Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
anyway to improve smoothness of the PDF reader and the picture viewer? every time I go from page to page or picture to picture I get a big jerk. and btw thanks for updating the UI, it's much easier on the eye now.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I absolutely LOVE this app but am not clear about the sync. When I 'push changes', only the docs that I made changes to on my Ipad will upload to DropBox, is that right? What happens with the 'full sync'? Will DropBox docs then over-write changes I've made on my iPad?? :confused::confused::confused:

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are there any plans to integrate SkyDrive into the app? I think Microsoft release the APIs a while back. The service does comes with 25GB of storage!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I absolutely LOVE this app but am not clear about the sync. When I 'push changes', only the docs that I made changes to on my Ipad will upload to DropBox, is that right? What happens with the 'full sync'? Will DropBox docs then over-write changes I've made on my iPad?? :confused::confused::confused:

I just synced and some of my annotations disappeared :( I think I'm the problem and not the app, but I'm not clear on what I'm doing wrong.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
I just synced and some of my annotations disappeared :( I think I'm the problem and not the app, but I'm not clear on what I'm doing wrong.

If you set up two-way sync, all your files will be synced after you annotate and press "sync" button. You might not be able to see the annotations if you are checking your files via Dropbox directly, because it won't show. You should use more sophisticated software like Adobe Reader, PDF Expert, etc.

I hope that helps.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
If you set up two-way sync, all your files will be synced after you annotate and press "sync" button. You might not be able to see the annotations if you are checking your files via Dropbox directly, because it won't show. You should use more sophisticated software like Adobe Reader, PDF Expert, etc.

I hope that helps.

Thanks. It was actually in PDF Expert that I couldn't find some of the annotations, so I was wondering if they were 'over written' by the 'clean files' in drop box...

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks. It was actually in PDF Expert that I couldn't find some of the annotations, so I was wondering if they were 'over written' by the 'clean files' in drop box...

No, they shouldn't be. Once you do annotations they are all saved in the file. if you press "sync" those annotated files are being uploaded to DropBox, so you have the same annotated file everywhere.

Let me know if you have any difficulties. I might be able to show you a video or to follow up with an email.

Thanks

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
No, they shouldn't be. Once you do annotations they are all saved in the file. if you press "sync" those annotated files are being uploaded to DropBox, so you have the same annotated file everywhere.

Let me know if you have any difficulties. I might be able to show you a video or to follow up with an email.

Thanks

OK, good. I'm going to monitor it a bit more closely now to see where I've gone wrong with this batch. Thanks for your help!

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Has anyone tried PDF expert using fill-able IRS forms? My brother is looking for a good solution to use in the road for his tax clients. Thanks.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF Expert 3.2

Some great news from Readdle team!

PDF Expert 3.2 adds something very useful for everyone. The main star is full text search across your PDF library.

★ Document Search now looks far beyond the file name. It lets you find the needed documents faster and easier than ever before!

★ New sorting panel lets you reorder the files based on Name, Date or Modified Date. Just scroll the document list to the very top to reveal it, pretty much like in iBooks or Pages.

★ Support of "Tab" and arrow keys on the bluetooth keyboards when filling PDF forms makes the process lightning fast.

★ An eraser tool for your handwriting has arrived! It is located on the Pens toolbar and works exactly like you expect.

★ Handwriting and Wrist Protection are now better than in many note taking apps.

Moreover, we’ve implemented data protection API. So all documents in PDF Expert are secured.

Your feedback is appreciated! So we can keep improving our product.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for the update!

One thing I'm missing is the ability to see where my files are located after a search. That option used to be there, there was a little info icon I could click on which has now disappeared.

Do you have any intentions of introducing tags? Because that would do away with my 'which folder is it in' issue altogether (I currently sometimes have the same doc in a couple of different folders as they thematically belong to more than one category - tags would allow me to skip that kind of set up).

By the way, I love that you always have the 'undo' button available. There are other annotations apps in your price range that don't which I find a bit incomprehensible.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for the update!

One thing I'm missing is the ability to see where my files are located after a search. That option used to be there, there was a little info icon I could click on which has now disappeared.

Do you have any intentions of introducing tags? Because that would do away with my 'which folder is it in' issue altogether (I currently sometimes have the same doc in a couple of different folders as they thematically belong to more than one category - tags would allow me to skip that kind of set up).

By the way, I love that you always have the 'undo' button available. There are other annotations apps in your price range that don't which I find a bit incomprehensible.

Jojoba,

Thanks for the feedback. I passed your thoughts to our dev team.
We are currently working on media annotations to support video and audio, and much more.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
4.0 update

I am happy to share the news that PDF Expert 4.0 hits the AppStore with major improvements such as retina support, thumbnail view, PDF portfolio and much more.

PDFexpert-ad-banner-2-480x360-1.png

Your feedback is appreciated.

As always, the update is free for all existing users.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
If I have any documents not in PDF, I can still view them but if I want to do work on them, I just use the company's other app PDFConverter and then open in PDF Expert. Now, it would be really cool if PDF Expert had the ability to convert in-app, but guess thats just icing on the cake.

Nice app guys, thanks.
I'd buy this in a minute if it had PDF converter. I really don't mind paying extra for the converter service, I just hate to have to have a separate app to do something that seems to belong in package dealing with PDFs.

Other questions -
Can this open/read non-pdfs, like goodreader?
Is there a new text file option?

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I am happy to share the news that PDF Expert 4.0 hits the AppStore with major improvements such as retina support, thumbnail view, PDF portfolio and much more.

Your feedback is appreciated.

As always, the update is free for all existing users.

good job, as always. i like the changes.

one problem, though. i cannot select text ("crop mode") on some of my asian language (japanese and chinese) pdfs. ideally, i would like to be able to select vertical text (a feature available on android pdf readers) but even if i could have something like goodreader (selects all of the text on the page horizontally) that would be great.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
I'd buy this in a minute if it had PDF converter. I really don't mind paying extra for the converter service, I just hate to have to have a separate app to do something that seems to belong in package dealing with PDFs.

Other questions -
Can this open/read non-pdfs, like goodreader?
Is there a new text file option?

Yes, PDF Expert reads any other types of documents and unfortunately, you cannot create a txt file.

We are working on iCloud solution to integrate the document workflow in Readdle apps.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Yes, PDF Expert reads any other types of documents and unfortunately, you cannot create a txt file.

We are working on iCloud solution to integrate the document workflow in Readdle apps.

To clarify - cannot currently create a text file or it's not in the plans to be able to create a text file?

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
Yes indeed! We are already working on it. Stay tuned.

PDF Expert is a great App but I'm (and I guess many others too) still waiting for a way to sync documents with iCloud. You already indicated this service update for several times but nothing happened. Could you tell us when we can expect that update? Thank you.

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
[/COLOR]
anyway to improve smoothness of the PDF reader and the picture viewer?

I have to agree with matt on this. I am looking for a PDF utility, and great viewing performance is the most important feature. All the other features are meaningless if its sluggish just looking at the PDF.

I have been looking through some reviews, and this keeps cropping up, for example, in an otherwise glowing review for PDF Expert,

http://cynicalbabblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/pdf-editing-apps-2012-review/

" iAnnotate does not lag when zooming in and scrolling around the document
Goodreader & PDF Expert has a delayed reaction, especially around pdfs with graphics "

For $10, can we get the absolute fastest app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.