Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I feel exactly the same way. My PS3 plays video perfectly. Unfortunately it sounds like a jet engine, and when my kid's asleep I can't turn the TV volume up loud enough to hear over it.

Do u have the original (piano black) version. Agree that the fan is loud on it.
This Christmas I got the slimmer version at a great deal. And I must say that this runs pretty quiet
PS3 is definitely a beast when it comes to playing back videos. Even handles the interlaced stuff very well
Only thing missing. The ability to stream videos with DTS soundtracks.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
Do u have the original (piano black) version. Agree that the fan is loud on it.
This Christmas I got the slimmer version at a great deal. And I must say that this runs pretty quiet
PS3 is definitely a beast when it comes to playing back videos. Even handles the interlaced stuff very well
Only thing missing. The ability to stream videos with DTS soundtracks.

Yes, I have the 60GB version from launch. I'm considering buying a Sony S590 Blu-ray player to see if it streams media as well as the PS3. That would be a relatively inexpensive (and silent) option.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Just use a 2009/2010 Mini with XBMC and everything is solved. With SwitchResX you can set it on 23.976Hz, or at 47.952 Hz (I used that setting as my display does accept 47.952Hz, but not 23.976), and enjoy judderfree 24p content, and switch back on the fly to 60 for games, or to 50 for PAL content (DVB-T TV broadcasts I run with an USB tuner stick over here). For 20€ you can even add a bus-powered BD drive (or replace the built in one for 100$, yes the slot loading ones are crazy expensive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.