Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in late February, we noted that Apple had begun selling Brazilian-assembled 8 GB iPhone 4 models in that country, yielding the first fruits from Foxconn's production lines starting up in the country. Foxconn has also been said to be gearing up for iPad production in Brazil, with domestic production of the iPhone and iPad providing a means by which Apple could avoid hefty import taxes in one of the world's most populous countries.

While Apple has yet to begin selling Brazilian-assembled versions of the iPhone 4S or even give any sign that it intends to do so, MacRumors has learned that Apple has been making better progress with the iPad. Specifically, the company has already received certification to sell Brazilian-assembled models of the 16 GB iPad 2 in Brazil alongside the current Chinese-assembled models. Apple already sells the full line of iPad 2 models in Brazil, but only the 16 GB models will continue to be available once the new iPad launches and it appears that Apple will be adding domestically-assembled models to the mix at that time.

ipad_3_brazil.jpg

Regarding the new iPad, certifications for all models of the new iPad are still pending for both Brazilian- and Chinese-assembled models, but it is clear that the company is making preparations to launch the device with at least some domestic production in Brazil. Apple will, however, be unable to launch the new iPad in Brazil until appropriate certifications are received, and the company has yet to announce a launch date for the device.

As with the iPhone, Chinese-assembled versions of iPad models manufactured for sale in Brazil would carry the BZ/A suffix on their model numbers as seen with most Apple products in that market, while their Brazilian-assembled counterparts would carry a BR/A suffix.

Article Link: Apple Gains Certification to Sell Brazilian-Assembled iPad 2, New iPad Certification Pending

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
More national diversity in manufacturing should add stability to Apple's options, which is also good for us as consumers, as we have seen the problems when one area gets flooded and the world gets hard drive shortages.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Have the iPhone prices been lowered due to the lack of import tax? If not, what's the point of all this?

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Just me, or does it seem like the apple products that are built in Brazil seems like they will be of High Quality/Better Built? I Sure think so.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
More national diversity in manufacturing should add stability to Apple's options, which is also good for us as consumers, as we have seen the problems when one area gets flooded and the world gets hard drive shortages.

Not really. I find it hard to believe that those Brazilian made models will be an economical viable alternative to the Chinese made ones. Production costs are way too high here to make it worth the effort.

With the absurd high import taxes and the huge market for Apple here, it's worth making the investment to assemble them here. But I'm pretty sure they are only aiming at the Brazilian market.

I'm pretty sure that the units "produced" here will cost much more to Apple than their Chinese counterpart.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I could see apple building products here in the states. THe mid west has such a low cost of living it wouldn't be that hard.

yet battling with unions most likely kills that idea.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Have the iPhone prices been lowered due to the lack of import tax? If not, what's the point of all this?

Nope. In fact they got costier since the release of the iPhone 4S.

It's a pretty smart move by Apple and Foxcon, and the Brazilian government is happy to have them here. But in practical terms, it makes little practical difference to the customers (Brazilian or not).

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I swear I still don't see the point in that factory. Apple isn't likely going to reduce the price of the iPads produced here, just as they haven't reduced the price of the iPhones, so for the consumer it doesn't really make a difference (actually, the only difference it could make is in quality, as I wouldn't be surprised if quality control is far worse here than in China). It's going to increase Apple's profit per unit sold, since the money the consumers paid that went to fuel taxes is now going to Apple, but the cost of building a new factory here was likely very high (and all our politicians ought to have asked for very high bribes in order to allow for Apple's factory to be build). All the security measures taken in China to prevent leaks simply don't exist here. And production is likely going to be limited to a few products, given the bureaucracy required in order to make stuff here.

Why did Apple even bother with that factory?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why did Apple even bother with that factory?
One word. Politics.

Items made in Brazil are likely to get approved for sale faster and with less hassle.

I actually expect enough product to be assembled in Brazil eventually for Apple to be able to export some of it to other nearby countries.

henryrodrigo

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
The word "Resolucionário" does not exists in portuguese, it should be "Revolucionário" (Revolutionary). :)

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
The word "Resolucionário" does not exists in portuguese, it should be "Revolucionário" (Revolutionary). :)

That's from Apple's site, its the same word play seen on the English site. They are playing with the words "Revolutionary" and "Resolution" (or, in Portuguese, Revolucionário and Resolução) to point how the new iPad has a high resolution.

I actually expect enough product to be assembled in Brazil eventually for Apple to be able to export some of it to other nearby countries.

I would expect product quality to be inferior for products made here than for products made in China. I'm not sure Apple would have much of a profit exporting things made here.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Just me, or does it seem like the apple products that are built in Brazil seems like they will be of High Quality/Better Built? I Sure think so.

For all the flack China gets, I find their products to be increasingly high quality. South American manufacturing I'm not a fan of. Besides, I thought they've been delayed due to quality control issues down there as well.

Diversification is great, but Brazil shouldn't be rewarded for protectionism. The US and EU should tariff them equally. And, to top it off, Brazil is constantly whining about China for being unfair.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brazil. I just want them to play as fair as China. And I don't think China plays fair.

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica

Not at all... I'm sorry to say this, but my experience with Brazilian products hasn't been good.

MarcosSilva

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
São Paulo, Brasil
Apple Brazilian Prodcuts

Unfortunatelly, my country have high taxes. Foxconn has built a new factory here and honestly i thought that the Iphone, Ipad would be cheaply. Today when a employee is hired, the company have about 88% of taxes...Terrible. So, how Apple can sell their products cheaper.

Wake BRASIL.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Good question. If the prices have not been lowered, then the difference goes to Apple's bottom line, so that would be the point. And I think making more money for the company is always the point. Everything else being equal, bringing manufacturing closer to markets is always more efficient.

Awhile back I got into a debate over why the cost of the iPhone in Brazil is "so much higher than in the U.S." It turns out that the Brazilian real is one of the world's most highly valued currencies today, and the U.S. dollar is very weak. As a result, virtually any item priced in U.S. dollars is going to look very cheap to Brazilians.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.