Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
My POP3 mail accounts still deliver my mail just as well as my IMAP ones. What is your point exactly?

Well, Sparrow mainly targets Gmail users, but also has full IMAP support.
Sparrow made a big effort from the beginning to have great Gmail integration such as the shortcuts and label support.

It strikes me as odd that you would particularly want to use Sparrow, but that you don't mind suffering through Hotmail.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Sparrow was slow for me. Especially when it came to searching, it would take many more seconds for the search results to appear vs. the regular Mail app. Also, there is always that blank profile picture if you don't have that contact's picture in your address book. Makes for an ugly app.

I stopped using it.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Agreed

I almost bought it, then I read your post and a ? popped in my head. Almost, but not quite. Will be watching it thought, because I like the look of it as well.

I quite like the look of this app, but I would miss not having rules/filters (unless this has been included in the new version)?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Well, Sparrow mainly targets Gmail users, but also has full IMAP support.
Sparrow made a big effort from the beginning to have great Gmail integration such as the shortcuts and label support.

It strikes me as odd that you would particularly want to use Sparrow, but that you don't mind suffering through Hotmail.

Nice topic jump there. You still haven't stated what is wrong with POP3 and why people are wrong to complain that an email client doesn't support it.

Cantello

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
Nice topic jump there. You still haven't stated what is wrong with POP3 and why people are wrong to complain that an email client doesn't support it.

Nothing is inherently wrong with POP3, as long as you regularly check and read email with one computer. It works well and is supported by nearly all email programmes.

As soon as you read your email with different machines, then IMAP will probably be your first choice and I guess that's what the poster meant.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I almost bought it, then I read your post and a ? popped in my head. Almost, but not quite. Will be watching it thought, because I like the look of it as well.

If you use Gmail, it takes all of your rules into account, but if you don't use Gmail, there is no built-in support.

danitaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
You still haven't stated what is wrong with POP3 and why people are wrong to complain that an email client doesn't support it.

In POP3, messages can only be manipulated at the client level. In IMAP4 the messages which get manipulated at the client level are then updated to the server. In other words, POP3 is not a synchronizing protocol.

Hotmail is an interesting situation, because it was a proprietary email system that was intended to be accessed via web only, but primarily with mobile devices, people started finding that they wanted their mail "downloaded" for offline reading. So, even originally on the iPhone, for example, the only way to access Hotmail was via POP3 (or web), whereas now you can also access Hotmail via ActiveSync (use the "Hotmail" setup). If you access Hotmail via POP3 though, you cannot see your folders, and if you create folders in a POP3 client and move items to those folders, either hotmail will leave them behind in the "inbox" and you will have to move them again, or Hotmail will delete them from the server (depending on how you have things set up). If you want to be able to manipulate and manage mail so that it is visible the same in multiple places, you need a synchronizing protocol. For most of the world right now, this is either IMAP4 or ActiveSync. IMAP4 is a long-time standard synchronizing protocol. ActiveSync is what things like Exchange, Gmail, GroupWise and even Hotmail use to synchronize email from mail servers to mobile devices.

Does that help clear it up? POP3 is "okay" if all you want is a copy of your inbox pushed to you in ONE location, but if you want to actually manage your mail so that it looks the same no matter where you access it, POP3 isn't a good solution.

Danita Zanre

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
How is Sparrow better?

Except for the DropBox hookup, it isn't really any better (the difference of interface is a matter of taste, you say tomayto, I say tomahto). Unless you are stuck with a Mac that can't be upgraded to Lion. Then, as I tried to say before, it's a lifesaver, because it's an iCloud client: once you set up an iCloud account account you can access that account from within Sparrow (same with*BusyCal for calendars, same with SOHO Organizer for contacts). So you're home free without having to resort to hacks or Terminal wizardry.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Does that help clear it up? POP3 is "okay" if all you want is a copy of your inbox pushed to you in ONE location, but if you want to actually manage your mail so that it looks the same no matter where you access it, POP3 isn't a good solution.

For the average user, POP3 is fine and there is no reason why Sparrow shouldn't support it.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
For the average user, POP3 is fine and there is no reason why Sparrow shouldn't support it.

As long as the average user is on a Power PC you're probably right. I thought the dinosaurs were extinct tho. :D:D:D:D:D

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The problem isn't that Sparrow doesn't "support Hotmail."
The problem is that Hotmail doesn't offer IMAP.
Whose fault do you think that might be.

Sparrows. Hotmail is a very popular email app; if a mail client doesn't support it then I'd say it's not the app but the client's fault. They don't have to support Hotmail, but that limits their clients usefulness for many.

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
It is indeed a great news. I am going to update my sparrow immidiately. I just love the services of sparrow!

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
How does Sparrow stack up to Postbox? I've been using Postbox for about a year and love it (can't see a big reason to change, though i do have a bug running it on Mountain Lion) Sparrow seems to have a sleeker interface but postbox may have more power features? (?)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Since this has kind of become a general mail topic: does Sparrow or Postbox support delayed delivery? It’s something I really used quite a bit in Outlook (Winders©), and while I do have MS Office on my Mac, I decided to stick with the bundled mail client vs. using Outlook again (just felt it was a little overblown for my needs).

So far, Apple’s Mail app has done everything I need really well, including organization, tagging, rules ... just that one feature I’d like. FWIW, I’ve used the automator scripts to make a send rule in iCal, and while it does work, it’s a little clunky.

Cantello

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
Since this has kind of become a general mail topic: does Sparrow or Postbox support delayed delivery?

I use Sparrow and I am pretty sure it does not support delayed delivery.

Sparrow is missing some other features as well that Postbox seems to have, but it just so much more unobtrusive with only its menu bar icon showing.

For those waiting for POP:
Sparrow Blog said:
We’ve been busy on the iPhone for quite some time but we’re back on the Mac. We’re currently working on Sparrow 1.6 for Mac. This next release will include a lot of bug fixes and improvements. The main new feature will be POP support.

Finally, you’ll be able to plug your old Hotmail or Live account in Sparrow.
Source: http://blog.sparrowmailapp.com/post/20467994892/sparrow11

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I want mail to be one solution. Regardless what device or computer I am on.
Gmail has provided this in the past, by simply allowing me to add an account to any mail client, secured imap, or access via any browser.

Sparrow is a great mail app replacement, but not yet on every device.

Sparrow does not (yet) have push, does not (yet) have landscape mode support, and does not yet make use of the iPad resolution as a universal app (and probably have to pay for it yet again).

While looks are nice, they're certainly not everything, nor the solution in my opinion.

Sorry to be so negative, and I hope Sparrow isn't going to be like Instagram where it takes 2+ years before they support another device, and probably another two before they support landscape/ipad.

[edit] - Tweeted Co-founder of Sparrow and got some positive news from him:

https://twitter.com/#!/domleca/status/187810418440404992
"@Floris Push is coming, composing in landscape too. And iPad is in the works.", @domleca

Last edited:

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Very cool. These guys keep adding nice features to their app. Maybe one day it will be robust enough and support other protocols (let alone Apple letting it be the default) for me to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.