Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wireless.jpg

An internal AppleCare document published by 9to5Mac reveals that Apple is currently investigating complaints about poor Wi-Fi performance in some new iPad models.
In the United States, contact centers and retail stores should capture iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi only devices if they exhibit any issue related to Wi-Fi.

Symptoms can include, but are not limited to:

- Intermittent connectivity
- Slow Wi-Fi speeds
- Wi-Fi network not seen.
This policy seems limited to Wi-Fi models and not to the LTE models. Affected customers will reportedly get their iPad replaced and their unit sent to Apple hardware engineers for further investigation.

User reports of weak Wi-Fi signals began shortly after the new iPad's launch.

Article Link: Apple Replacing and Investigating New iPads with Wi-Fi Problems

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Just another reason to hold off waiting "The Brand New Anything" until the real reviews come out: consumer complaints.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My three is actually faster and holds it's connection to my 5GHZ network better than my 1 or 2 did. One day I'll get the lemon of all Apple lemons..(Sorry about all the fruit analogies) but to date, Everything I have purchased from them has been A!....:)

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I've noticed really slow wifi on an iPad1 since the software update on March 7th.

My guess is the issue is in the iOS version 5.1, not the hardware of the new iPad.

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Well, a true mac fan will never know that you do not buy an apple product on launch day because of the issues that come with it. And some of them cannot be fixed with software updates. Or maybe psychology wise we shouldn't hear about them at all :>

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Mine was sort of doing this. On my couch downstairs it would only see my Wireless G network yet I have a Wireless N that is actually closer (both upstairs). My laptop and phone see both and shows the N as being stronger. I also couldn't really surf from there while holding it, I had to click something then lay it down on my lap and the signal would increase, like you'd see with smartphones (that whole antennagate thing). Luckily I don't use it down there much.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Every version of the iPad has had worse wifi reception than a typical computer. It's a low power mobile wifi chip, and it's surrounded on 3 sides by signal-blocking aluminum.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
How is this news? Apple does these captures on literally *every* new product, even updated Macs. It's called an EFFA capture (Early Field Failure Analysis) and they do it so they can retool the assembly line to rev products if necessary for fixes (MacBook Pro's SATA ports last year being a perfect example).

I hate sensationalist reporting.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
LOL

How about fixing LTE so it works with existing global networks*

*or Apple can continue to pay for false advertising, if it so wishes.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I mean no disrespect. But the first thing that came to mind was:

"Then don't hold it like that.

Steve

Sent from my HoliPhone"

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
People seem to have WiFi problems with all Apple devices, not just iPads

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I've noticed really slow wifi on an iPad1 since the software update on March 7th.

My guess is the issue is in the iOS version 5.1, not the hardware of the new iPad.
Not a single problem here though on the first gen iPad.

Ofcourse these things are sporadically.

It also seems that there's only a small amount of iPads with the problem, considering the customer satisfaction of a few days back, so it's good they are going to investigate the few problems, I think many manufacterers would just replace the product and not care what could've caused the loss.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How is this news? Apple does these captures on literally *every* new product, even updated Macs. It's called an EFFA capture (Early Field Failure Analysis) and they do it so they can retool the assembly line to rev products if necessary for fixes (MacBook Pro's SATA ports last year being a perfect example).

I hate sensationalist reporting.

People who are affected may want to know they can get it replaced.

SD456

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Hungary
Problems...

Another Apple product having reception problems ? I hope they fix these problems soon, I want to buy my "New" iPad in the next month. :apple:

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
So uh, can the mods unlock this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1348160/
So all those apologists and fanboys who viciously flamed this dude can apologize?

I had the same problem as that guy. Wifi chip was fried, wouldn't connect to anything. Returned it for a replacement which works fine.

Xcode console said wifi chip failure which is how I knew for definite it was broken.

Also after 3 attempts to connect it kernel panicked and rebooted.

iamjose

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2011
how would you go about checking this? I mean, is this just a "I think my iPad has trouble connecting to wifi..." feeling??

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
This is gonna be another "your just nitpicking" debate from the fan boys!

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
So all those apologists and fanboys who viciously flamed this dude can apologize?

This is why I do not contribute to these forums much. People spam and troll as bad as on youtube and icanhas.

My experience is to never buy new Apple products when they first launch, especially new products or when they have a major overhall. iMac G4 to G5 for example, first gen G5s had plenty of problems. First aluminium iMacs, first Mac Minis, first iPhone 4's. I tend to skip the first gen and wait for the second, sometimes mid-cycle first generations get revised by Apple, some components are changed or added.

I've been having problems since Lion update on OS X. My Two MacBook Pro and one MacBook just say "can't connect" at times, requiring me to reboot the Macs. Tried three routers. Every other device I have connects fine. For another thread.

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

I think anyone who starts going on about a post Steve Jobs Apple being doomed for failure will be flamed. It's fine to report an issue with the new iPad and see who else is affected, but to start going on about post Steve Jobs Apple is just trolling/derailing their own post/topic.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I think anyone who starts going on about a post Steve Jobs Apple being doomed for failure will be flamed. It's fine to report an issue with the new iPad and see who else is affected, but to start going on about post Steve Jobs Apple is just trolling/derailing their own post/topic.

A lot of people have high expectations, when those expectations are not fulfilled, people will be pissed and vent.
The guy went through a substantial number of devices at much cost to himself due to transportation. All worthy of a raised middle finger in the general direction of Cupertino...
I see MUCH more hateful comments made about employees of Apple's rivals for far less affronts to the person who posted. I know two wrongs don't make a right but if you aren't able to filter Internet Hyperbole and get past the dudes disappointment and see that their is an issue without being a complete dick, you got way bigger issues than the original OP and his opinion. I mean come on, attacking the dude's wife? They must be super bored or super lonely. That's all I can figure out. They need to go hug their Ipads and gently whisper sweet nothings into the mic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.