Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Your probably just a creature of habit and need to get used to it.

I don't use my iPhone to go on the full site version of the nytimes :p give me a good mobile version! that way I dont have to use up all my data and it loads faster.

Besides... If you don't like it simply go to the bottom and hit "full site"

Yup creature of habit I am.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
lol I like it just fine, but I will say this:

I thought the big deal about smartphones was seeing the whole internet. What's the point of turning a $500 piece of high tech into something no better than a Motorola Razr browsing WAP sites.

chrisbetty

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
That was always a big issue for me with macrumors before now... the mobile version of the forums sucked! You were basically forced to use the full site which loads slower, used up more data, and you always had to zoom in to see anything :(

Not anymore though. This mobile format of the forums now is damn beautiful and I am loving the new layout :D

I never really liked the mobile site,just added MacRumors on Tapatalk,Never been happier

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I preferred the old way. I have a phone with a 4.3" screen and an excellent wifi router at home, I don't need watered down versions of websites. :(

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY

I thought the big deal about smartphones was seeing the whole internet. What's the point of turning a $500 piece of high tech into something no better than a Motorola Razr browsing WAP sites.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I started seeing "iPhone optimized" sites...

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

They can develop the site to be full featured, but fit the screen of your device. You can have the whole internet, but modify it to fix on a more narrow screen.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

First off, the mobile websites of today are a huge step above WAP. This:
myblog.png

is NOT indicative of how we view mobile websites today. For most phones, there was no touch interface. Graphics were barely there, if at all. And even the text looked pretty bad.

If you were really lucky, you could get something a little nicer on your PDA:

avantgo.gif

But that often required a proxy service that you had to pay extra for, and the info was synced periodically, not in real-time. Unless you were really enterprising and new how to modify a sync cable to hook up to your non-smart cellphone, and use CSD to pull in new content at a rip-roaring 9.6kbps. Or, you had a lot of money and could get yourself one of those early smartphones, that got about the same 9.6kbps data speed.

(Yes, I admit, I used to do this back in the day.)

And with WAP, there was no choice. Either a site had a mobile-optimized, WAP-Compliant website, or it simply couldn't be seen on your phone, at all. with current handsets, the option is there for a content provider to make a mobile site, but their lack of desire or inability to make one doesn't mean you're out of luck.

The point remains usability. Done right, a mobile-optimized layout lets you quickly digest data in a touch-friendly interface in a design optimized for a small screen. It's often better than having to zoom in and out to look at certain parts of a web page to get the into you want, or scrolling all over the place. the physics of fingers on a small screen remains an issue that the current technology has to contend with.

There are also things that multitouch mobile interfaces do really well, like tapping through menus to get routine tasks done quickly, or the way you can swipe to "flip" through pages on a tablet, which isn't' as easy or natural to do on a mouse/keyboard/screen interface. Might as well take advantage of that.

Don't get me wrong: I really don't like when sites FORCE you to use a mobile interface, and don't give you the option of seeing the full version if you want it. Usually the same sites that do this are also the ones that did a lousy job of implementing the mobile interface, making the mobile site nearly useless anyway.

Last edited:

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
First off, the mobile websites of today are a huge step above WAP. This:
is NOT indicative of how we view mobile websites today. For most phones, there was no touch interface. Graphics were barely there, if at all. And even the text looked pretty bad.

If you were really lucky, you could get something a little nicer on your PDA:

But that often required a proxy service that you had to pay extra for, and the info was synced periodically, not in real-time. Unless you were really enterprising and new how to modify a sync cable to hook up to your non-smart cellphone, and use CSD to pull in new content at a rip-roaring 9.6kbps. Or, you had a lot of money and could get yourself one of those early smartphones, that got about the same 9.6kbps data speed.

(Yes, I admit, I used to do this back in the day.)

And with WAP, there was no choice. Either a site had a mobile-optimized, WAP-Compliant website, or it simply couldn't be seen on your phone, at all. with current handsets, the option is there for a content provider to make a mobile site, but their lack of desire or inability to make one doesn't mean you're out of luck.

The point remains usability. Done right, a mobile-optimized layout lets you quickly digest data in a touch-friendly interface in a design optimized for a small screen. It's often better than having to zoom in and out to look at certain parts of a web page to get the into you want, or scrolling all over the place. the physics of fingers on a small screen remains an issue that the current technology has to contend with.

There are also things that multitouch mobile interfaces do really well, like tapping through menus to get routine tasks done quickly, or the way you can swipe to "flip" through pages on a tablet, which isn't' as easy or natural to do on a mouse/keyboard/screen interface. Might as well take advantage of that.

Don't get me wrong: I really don't like when sites FORCE you to use a mobile interface, and don't give you the option of seeing the full version if you want it. Usually the same sites that do this are also the ones that did a lousy job of implementing the mobile interface, making the mobile site nearly useless anyway.
Oh man I remember this
Can't believe how far we've come since that lol. I remember one of my friends used to have a PDA and I would bug him every class to use it to browse the "internet"

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Your probably just a creature of habit and need to get used to it.

I don't use my iPhone to go on the full site version of the nytimes :p give me a good mobile version! that way I dont have to use up all my data and it loads faster.

Besides... If you don't like it simply go to the bottom and hit "full site"

That pretty much doesn't exist...anywhere

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Wow, I had no idea it finally got a mobile version. Thanks for the heads up!

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
It's fast. Looks good on the iPhone as well but it's too bad you can't the +/- on the posts or the views/posts on a thread when in the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.