Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handsareme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I got it in the summer of 2005 and it has served me well through college.

I stupidly had it balanced, and, of course, it fell. It landed right on the plugged in power cord which bent both that tip and the receptacle on the laptop.

It won't take a charge and I don't want to put anymore money into it. It will be a challenge to get everything off to transfer it onto my new laptop before the battery dies. Hopefully I can find someone to borrow a battery from if it comes down to it.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Pull the HDD and put it into an enclosure.

Then throw in on ebay as-is. You'll be surprised that you should be able to get something around $80-100 for it, is my guess, as long as the only issues are no hard drive and a bent power input. Even if you only get $60, it's better than throwing it out.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…and a bent power input.

It's probably more than that. The sockets are rigid so when it hit the floor it probably snapped the socket straight back. That would have ripped the socket off the DC-Inverter board (or made it extremely loose).

Broken DC In board, no charging. If it goes on eBay the buyer will have to fork out about $30-50 for a new board. Provided the board stayed put there may not be any other internal damage. Maybe.

handsareme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Then throw in on ebay as-is. You'll be surprised that you should be able to get something around $80-100 for it, is my guess, as long as the only issues are no hard drive and a bent power input. Even if you only get $60, it's better than throwing it out.

I also stuffed it as full of RAM as I could. Had not thought about an enclosure. That would work so much better. Can someone link me to a good cheap one that'll fit my needs?

handsareme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
2005-2012 is one heck of a good run.

I thought so too. The AppleCare definitely paid for itself those first three years but I took great care of it. It even spent a year being lugged around Western Europe and survived.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Wirelessly posted

The hard drive in the G4 PowerBooks was not SATA, so you need to make sure you select a regular ATA100 enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006BGV2Y

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i still have my ibook g4 running :eek:
I've got six (4 PowerBook G4s (12", 15" and 2 17") an iBook G3 and one Mac IIci) still running. The youngest one is circa 2006, my oldest PB is circa 2003 (the one I am typing this on) and was declared "dead" when I bought it off eBay two years ago.

Two PowerMac G4s at work, circa 2000, both used daily, one for ad production. (I work for a newspaper) and 1 G5, circa late 2004.

2005 is too young to die for a Mac. ;)

handsareme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Now I need to take it to someone who can get a couple of stripped screws out. :(

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I stupidly had it balanced, and, of course, it fell. It landed right on the plugged in power cord which bent both that tip and the receptacle on the laptop.

That happened twice with my powerbook and luckily only the power cord plugs got bent. Though there is some bent metal around the PB socket I can still plug the PB in with a new cord.

handsareme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Damn. Which screws?

One of the longer ones on the bottom and one of the three on the right side. I found somebody who said he'll be able to get the hard drive out. Right now, all I care about is the hard drive and my 60 gb of music...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
One of the longer ones on the bottom and one of the three on the right side. I found somebody who said he'll be able to get the hard drive out. Right now, all I care about is the hard drive and my 60 gb of music...

It's entirely possible to drill the screws out without damanging the casing, but in your situation, I'd probably pry the PowerBook open and pull the HDD out. LOL

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I've got six (4 PowerBook G4s (12", 15" and 2 17") an iBook G3 and one Mac IIci) still running. The youngest one is circa 2006, my oldest PB is circa 2003 (the one I am typing this on) and was declared "dead" when I bought it off eBay two years ago.

Two PowerMac G4s at work, circa 2000, both used daily, one for ad production. (I work for a newspaper) and 1 G5, circa late 2004.

2005 is too young to die for a Mac. ;)

good luck with the old peoples home, we've just got the one old chap here!:D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
good luck with the old peoples home, we've just got the one old chap here!:D
LOL!

Dang, forgot the 7200 and the 6500 I have in the garage! I guess that makes 8! :D

That all took a number of years to get. Only in the last two years did the PowerBooks start rolling in. I only had 1 (a 15") from 2002 to 2009 and some of the older non-PowerBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.