo case just because of the delivery on these.
Solutions inc just said 7-10 days. Would think the American ones would be like 20 days though..? And if I don't like it, can't send it back as easily :(

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Solutions inc just said 7-10 days. Would think the American ones would be like 20 days though..? And if I don't like it, can't send it back as easily :(

20 days to get something from America? Oh I hope not, I was hoping to get my parcel next week.... Maybe I'm dreaming.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
20 days to get something from America? Oh I hope not, I was hoping to get my parcel next week.... Maybe I'm dreaming.
If you pay for priority shipping, if not I would imagine 2 weeks atleast.

I've had orders arrived within 7 days of ordering from Australia though so..

Spatel90

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
This is ridiculous, i've also had to cancel my order with eoutlet. Also cancelled order for a Lexington as eta for that was 5 weeks! Seems like the only case available everywhere in the uk is the Belkin ones or snugg via amazon. Anyone got an alternative for the STM?

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
This is ridiculous, i've also had to cancel my order with eoutlet. Also cancelled order for a Lexington as eta for that was 5 weeks! Seems like the only case available everywhere in the uk is the Belkin ones or snugg via amazon. Anyone got an alternative for the STM?

I'm also having the same issue! I've ordered a maroo case thinking it will arrive quicker, but for some reason they won't express post it, even tho I've offered to pay more....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.