Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mick89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi all,

Recently I've been having an issue with SMS messaging on my iPhone 4S. The progress bar along the top will fill to about 80% full, and then stop for a good minute/minute and a half. At this point the red '!' icon appears, to indicate the message has not been sent.

Tapping the '!', and then tapping 'Try Again' does nothing, and I'm instantly presented with the red '!' icon again. It happens so quickly that it appears the iPhone didn't even attempt to send the message again.

This has been happening on and off since I got my iPhone in October, but recently the problem has been getting much worse. I've never had an issue with O2 signal before. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does anyone know a way to rectify this issue?

The image below shows a screenshot of the issue:

kSnXm.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Mick89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi Shadowbech,

Thanks for your prompt response! I've restarted my device numerous times and I've also updated my iPhone to the latest software (iOS 5.1). The issue comes and goes, so I'm not sure what is causing the issue!! Just wondering had anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks,
Michael

lear45xr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Hi Shadowbech,

Thanks for your prompt response! I've restarted my device numerous times and I've also updated my iPhone to the latest software (iOS 5.1). The issue comes and goes, so I'm not sure what is causing the issue!! Just wondering had anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks,
Michael

hi i had same problem when i changed from iphone to 4s i took it to a o2 shop & got a new sim card which helped but it still done it from time to time. if you switch on airplane mode for a few seconds & switch it off again you should be able to send & recieve txts my problem has been fixed from i downloaded 5.1

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Same problem here. iPhone 4S with 5.1. Has been happening since I got my 4S so I can't say if it's iOS 5 or the 4S.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
This seemed to be happening more and more for me lately. I restored my phone today to see if that helps. It's definitely getting old.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
does it happen with everyone?

i couldn't help but notice your weak wifi reception.

if you are sending these to another iPhone with iOS 5 your iPhone will attempt to send an iMessage instead over your wifi i think.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Settings > general > reset > reset networks settings usually solves this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.