Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nappy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Hey guys,

Anyway to fix this? My architectural renderings look like ass on iPad ans I want to show them to people. I email myself a high res image from my computer..when I download pic to iPad and zoom in, it looks like crap way worse than on my crappy monitors at work...any workaround ? Ty

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Perhaps the ridiculous high res screen? If you can transfer them over through iTunes or pluggin in to your Mac/pc, you should see if the look better that way.

nappy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Not the screen

Het bat dont think it's the screen the images are blurry

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys,

Anyway to fix this? My architectural renderings look like ass on iPad ans I want to show them to people. I email myself a high res image from my computer..when I download pic to iPad and zoom in, it looks like crap way worse than on my crappy monitors at work...any workaround ? Ty

Depending on how you email them.
When using a Mac and emailing pictures it gives you a choice on the bottom as to what size to send them in.
I don't know how windows handles it.
Also when you save the pics to the photo app are they still as bad looking?
As an alternative you could upload them to dropbox and get them through the iPad that way in full rez.

nappy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Hey an

Resolution of images 3000 x 4000 pixels
72 dpi

----------

I tried Dropbox as well and they were emailed from a windows computer at original resolution . I assume it's the dpi? Should I scale it up in PS?

Thanks !

nappy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Hey duke

Hey Duke,

Do you think it has to do with DPI?
It just seems unacceptable that I can't really show my work on a iPad which supposedly has an higher resolution screen but in the end when I zoom in everything looks blurry.

If it does have to do with DP can I just increased the size of my image file in Photoshop to a higher dpi?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
That's a pretty low DPI. You probably want something closer to 300 or 600 DPI, especially if you are going to be zooming in.

Hey an

Resolution of images 3000 x 4000 pixels
72 dpi

----------

I tried Dropbox as well and they were emailed from a windows computer at original resolution . I assume it's the dpi? Should I scale it up in PS?

Thanks !

Derango

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
That's a pretty low DPI. You probably want something closer to 300 or 600 DPI, especially if you are going to be zooming in.

A 3000x4000 image at 300 dpi is going to be 10 inches x 13 inches, so it's plenty high res so it won't look like crap on an ipad screen.

DPI value only tells the system how many pixels per inch it should try to shove in and only comes into play when you print something, generally. when you're viewing on the screen DPI means almost nothing and it's all about how high the resolution is.

by the way, Increasing the DPI value in photoshop won't have any effect on the image when viewing it on the screen unless the image was created at that DPI to begin with. Otherwise it's just pre-zooming it basically.

nappy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Ok the problem... Is APPLE

Okay guys,

I tried syncing the photos from my Windows PC directly to the iPad through iTunes and the resolution of the photos were much higher and not blurry. So the problem is when I email photos and download them from my email or when I access the photos from dropbox, this is a problem with Apple. I really don't understand why something so basic doesn't even work properly I mean you go on a computer that's 10 years old and photos will show up in original resolution why the hell does Apple have to downsample everything?

However most importantly has anyone also experienced and noticed this and is there a solution? Thank you

I really appreciate the retina display however What's the planes if it CHOOSES to display pictures on par with 8-bit graphics on my game boy?

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Sounds like they are getting down sampled somewhere. Try using something like Good Reader to interface with Dropbox and download them that way. Added bonus you get a decent file management software to organize your drawings.

nappy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Nhmm

Hey guys ,

It is definitely not gmail downsampling the images as they look fine when I zoom in super close on any other computer. It is APPLE. Any workaround for this? It is quite ridiculous

BigButa

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
Dropbox downsizes photos

Dropbox downsizes photos when you upload them. You'll have to go into settings (looks like a cog wheel) in the dropbox iPad app and specify that photos get uploaded in their original size.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Okay guys,

I tried syncing the photos from my Windows PC directly to the iPad through iTunes and the resolution of the photos were much higher and not blurry. So the problem is when I email photos and download them from my email or when I access the photos from dropbox, this is a problem with Apple. I really don't understand why something so basic doesn't even work properly I mean you go on a computer that's 10 years old and photos will show up in original resolution why the hell does Apple have to downsample everything?

However most importantly has anyone also experienced and noticed this and is there a solution? Thank you

I really appreciate the retina display however What's the planes if it CHOOSES to display pictures on par with 8-bit graphics on my game boy?

How the hell would Apple be downsizing your images? They aren't sitting around monitoring your downloads and don't care about the size or resolution of your images. It very well could be your ISP. They are the only common denominator in all of this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.