Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sparrowlogo-1-150x150.jpg

Last month, popular OS X alternative mail client Sparrow arrived on the iPhone -- but without "push email", something considered essential for a modern email client.

The reason Sparrow lacks push is related to which notification API's Apple allows app developers to use, but the developer promises a fix in a blog post today about the new Sparrow version 1.1 update:
What's up on Push?

Thanks to your amazing support, we feel confident that Apple might revise its position on the Push API. We'll submit a first version of Sparrow 1.2 including it. This might delay Sparrow 1.2 validation but we're already working with some partners to include Push in future versions of Sparrow without needing Apple clearance.

Push is coming. With or without Apple.
Sparrow for iPhone is available for $2.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Push Email Coming to Sparrow for iPhone, Promises Developer

metallikop

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Now if they can get full Exchange support I'd have a real replacement for the default Mail client.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
How is it coming with or without Apple? Doesn't Apple still have to approve it for people to be able to download it? Or do they mean Cydia?

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm not sure what the hold up is?
Can't they just turn notifications on and route the emails through a server that would tell them when you have new messages?

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I'll probably jump on board and check this out once they add PUSH. Might inspire me to use email more than Facebook for personal communication (which I think would be better from a privacy standpoint).

I wouldn't hold my breath for Exchange support. Perhaps IMAP/POP3 support. I think with Exchange/ActiveSync support they would have to pay licensing to Microsoft.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm not sure what the hold up is?
Can't they just turn notifications on and route the emails through a server that would tell them when you have new messages?

That is a way to do it, but it requires them to receive everyone's incoming mail.

I doubt they could afford the server costs for more than a month with their current price point.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I've seen some of the features on their website, but nothing looks too far off of what the default mail app offers. To anyone who uses the Sparrow app, what makes it better than the default mail app?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've seen some of the features on their website, but nothing looks too far off of what the default mail app offers. To anyone who uses the Sparrow app, what makes it better than the default mail app?

The UI is nicer, and it just feels much faster and lighter than the stock mail app. I thought I'd miss push email, but I'm glad that the phone isn't chiming or the dock badge updating all the time.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Why is this not universal and no support for the iPad.
I'm okay with the mail app on the iPhone but would like something nicer on the iPad.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Coming in future versions:
- Send and Archive

What's New in Version 1.1
New features:
- Send & archive

- Mark all as read
One click to rule them all. You can also press a message for a few seconds to mark it as read/unread.

And many more features crafted with love to discover:
- Mark all as read

I guess proof reading is an in-app purchase option... :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its a great app. i actually prefer their iOS app to the built in mail app. to get around the push issue/notifications i left the default mail app's notifications on but use sparrow to read and write my emails. its a much better interface and i love that we know what they're working on because some of the little issues i've had with it are features they're going to add.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I've just been using Boxcar for Push. Even before when I used the default iOS app. So no biggie for me. Sparrow is just nicer. Everything about it is nicer than the plain default app. OS X version too.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Why is this not universal and no support for the iPad.
I'm okay with the mail app on the iPhone but would like something nicer on the iPad.

I think they're a pretty small operation, and between the OS X app and the iPhone app, they're probably pretty busy. I mean, we saw how long it took Facebook to do a proper iPad app, and they have far more resources. I think we'll eventually see an iPad version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.